“Excellent Service and location”
Review of Emporio Reforma

Emporio Reforma
Ranked #25 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed April 15, 2009

This Hotel is really good located and the service is superb 24 hours of the day; the staff is super friendly and helpful. They have a nice restaurant in the second floor, and it is a good place to eat if you are a foreigner and don’t know anything about Mexican food. If you have a free time they can arrange a tour by the surroundings. Also, enjoy the DF's nightlife, it is really good!.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 13, 2009

We were there for 5 nights. It's a business traveller hotel, but at that price we did not mind at all! Very nice, recently refurbished, excellent service, free internet. Good breakfast buffet, but a bit pricey for our taste. You can walk to the centro historico from there (which we did since we like to walk a lot!) it will take you roughly 20-25 minutes, but you will see intresting attractions on the way!! There are not much restaurants in the area though... Staff is very helping and courteous. I would suggest tough that you check if there are any corporate events the night you are there, if it is the case, ask for a room on an upper floor. We were on 1st floor, there was a corporate event on the ground floor, the bed was shaking and the music very loud, could not sleep at all, it was past midnight... But, 5 minutes after complaining about that, the music stopped and they moved us the day after in a room on the 11th floor (the highest!!). The staff and the manager handeled the situation very well, no complaints about that.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights in Mexico City and the Emporio Reforma enroute to Ixtapa, and I have to say it was a highlight of our trip. The location was wonderful as it is central or close to many sites that are worthwhile to visit. In particular the Zona Rosa was a particular delight. A short taxi ride to the Zona Rosa on a warm evening was rewarded by sights and sounds of the city at full tilt.

As we sat at an outside table sipping Bacardi Anjeo we watched life pass by in form of gay and straight couples, street vendors old and young, students, elderly, professional and poor alike, all adding colour and texture to the evening. Great restaurants, pubs, art galleries and full on life in the Zona Rosa makes it a must see during your visit. Don't miss an evening there.

We felt safe during the evening hours in the busy section of the Zona and listening to the selection of music as we walked along was incredible. Everything from head-banging rock and roll to piano bar style and my favourite, a Mariachi Restaurant that was over the top in both drink and music. I can't wait to return, this time bringing my children to the Zona Rosa and the City.

Back to the Emporio...

We had a junior suite and while it had no view to speak of, we were not there to sit by the window so it was not an issue for us. The maid service was fantastic and the room was spotless. Flat screen TV, cable, a sync for the iPods to listen to our tunes and a good bathroom, well supplied and in great condition, (mind you the shower heads were a little low for us, but not a biggie).

The staff throughout the hotel was top notch. The front desk personnel spoke good English and much of the staff did as well. If not god English, it was good enough that between their English and my pidgen Spanish we had no communication issues at all. The restaurant was very good for the two meals we ate there and the service was very, very good. While I seldom sing the praises of hotel food, the Emporio did a very good job of it.

We had a couple of tours booked through staff members, one a city tour with a great taxi driver and another tour of the pyramids and much of the city with a grandfather and his grandson in a very nice Dodge van. Both tours were oragnized by staff of the hotel and my wife is nearly brought to tears as she recounts the days spent with these find folks. For $50.00 including a $10.00 tip the taxi tours us to the Mercado Merced, a very large market in the city and then a tour of other areas ending at the Museum of Anthropology taking 3 hours was a bargain by my measure.

The tour to the Pyramid of the Sun and Moon, the Citadel, a silversmith, an archeological excavation and a tourist trap selling tequila and nick-nacs (fun none the less) and a late lunch cost $100. The entire day was 7 hours and the dupo of the grandfather and grandson gave us history lessons, language lessons ad was a real pleasure to meet and learn from. The pride of country, city and culture was very apparent in them and they both educated and entertained us to the hilt. In the end I gave them $150.00 for their efforts and again, I felt it was a bargain at that.

I have not spent much time in Mexico the last 20 years, preferring Cuba and the southern US instead to spend my vacation dollars. The last trip to Mexico was to Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and between the ripoff taxis and the constant and overwhelming badgering for timeshares we quit going to Mexico. I must now say that Mexico is back on my to-do list, at least the locations we traveled to this year. The taxis in Mexico City and Ixtapa are both controlled and seemingly regulated ensuring consistent and fair rates and for the most part well mannered drivers and clean and tidy vehicles.

Last year we were at Maui and stayed at a very expensive hotel for a week and while there we were witness to many cockroaches and assorted other critters. Now I expect that in the tropics and they don't concern me, but during the 3 days at the Emporio, we did not see any critters, which is quite a statement in my books. The cleanliness, the staff, the location and the quaint and manageable size of the hotel makes it a winner for me, and I intend to return very soon.

