All reviews boutique hotel roma neighborhood large bathroom chapultepec park roma norte lovely neighborhood no elevator huge city living room included breakfast historic building late at night light sleeper the air conditioning first floor location is great comfortable beds
Reviewed January 28, 2011

My fiancée and I have been looking at many hotels across Zona Rosa/Condesa/Roma to find a place to host my family when they arrive for our wedding. At La Casona, we had a much more unpleasant experience than anywhere else. I don't if it was the way we looked or something but the man at the desk didn't seem too interested in talking to us and giving us information. When we asked about room prices, he said that it would be "maybe 3000, maybe 4000." When we asked if there were rooms with two beds, he never really said yes or no. When we asked to see a room, he just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that none were available. Certainly we understand if he can't show us anything because they're all occupied but elsewhere the staff would apologize, describe the rooms to us, show us brochures. Here, they just really didn't seem interested in having our business. BTW, my fiancée is Mexican and all the interaction was done in Spanish.

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank visitingnow
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We had booked a room at Hotel Maria Cristina near the Zona Rosa and really did not like the room, the restaurant, or the neighborhood. We moved to La Casona and for a little more money had a very charming hotel with great service, good food (free breakfast buffet), and a great neighborhood.
The staff at this hotel was really superb.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I challenge you to look at the other "boutique" hotels in the area and see their reviews in comparison. If you plan to take the Metro at all and value service and safety, then I believe you can do little better than this hotel at this price point. Love the proximity to restaurants in the Condesa-Roma area, love the proximity to the Sevilla stop on the Linea 1 of the Metro, love having a doorman, love the friendly service. True, dated rooms compared to the US and other competing hotels in the area, true the noise is more than I would prefer, but really if the three items in my title are your priority, then you will be happy with your choice.

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jhurbina
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I paid 125 $ plus taxes a night. I was disappointed by this place and left after 2 nights. Here is why.

The location: The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood. There are some restaurants or shops here and there, but – this is of course a matter of taste – I prefer a more animated environment, like the Zona Rosa where I moved later. At least, in a residential neighborhood, I would expect complete calm and quietness, which is not the case here – read below.

The staff: Businesslike, frosty, and merely polite. Do they think they have to give themselves an attitude because they work in a posh boutique hotel? Arriving at 9 p.m., after a 18 hour trip, a smile and a warm welcome would have been most appreciated. Nothing of the kind happened. Nor was the TV set mended the following day despite my request. Breakfast was included, but they presented me with a paper to sign and expected a tip. By the way, the breakfast buffet is rather on the small side.

The noise: In my reservation e-mail I insisted on a quiet room. They gave me a street room (Durango). Not that much traffic, but enough to bother me. At 4.30 a.m. you will have the garbage collectors, and they do make noise. Furthermore, the first morning at 7 a.m. when I was trying to sleep out my jet lag, the bell boy called me by mistake. Not my idea of a peaceful night.

It is true that the place is charming and tastefully decorated, although I didn’t find a spot in my room where to put my laptop computer because the furniture, charming but antique, isn’t adapted. (There was no secure WLAN connection either.) So the place isn’t entirely bad, but it really didn’t fit my needs, and several things need to be seriously improved.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank garmic57
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Stayed here for a family reunion, so we had about 10 rooms. Everyone seemed very satisfied. The service, from check-in to check-out, was really friendly and efficient. The hotel rooms, both private and public, are just charming, part of what was once a private mansion. Each room is slightly different. Mine had a huge bathroom, beautifully tiled with colorful Mexican tiles. The air conditioning worked, although if you need the room to be below 75, you might be uncomfortable. Most important - free wifi worked ALL the time! Flat screen TV (cable service was spotty) and nice amenities, including robe and slippers. Comfortable bed. Ask for a room in the back, as mine was facing the street and the noise was disturbing at times, despite the original wooden floor-to-ceiling shutters - another charming element. Pharmacy, convenience store and restaurants are all within walking distance. We ate at an Argentine restaurant directly across the street, which we all really enjoyed. El Palacio de Hierro, an upscale department store with a gourmet food department (we bought Mexican chocolates and 2 cakes to bring to someone's home), is a block away.
Neighborhood is Condesa, which is one of the better areas of the city. I never felt unsafe, by the way, although I only walked across the street on my own since I was with a group. At the recommendation of our cousin in DF, we booked our taxi at the airport through Taxi 360 (booth at the end of the airport). You pay at the booth. The hotel called a private car service to return to the airport. Definitely ask your hotel to call a taxi for you.

Date of stay: March 2010