“Clean budget hotel”

Ranked #244 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Brisbane, Australia
“Clean budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Mallorca as part of a tour group. My friend and I arrived a day earlier in Mexico city to undertake an extra day of sightseeing.

In total we stayed 3 nights. The room was adequate for 2 persons, we each had a double single bed. The bathroom was a good size and the shower had hot water. I had no issues with cleanliness.

The first night we had some difficulty with the air con which services the whole hotel, so cannot be controlled individually by each room, but soon found that there is a lever which can be opened or closed. It is noted that the air con does switch on and off throughout the day and appears to switch off during the night. Rooms can become stuffy and there are no fans, but there is a window that can be opened. During my stay I did not encounter any mosquitos.

The hotel has it's own resturant which I utilised a number of times for breakfast. Not especially cheap food (for Mexico) but had no complaints. There is a supermarket next door which has a bakery and chemist inside. There is also an ATM there.

The staff at the hotel were very accommodating and were happy to assist whenever possible. Though they spoke little English, they were very forgiving when practicing my Spanish on them.

The hotel is located about 20 minutes from the airport and close to most destinations of interest. Transport is easily accessible from the hotel. There is free wi- fi which was fairly efficient. The rooms are serviced daily and complimentary bottled water provided each day upon housekeeping.

All in all a sufficient hotel to stay in while in the big city.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Kawm2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Queretaro City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel since I stayed for the first time 4 years ago.
It is my usual hotel in Mexico City.
Its location is priviledged just a block from Insurgentes and two blocks from Reforma. You can leave the car in the parking lot of the hotel and move in public transportation if desired.
Rooms are ok, clean, not new, but comfortable beds.
I recommend to ask for rooms not facing the street, noise would be a problem sometimes.
Price is reasonable.
You can enjoy your stay.
It is better to book, usually it seems to be full.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mexwanderer
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

very basic but spacious rooms, comfortable beds, just a few minutes from the zocalo..friendly staff, cleaning fine..people ready to help you for anything you may need..what would you expect more for that price?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank begumgur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

rooms are not so big but with all the necessary things (tv, AC, room service).
the location is very good, near the city center (on foot) and the staff is very friendly but not everybody speaks english.
the restaurant is good, with mexican and international food.
is a good hotel, also for its low price

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank vasaio012
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

This is a very basic, very clean hotel, with great service and extremely kind and helpful staff. I felt completely at home here. The men at the desk would always give me advise if I was going out alone as to whether or not the neighborhood I was traveling to was safe, how to get there, etc. I do speak Spanish, so it was lovely for me to be able to get to know those at work there. Everyday we were offered room service of very high quality--sparkling clean. it is close to the Zona Rosa and the Centro Hisorico, the Modern Art Mseum, Museum of Anthropology and many other sites. Within a bus ride of other sites if walking is a bit much. Located in Colonio San Rafael, a modest neighborhood, there are a lot of great little restaurants of good value, both Mexican style food, and food from other places. I liked the neighborhood feel rather than a touristy atmosphere. Cyber cafes within a block, big grocery store next door, park across the street. We paid about $22 American per day for a single. Great value. The only thing that could be a little difficult for some is that it is basic: no gym, no lounge, no kitchenette rooms, but there is a little restaurant downstairs. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ReinaMaria
madison, wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Mallorca Hotel is great. The price is excellent (about $25 USD a night), for a large clean room, cable TV, clean bathroom. The cafe/restaurant downstairs is good. It's a bit far from the very center of town, but you are near Ave. Insurgentes. I also stayed in a hostel for $20 a night in mexico city, to share a room with 3 other people, and it was awful. I should have stayed the rest of the trip at the Mallorca Hotel.

Most of the staff do not speak English too well, so I would keep a phrase book handy if you don't speak spanish.

• Liked — price, amenities
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank madisonannie53703
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

For the past ten years or so, this has been my hotel of choice when visiting Mexico City. It is not fancy nor frilly, but provides you with all your basic needs. Located near El Monumento a La Madre, a ten minute walk to Metro Insurgentes and the Zona Rosa, Hotel Mallorca is close to many major places of interest. It is also located right next door to Aurrera, a grocery store chain owned by Wal-Mart. We went there several times, to buy bottled water, toiletries, and baked goods. The hotel also has a large parking garage, which you probably won't need, but it's there. The hotel is on a side street, so it's not noisy at all.

The hotel is very clean and has wireless internet service in the lobby. There is also a restaurant/bar on the ground floor, that serves delicious Mexican food. It also provides room service for a 10% charge. The staff are very friendly and helpful at the hotel. The waiters were very attentive -- my husband would get a coffee to go in the morning, and a beer to go at night; after the second day, the waiters instinctively knew what to get my husband as he walked into the restaurant before he even ordered! If you need to exchange your dollars, you can do it right at the front desk. Also, the front desk can reserve tours/excursions for you. They also have safety deposit boxes in the hotel, but we didn't need to use them. We locked up any valuables in our luggage, and didn't have any problems.

The rooms are simple, spacious, and clean. The hotel offers a variety of rooms, such as sencilla (simple), jr. suites, and suites. Some rooms have showers only, others have tubs. We got the simple room, with shower only. There is plenty of closet space to put your clothes away. The hotel does have laundry service, which is expensive. We opted to go to a laundromat 1.5 blocks away that provides service for a reasonable fee (they charge by the kilo). Every day we had a new bottle of water in our room.

The bellboys are extremely attentive and friendly. Since I have been going to the Mallorca for some time now, I have noticed that the staff has not changed much. I recognize the waiters, desk staff, and bellboys. I was last in Mexico City in 2004, so I think that the staffing speaks volumes about its service.

Again, this is a clean, simple hotel, so don't expect a chocolate on your pillow. Expect a bottle of water instead, great food, friendly staff, ideal location, all for a great price. For a simple room with a double bed (cama matrimonial), we paid $240 pesos/night, about $22 USD! For a nine night stay, we paid approximately $230 USD! I highly recommend the Mallorca!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The pillow
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank Glorisa