I hold a Hyatt or Sutton in North America to a higher standard than a 4-5 star in Mexico, but having said that the Emporio did measure up and it could give lessons to same hotels I stay in through the year while on buiness in Canada and the US. I do suggest to spring the extra 40 bucks and get a junior suite and if you can get a street from room, so much the better for you. Enjoy the Emporio and tell the staff hello for me!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2009

we spent 5 nights at emporio and we were more than happy. we had reserved a standard room, and i had red on tripadvisor that these rooms were very small. yes, they were very small. these rooms are ok for one person or for 2 persons for one night. we therefore asked if we could do an upgrade and we got a junior suite for something like 30 dollars more and it was perfect. breakfast , we have no comments, as we are no breakfast eaters, but we ate a few times at the hotel restaurant at night, as we were simply too tired to go out again. and, it was more than ok. and we are picky eaters. it is not grande cuisine, but the kitchen is willing to cook things after your taste, ie for example, shrimps with coconut on the menu, you say no, i want shrimps grilled with garlic, no problem. prices for food, drinks etc absolutely ok. very nice staff in the restaurant and not to forget our very very lovely nice friendly barkeeper, mr nunez, to whom we just could not wait to come back in the evening after a tiresome day. thank you very much emporio!!!

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank evinaSwitzerland
Reviewed March 4, 2009

This is one of a medium sized Mexican chain of "botique" hotels, smaller in size than the majors but of a similar level of service. Based on other reviews in Tripadvisor I went for a standard and not small single, which turned out to be a small but reasonable sized room. The hotel is located near, but not at, many attractions. I walked (20-30 minutes) to the major park where the world class anthropology museum museum is; to the Polano district to eat; and to the Zocalo (city center plaza). The hotel is in the Zona Rosa which is no longer the premier neighborhood but is still full of interesting places to eat, drink, and find entertainment. Front desk was very helpful; they offered a cable for internet before I had to ask, offered directions and other help knowledgeable, and provided a speedy check in-out. I got a rock-bottom "special" rate via Orbitz. Given what I paid, the value was amazing.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2009

If you like boutique hotels, this is a really good one.
Great location , close to both Zocalo and Zona Rosa.
Very good price.
Finally if you have any doubts about Mexico City, just go. This city is absolutely amazing. There is a gem in every corner. Incredible food. Great people. So funny to find so much so close after traveling to far off places.
Negatives: beds are really small (but comfortable) ; rooms are really small; staff look a bit sullen.
Positives: free internet; modern decor; nice bathroom

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aturkinnola
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Based on the reviews on this site, I booked this hotel for 8 nights of the entire 3rd week of Jan 2009. I’d say that all those reviews, good or bad, are true. Here are my own two cents:

Hotel décor: very chic with touch of contemporary elegance – worthy of 5 solid gold stars.

Rooms: very up-to-date marble bathroom with Jacuzzi tube, extremely comfy bed, high-quality linen, spotlessly clean, and very quiet. However, the room is extremely small (we had standard room), I’d NOT recommend it for people who are clusterphobic. The so-called double bed is the smallest double bed I have ever seen. The hotel labels rooms as “European”, but they are NOT at all as their “European” double bed is smaller than ANY European double beds I slept on in many European hotels in Europe! The bed is just slightly bigger than a single bed. So please keep this in mind. Final note about the room, the hotel claims to be 5* but they don’t even provide robes or slippers in room. My overall rating: 4-*.

Restaurant: very clean and staffs are efficient. We had breakfast every morning in the hotel – the buffet is 112 peso per person. The variety is excellent: from Mexican style breakfast to continental to American pancakes and eggs made to order. We had only one dinner in the hotel (all other dinners were in different restaurants in the city): excellent food with almost 400 peso for two without drinks and deserts. My overall rating: 4*.

Staff: People at the front desk are great (thanks again, Ruben!). However, for a self-labeled 5* hotel, most of times there is no doorman at all. When there is doorman, NONE of them has ever opened the door to any guests, don’t even wish they’d help you with your luggage! The bellhops seem to live to sell guests with the “Hotel Taxi”. They “recommended” us to take the hotel taxi to the North Bus Terminal for 150 peso. When we returned from the North Bus Terminal back to the hotel, we took the city’s Authorized Taxi for only 70 peso flat rate. We learned our lesson from this and asked the front desk for the right type of taxi (the red-and-gold color type) to take if we are in the street and want to take the city taxi. My overall rating: 3+*

Location: the hotel is at a very safe area as we walked around at nights and never felt or saw anything “strange”. The hotel is also right in the middle of the Reforma Ave. 15-minute walk west from the hotel, you are in Zona Rosa which is the trendy area of MC full of international restaurants and the “alternative” crowds. While 25-minute walk east from the hotel, you will be in Zocola which is the city center that is very active and busy with lots of shops and mostly Mexican restaurants. My overall rating: 4+*

Shopping: there is a crafts store few doors down from the hotel that seems never open when we were there. Next door, there is man’s clothing shop. There are a few convenience stores within less than 5-minute walk where you can stock up on water and snacks. However, if you’d like to walk west for about 10 minutes, there is one huge shopping mall with shops and restaurants. For me this is perfect setup. Otherwise the area would be too busy and noisy. My overall rating: 4+*

Last notes on things nearby: There is a restaurant called Belmont behind the hotel. If you exit the hotel from the back, look over to your left at the street corner, you will see this restaurant. It serves awesome Mexican cuisine – the best Mexican steak we had. The best part is if you ask for salsa, it was made to taste at your table by hand grinded down in a lava stone with a large of variety of roasted chili, garlic, tomato, and rock sea salt. The price: only 40 peso! The steak is about 190 peso per plate.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)