“Did not meet my expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Roble

Hotel Roble
Ranked #138 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Mexico City, Mexico
“Did not meet my expectations”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am not staying here again, I do not consider myself a picky person but I found a pubic hair in my bed the first day (stayed 4 nights). The only thing I want is a clean bed (or at least one without hairs on it). Room 215 has no A/C, problem is that the restaurant is below the room so we had to sleep with our windows open and all the kitchen smells went directly into my room. Did not like it! It is very well located, though.

Room Tip: Room 215 has no AC, it might get suffocated at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank covac82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brunswick Heads, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Close to Zocalo, restaurants, transport & museums. Clean rooms, serviced daily. Free Wifi & bottled water. Considering location, our room was very quiet. Good hot showers! Staff helpful but lacking personality and English (so bring a little Spanish with you...). TV in room but no English channel. If you can cope with this, this is a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LIS266
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

first of all I am a white younger canadian with really basic spanish. so the price was 430 pesos for one night and the guy at the front desk give it to me for 395!!

i have been travelling across mexico for the last 2 weeks and this is the nicest/cleanest hotel i have stayed at. i always go for hotel cheaper than 500 pesos/night.

walking distance to everything.

the pros :

11 hangers, 2 bottles of water (worth 12 pesos each at the convitient store) nice washroom, flat screen tv, safe in the room, 4 big towels, 2 hands towels, 2 extra pillow cases, small room but space used efficiently, solid doors, curtains that axtualy block 100% of the outside light, comfy bed, big mirror on the side of the bed. everything look newish.

the cons :
no fan in washroom just a window (typical of mexico), no A.C but with the big fan over the bed its alright.

look like i have quiet neighbours or its just soundproof. always have earplugs in case.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank kckail
Eureka, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place. I arrived somewhat in shock by the smog, noise, and crowds in Mexico City, so my first impression was not a fair one. I stepped through a drab exterior, off a very crowded street, into a tiny lobby. I was not impressed. However, although it was small, I found our room to be very clean and well maintained, quite well organized, and although lacking in much character, nicely appointed. The shower had very good water pressure and plenty of hot water (not lightly dismissed in Mexico). The bed was comfortable, although the pillows were like rocks--big rocks. Our room was on the street, so it was pretty noisy, although it did quiet down for enough hours in the night for us to get good nights' sleep. I did have a problem with the fact that our TV remote was bolted to the wall above our bed, so that I had to get on my knees and try to change channels looking over my shoulder. It turned out not to matter much, since I couldn't find anything in English anyway. There is a safe available in the room, although you need to put a deposit down at the desk to get the lock. Not a problem, since you get the deposit back.

The restaurant is just OK. It's probably a stupid thing to order a martini in Mexico, but I really wanted one, and it was probably the worst I'd ever had. Go for the wine--it's much better. We had just a couple of meals there, and they were adequate, but not great.

The location is very good, near Metro stops and some attractions, and much is within walking distance. We did learn to be very comfortable for the four nights we were there. If we were to be in Mexico City much longer, I would look for something different. We often like to return to our hotel in the mid-to-late afternoon to rest and read, and there really isn't anyplace inviting to do this. The rooms are small and there is not a comfortable lounge area, patio, etc. It is, however, a very good value. Like I said, I have mixed feelings, but for a short visit, I might stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mrstuna
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed for one night at the end of our trip. This hotel is very close to the zocalo and centro historico -- if you want to be in the thick of things, then this place is a great option. Our room was definitely smaller than most U.S. hotels, but it was clean and there was plenty of hot water. The staff was helpful in arranging a wake-up call and taxi for our early morning flight. However, the taxi service was actually a private driver who works with the hotel. He drove a regular car not painted or licensed as a taxi. We were nervous and sort of awkwardly inquired who this guy was, but the ride ended up fine, and the driver took us directly to the airport and charged a flat fee ($140 pesos). We just wish that the hotel staff would have explained the private car situation to us so that we didn't feel so uncomfortable getting into an unmarked car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Kaitlyn Q
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is very clean and rooms look new - no old bathrooms here! It is located 2 blocks from the Zocalo in the Centro Historic District. The best location. Some staff speak english. They also offer a 10% discount at the atttached restaurant. The fresh buns are really good. I had a filet of fish mero which was a big portion and was very good. The service at the restaurant is not that great, but you cant have everything. Flat screen t.v with English channels hard to find.
Getting WIFi was a little troublesome and the walls are paper thin-you can hear everything in the hallways and even in the rooms that are close. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: My requests for a specific room were unheaded
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GYPSETTER49
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Good, clean and safe hotel located near the Zocalo however be prepared if you don't speak fluent Spanish. The front desk staff are rude and unhelpful. We speak basic Spanish but this was nowhere near good enough and we were basically ignored. A smile is universal but you won't get that from the front desk at anytime during your stay. The housekeepers on the other hand are lovely!

If I was to recommend any friends to stay in Mexico City I would tell them to check out a hostel instead. This area had no international tourists, if you are keen to meet and mingle with other travelers don't bother with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013