“Amazing act of kindness and honesty by hotel staff”
Review of Stella Maris

Stella Maris
Ranked #117 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Houston, Texas
“Amazing act of kindness and honesty by hotel staff”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Stella Maris many years ago but we will never forget our experience there. One day during our stay at the Stella Maris, we realized that all of the money that we had left to pay for our return home had been lost somewhere in the city or hotel. A few minutes later, we got a call from the front desk asking if we had lost some money. It was, indeed, our lost cash, and after we identified it, it was immediately delivered to our hotel room. We will be forever grateful to the hotel staff for returning it to us.

Room Tip: Sorry but our stay was so long ago that we do not recall anything about the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whome75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bogotá
Reviewed July 11, 2012

the Stella Maris is only about 20 minutes (or up to 1 hour, if the traffic is bad) away from the international airport.
It´s located in front of a small park where 2-3 times a week a market takes place (from clothes up to food).
A few blocks away, you´ll find the Reforma shopping center.

The hotel counts with a small exercise room now (2-3 treadmills; exercise bikes) which is not very inviting - but helps you, if you want to move your body.

The rooms are clean and practical. A bit small and without minibar.
Nevertheless - for USD 40/night, it´s a great value for money!!!

On the top floor, there used to be a swim-up bar:
The bar´s closed; the pool is still there - but a bit shabby and not inviting.

The staff is friendly and helpful. Good service.
Breakfast was not included in the price - but for aprox. USD 10 you get a comprehensive breakfast buffet.
The restaurant also offers dinner - good value for money.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing to the front side (park)!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tom_brd
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this place. It's a no-frills place that provided everything I need without nickle and diming me for every additional service. Sure, the wifi was not terribly reliable, but I got it in my room and didn't have to pay extra...or enter a long, complicated password a dozen times before I got it right. Restaurant was fine, staff were nice and helpful...didn't speak English, but why should they....I don't speak Spanish. Got lots of use out of my Spanish for beginners phrase book and dictionary.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank CanuckTravelGuyAB
Oaxaca
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I had a terrible experience. If you get a room in the back, off the street, there is a dog that barks all night on the roof of a neighboring building. Then there was a party until 5 am. And when I complained the person at the desk was very rude and told me that he would have to move half of the hotel if everyone complained like I did and that if he did move me to the street side that I would complain about the street noise. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone. The food was also awful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TiburcioSanz
Miami
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed for 4 nights at the Stella Maris. We were pleasantly surprised about the hotel. Nice and clean rooms, close to center, Zona Rosa and Condesa, friendly staff and moderately priced.

Only downside is, that there is really nothing in terms of restaurants/entertainment around the hotel, but Zona Rosa is only a couple of minutes away.

We ate ones at the restaurant, food was okay.

Overall, we were very pleased and will definitely stay at the Stella Maris again, when we visit Mexico City next time.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Marc M
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed September 7, 2005

I LOVE this place! I've stayed here 3 times and the staff greets me each time as if I were family. The rooms are clean, comfortable. There is a wonderful park across the street where we have gone several times and have made friends there - dogs as well as people! The restaurant food is wonderful, the staff is courteous and always makes me feel special. I feel so comfortable here and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank SuzieQ8733
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed December 21, 2003

Stella Maris, located directly across from Sullivan Park, is a neat hotel designed for today's business or leisure traveler to Mexico City.
This hotel is close to the Zona Rosa, downtown, and the historic district. The rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable. It has a wonderful restaurant with a changing menu every day from Paella, to great gourmet seafood and meat dishes at very reasonable prices. Alof of the hotel guests and local business community stop by for a relaxing lunch which usually starts about 1 p.m.

Most of the hotel guests are business people and the hotel goes out of its way to make sure the guest is satisfied. The prices are reasonable and will not give you the sticker shock that you get in the Zona Rosa, which is only a few blocks away. If you have to travel anywhere, just grab a cab in front of the hotel. For a few dollars you can go for few miles. This hotel is worth it!

5 Thank Lancer2005