“Decent Mexico City Hotel”
Review of Emporio Reforma

Emporio Reforma
Ranked #28 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Just returned from 3 nights at Emporio Reforma. It is a smallish hotel, looks stylish throughout. Seemed to have several security people in the lobby at all times.

We stayed in a Junior Suite, 610. It has a separate living area with a chaise lounge and chair; this is open to the bedroom, making both areas seem bigger. A nice touch was the tv and dvd pivoted so as to be viewed from either area. By "normal" US standards the suite might be a regular sized room. There was a small closet but tons of drawers. In the closet is a small safe which we utilized and had no problems with. The bath is a decent size, jacuzzi tub that produced some disturbing dirt after use, but not unexpected, the shower was great. We were supplied with 2 bottles of water per day. The decor in the room was contemporary but the door looked very old and motel-ish. The lobby was attractive. There was supposedly internet access via cord in the room but we could not get it to work. There is free wifi in the first 2 floors but you have to get a code from the desk in order to activate it, but worked great. The room was very clean. Also our room was not connected to any other rooms, so other than hallway noise, was very quiet.

The hotel is in a business area, atm's very near by and also money exchangers. One of my biggest gripes is that the hotel did not seem to have a concierge. Our welcome at the hotel was less than warm, but how many hotels in large cities are that welcoming?
The food at breakfast was good. They certainly prefer you eat off the buffet than order off the menu. The buffet had several types of fruit, ham, cheese and cottage cheese, yogurt. The hot foods consisted of chili quiles, scrambled eggs, etc. We enjoyed having quesadillas made to order. Dinner service is a-la-carte and was OK, but not great.

We walked to the Alameda in maybe 15 minutes. Nice park, but is there not one place in this city that someone doesn't have a stand to sell things? Zocolo is not too far from the Alameda. We actually also walked to Chapultapec park, which was really too far to walk to. That park was fun to stroll through.

Not sure if I would stay here again as a tourist, but doing business in the area, certainly would stay here again. When I return to Mexico City I will probably choose a hotel that is closer to Polanco or Condessa just because those areas are of more interest to me.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank clkc86
There are newer reviews for Emporio Reforma

Reviewed July 26, 2009

I spent three nights at the Emporio and was very pleased with the service, rooms and location. It is within easy walking distance to the Zocalo and Alameda along with other sites. The room was a good size and very comfortable and modern. The bathroom was particularly great - large, great bathtub/shower. As a female solo traveler, I felt safe my entire visit.

I have stayed in other hotels in Mexico City and paid far more than my nights at the Emporio. Those places, particularly the Best Western on the Zocalo, was horrible compared to the Emporio. I am looking forward to my next visit to the DF and Emporio.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Jeanpr
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at the hotel. I went to Mexico City to walk around and explore the city so the location was great.; between Zona Rosa and Centro Historico. I stayed in a standard room and while I have read people complain about the size of the rooms and i was every comfortable in it. This isnt the type of hotel you come to be pampered. So the room was the perfect size to sleep, rest and keep your things. The breakfast buffet in the hotel was very good and our housekeeper did a great job cleaning the room every day. I would defintely recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robiskeen
Reviewed May 2, 2009

FIRST IMPRESSION of the hotel is that it caters mainly to business people and families. No backpackers here. It is located on Reforma ave for a good reason though. The lobby is beautiful with a sophisticated feeling to it. The rooms were spacious enough and the beds were very comfortable. The A/C is quite and there are enough cable TV channels to enjoy the stay in the room. There is an iPod hook up, a flat screen TV and a DVD player in each room. The bathroom makes you feel you are staying at a 5 star hotel.

LOCATION: I am not sure how far the hotel is from the Zocalo area and other main attractions because my friends and I took the metro/taxi cabs to get to our destinations. I guess the only close attractions would be the Angel de Independencia and the Monumento a la Revolucion. 'Zona Rosa was a short taxi ride. The closest metro station is a 20 min walk. There are various exchange places and banks near the hotel, so that was very convenient.

SAFETY: Reforma was a very safe part of town, lots of security and lots of cops patrolling at night.

FOOD: I did not try the food in the hotel, so no comments on that.

DRAWBACKS: My only complaint with the hotel would be that during our whole 3 night stay, the Internet was down, that was a big disappointment, especially for a hotel that caters to business people. Also, I would not stay here if you plan to do lots of sightseeing in the Zocalo/Templo Mayor area, there may be better and closer options than Emporio. In my case, we went to different areas every day, so that was not an issue.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We arrived to the Emporio Reforma at midnight, after almost 24 hrs travelling (Dublin-NY-Mexico). Check-in was super-fast, our car was taken care of immediately (valet parking) and we were tucked in within 15-20 min.
Breakfast next morning (Sunday) was an absolutely wonderful experience, and a great welcome to Mexico! There was live music, local families, fast and courteous service, and amazing food! We had deliberately not booked breakfast in advance in order to check out local eateries, but suffice to say, we had breakfast in the hotel for our whole stay. Don't miss the yummy quesadillas & sopes, and tasty omelettes made to order.
The location of the Emporio is perfect - just at the crossroads with Reforma and Insurgentes - within walking distance from Chapultepec Park & Castle, the best museums, National Auditorium and Zona Rosa & Polanco areas.
The rooms were a bit on the small side... but when you are in a city as incredible as Mexico, with so many things to do and places to see, chances are you won't spend that much time in your room!
Marble bathrooms with all amenities. Good shower.
All in all, a great place to stay in Mexico city!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msstrips
Reviewed April 15, 2009

This Hotel is really good located and the service is superb 24 hours of the day; the staff is super friendly and helpful. They have a nice restaurant in the second floor, and it is a good place to eat if you are a foreigner and don’t know anything about Mexican food. If you have a free time they can arrange a tour by the surroundings. Also, enjoy the DF's nightlife, it is really good!.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We were there for 5 nights. It's a business traveller hotel, but at that price we did not mind at all! Very nice, recently refurbished, excellent service, free internet. Good breakfast buffet, but a bit pricey for our taste. You can walk to the centro historico from there (which we did since we like to walk a lot!) it will take you roughly 20-25 minutes, but you will see intresting attractions on the way!! There are not much restaurants in the area though... Staff is very helping and courteous. I would suggest tough that you check if there are any corporate events the night you are there, if it is the case, ask for a room on an upper floor. We were on 1st floor, there was a corporate event on the ground floor, the bed was shaking and the music very loud, could not sleep at all, it was past midnight... But, 5 minutes after complaining about that, the music stopped and they moved us the day after in a room on the 11th floor (the highest!!). The staff and the manager handeled the situation very well, no complaints about that.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple