All reviews boutique hotel large bathroom lovely neighborhood no elevator huge city chapultepec park living room first floor hot water mexico doorman taxis
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I challenge you to look at the other "boutique" hotels in the area and see their reviews in comparison. If you plan to take the Metro at all and value service and safety, then I believe you can do little better than this hotel at this price point. Love the proximity to restaurants in the Condesa-Roma area, love the proximity to the Sevilla stop on the Linea 1 of the Metro, love having a doorman, love the friendly service. True, dated rooms compared to the US and other competing hotels in the area, true the noise is more than I would prefer, but really if the three items in my title are your priority, then you will be happy with your choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jhurbina
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I paid 125 $ plus taxes a night. I was disappointed by this place and left after 2 nights. Here is why.

The location: The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood. There are some restaurants or shops here and there, but – this is of course a matter of taste – I prefer a more animated environment, like the Zona Rosa where I moved later. At least, in a residential neighborhood, I would expect complete calm and quietness, which is not the case here – read below.

The staff: Businesslike, frosty, and merely polite. Do they think they have to give themselves an attitude because they work in a posh boutique hotel? Arriving at 9 p.m., after a 18 hour trip, a smile and a warm welcome would have been most appreciated. Nothing of the kind happened. Nor was the TV set mended the following day despite my request. Breakfast was included, but they presented me with a paper to sign and expected a tip. By the way, the breakfast buffet is rather on the small side.

The noise: In my reservation e-mail I insisted on a quiet room. They gave me a street room (Durango). Not that much traffic, but enough to bother me. At 4.30 a.m. you will have the garbage collectors, and they do make noise. Furthermore, the first morning at 7 a.m. when I was trying to sleep out my jet lag, the bell boy called me by mistake. Not my idea of a peaceful night.

It is true that the place is charming and tastefully decorated, although I didn’t find a spot in my room where to put my laptop computer because the furniture, charming but antique, isn’t adapted. (There was no secure WLAN connection either.) So the place isn’t entirely bad, but it really didn’t fit my needs, and several things need to be seriously improved.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank garmic57
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Stayed here for a family reunion, so we had about 10 rooms. Everyone seemed very satisfied. The service, from check-in to check-out, was really friendly and efficient. The hotel rooms, both private and public, are just charming, part of what was once a private mansion. Each room is slightly different. Mine had a huge bathroom, beautifully tiled with colorful Mexican tiles. The air conditioning worked, although if you need the room to be below 75, you might be uncomfortable. Most important - free wifi worked ALL the time! Flat screen TV (cable service was spotty) and nice amenities, including robe and slippers. Comfortable bed. Ask for a room in the back, as mine was facing the street and the noise was disturbing at times, despite the original wooden floor-to-ceiling shutters - another charming element. Pharmacy, convenience store and restaurants are all within walking distance. We ate at an Argentine restaurant directly across the street, which we all really enjoyed. El Palacio de Hierro, an upscale department store with a gourmet food department (we bought Mexican chocolates and 2 cakes to bring to someone's home), is a block away.
Neighborhood is Condesa, which is one of the better areas of the city. I never felt unsafe, by the way, although I only walked across the street on my own since I was with a group. At the recommendation of our cousin in DF, we booked our taxi at the airport through Taxi 360 (booth at the end of the airport). You pay at the booth. The hotel called a private car service to return to the airport. Definitely ask your hotel to call a taxi for you.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The moment I got there, someone smiled straight away and started talking to me, the reservation was found quickly and they took me to my room which was a gorgeous old school unique room, i had never seen a room like that. I went to the bar for a drink had an amazing scotch and then i decided why not to go out and walk around. The guy behind the reception saw me going out and decided to give me a map show me the interesting spots of where to go to and told me where not to. I had an amazing time and will definitely come back to this little charming mexican hotel

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at La Casona five times over the past six years and each time has been very good. The rooms and bathrooms are large and in good condition. The breakfast is lovely (some might complain because it is lighter, more healthful options like a whole grain cerial mix and fruit, you have to pay for eggs and such, but for me, that's much better than a heavy American breakfast, so I was thrilled). Only complaints are that they offer free internet, but it isn't very reliable, so maybe almost better not to offer it, and the room was a but stuffy. I recommend a room that doesn't face the street - it isn't noisy, but the lights from the street mean it's too bright to open the curtains at night. But it's a good choice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple