Hotel Royal Reforma
$129
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
W Mexico City(Mexico City)
$285
$263
  • Room Service
$86
$74
$71
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Stanza(Mexico City)(Great Value!)
$67
All reviewssmall poolrooftop barthe zona rosa areathree night staygreat optionbars and restaurantsfirst trip to mexicoexcellent locationreformametroavenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I have stayed in lots of moderately priced hotels in big cities and the number one thing we look for is... location! This hotel is a great base camp if you plan on spending most of your time exploring the city. It's a 2 minute walk to the metro stop "Insurgentes" on the pink line and almost anything you might want to do in the city can be accessed via the metro. However, Mexico City is HUGE so things seem closer than they really are.

There are mediocre restaurants in the hotel, but with several Sanborns and Vips neaby, there's really no reason to eat in the hotel even if you're not adventurous enough to look for other more authentic places to eat. It's a short walk to the Independence Angel and strolling along the Paseo de la Reforma is a nice way to digest dinner. There's a good indoor market nearby that opens at 10 am for picking up souvenirs and other crafts. And just as an FYI, you are right down the street from a bunch of gay bars, so the area is very lively at night and there's lots of PDA around. If you are a homophobe unfamiliar with metropolitan areas or are travelling with young children who are kept sheltered, this might be a problem for you.

As for the hotel itself- it is a large hotel and there isn't a whole lot of personal service. The area overall is a little noisy, after all, you are downtown in a big city with a lot of police presence. There is adequate space in the room and bathroom - in fact, by European standards, the place is huge! The views are nice - better from the upper floors, of course. The room decor is hideous and the pool is tiny - but if you're rarely in your room or swim, who cares? Probably my only complaint is the the beds are the hardest I've slept on in my life and the pillows are like sacks of old heavy clothes. If we choose not to stay there again, that will be the only reason why. (Oh, and my daughter Shelby just reminded me that the toilet got clogged and there wasn't enough shampoo.)

Taxis are not nearly as cost-prohibitive as in other cites so even if you don't choose to take the metro (it does get ridiculously crowded), it's still a great base camp. We travelled with a 4, 7, and an 11 year old and you can ride in a special section on the metro with kids. Definitely visit the Zocalo, Chapultepec Park (especially the palace and museum of Anthropology), the Basilica of Guadalupe and Xochimilco. And take a day trip to the pyramids. Off the beaten path is the Leon Trotsky house that he lived and was murdered in after his exile from Russia and the Freida Kahlo and Diego Rivera home - very educational and worthwhile. But even 6 days was not enough to see enough of this amazing city - we'll be back.

All in all, this hotel was a good value and we had a great time in Mexico City. But if you're a traveller who needs more plush accomodations and hangs out in your hotel, you might want to spend a little more.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank monkeyherder
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I just returned with my family and another family - friends of ours who stayed in the room next door. We all woke up yesterday morning and were covered in mosquito bites! My family was not affected as much as our friends were - one of their sons had 45 bites on his head and face alone! The rest of the family had literally dozens of bites all over their bodies and were unable to sleep all night. When they went to the front desk to show them their condition and to request a different room, the desk clerk simply told them that all the rooms have a mosquito problem and she would send someone to take care of it. After a housekeeper showed up and sprayed bug spray in the room, they thought the problem was resolved. After another night of being eaten by the mosquitos, we all checked out this morning. When my friend asked for some sort of discount due to their lack of sleep both nights and the welts all over their bodies, the clerk (the same lady as the night before) just said "No". There was not even an apology to these toddlers who had to suffer with all these bug bites. Immediately when I got home I called Best Western's 800 Customer Service number and spoke to an equally rude service agent who basically told me that there was nothing she could do either. I have a trip scheduled for later this week at a different Best Western, but I am going to cancel because chains that do not care about what happens to their customers do not deserve my business.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Our room was clean and spacious. We had an awesome view of the city. The beds were okay. Their reception staff was friendly. My only complain was the restaurant service. In our attempt to eat dinner, we went down to the restaurant and found that a large group of people had just left so the restaurant was very dirty, their floor was dirty, their tables were all dirty with left over food on plates still sitting on there. They did not have a host at the entrance so we had to wait a while before someone actually noticed we were there. They also took long to bring our food. I think they were short staff so it was chaotic. We noticed the manager seemed pretty frustrated.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I was traveling with a tour group so I really didn't have a choice in picking this hotel, but I really liked it. My room was on the 15th floor and I had a fabulous view. The room was very spacious, very clean, and very modern. My stay was for 4 nights. I ate breakfast there every day and the breakfast buffet was very good. I also ate dinner in the restaurant 3 of the 4 nights and it was also very good. The rooftop bar is very nice and the bartender made an excellent margarita. There is 24 hour complimentary coffee in the rooftop bar. The front desk and restaurant personnel were all very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Our travel agent booked this hotel for us so we didn't know what to expect. This is a standard 3-4 star hotel, and I mean standard. We had a standard room, which we found clean and comfortable. There was a fridge, mini bar, safe in the room.

The location of this hotel is great. It is in the centre of zona rosa with lots of eating places nearby. We used the subway to get around in the daytime, and the nearest stop is 2 mins walk from the hotel.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as it was expensive, there are plenty of places nearby for breakfast/lunch and dinner.

If you are just after a comfortable, clean, safe place to stay in Mexico City this is the place.

Be aware of the travel agency based in this hotel. We were charged twice for a tour on our credit card (and this is yet to be resolved).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple