“Superb”
Review of Hotel La Casona

Hotel La Casona
Ranked #111 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel has a unique decor and wonderful room layout. Very boutique and certainly well maintained.

The staff were top notch and accommodated our lack of Spanish. They made an effort to help arrange transport and tickets to shows.

Location is in good proximity to Chapultepec, a thriving dining scene and the metro.

Overall excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Abduljaba

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at La Casona recently, and this was the 4th time we had stayed there. We like is so much because 1) the personnel are so helpful and courteous (they don't speak a whole lot of Eng., but it works, because they care), 2) the driver they provided us was first-rate, knew the city backwards and forwards (which is not easy), 3) the breakfast is included and delicious, 4) our room was excellent, -- very clean, w/good king-sized bed, lots of hot water, clean & spacious bathroom, a/c and heat, which worked perfectly w/no noise, and QUIET. (Ask for a room that does not open onto the street.) Their location in Roma Norte is 3 blocks from the Sevilla metro station, also walking distance to Chapultepec Park. We highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Of the 4 rooms we have tried, Room #9 this time was the quietest; #10 and #11 in the same section wo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joan1008
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here at the beginning and end of a vacation for easy access to airport. It is a lovely, charming, hotel with beautifully decorated rooms and roomy baths. After being stuck in the pouring rain, i was grateful for a soak in my deep tub. The staff were so friendly and helpful. There is an excellent coffee shop next door and I highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

La Casona is a beautifully furnitured colonial hotel. Friendly and helpfull and it has a nice sitting room with art books. Around the corner and in its vicinity lots of bars, restaurants and street food can be found. Probably due to the historic building, the rooms are noisy, in mine the pipes rattled during the night and especially in the morning, a boiler started up at 6 and in the evening the guests of the restaurant could easily be overheard. Not a place to be recommended if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 4Dww
Reviewed August 6, 2013

La Casona is a beautiful old hotel with lovely artwork, in a great part of the city, and a terrific breakfast each day. However, if you are bothered by secondhand smoke, stay elsewhere. It permeates the room and everything in it. Sounds also carry here, including early morning maintenance and late night guest conversations. Hard to sleep well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ml l
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Las Casona for one night in May 2013. It is a great hotel, we really liked the old building it was in and the staff were friendly and helpful. The area near the hotel is very nice, you can easily walk to some great restaurants and the central area of Mexico City is a short cab ride away. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor, we had one there and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne03062011
Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you're a business traveler that likes to support local hotels, I highly recommend skipping this one. Other travelers have said this place is unprofessional and old; they are correct. After moving to another accommodation in the neighborhood, I learned that the new accommodation's owner does not recommend La Casona (if they do not have rooms available) because La Casona is known for its unprofessionalism and bad attitude. There were far too many things that made my stay at this hotel unpleasant. First, they charged $40 (U.S.) to get from the airport to this hotel. You can get a taxi from the airport for less than 1/2 that price, I learned later. Second, they didn't honor the king size bed that had been reserved. I got a small room next to the street. Boy was it noisy (honking horns, sirens, banging on doors, party-ers). There was no outlet where I could plug in my laptop and when I removed the plug to the TV, the extension gave out a sizzling spark. And there was no safe in the room to lock up my valuables (passport, small laptop, etc.) It gets better from there. The kitchen stopped serving before 10pm when they were supposed to continue to serve soups and salads. i was first told no, the kitchen was closed, even though I had eaten there about 9:30 the night before. Then the front office staff went back to them and said they were supposed to serve me. The kitchen staff replied that it was room service only and there were no chairs for me to use (a dining room full of chairs) The front desk said that he was going to report this to the manager. Then when they could finally move me to another room after four days, they asked me to pack my luggage in the morning. I did. Upon arrival after 11pm, my bags had not been moved AND the front desk said that she couldn't put me in another room because they hadn't told her which room. Insisting upon this yet again unprofessional service, she moved me to another room that was in the interior of the hotel next to an open middle small courtyard. Being a non-smoker, I was dismayed when the room below me allows smoking so I had cigarette smoke coming in through my windows. I heard a guy jacking off and a kid having a tantrum. When I checked out, they tried to charge me 20 pesos for M&Ms that I supposedly got from the snacks in the room. Not. And they added an additional amount to the taxi amount.

I was in Mexico City for business. I work for a well respected high tech company in Silicon Valley. When I had a bit of time, I sought out another beautiful, modern, peaceful and professionally run hotel for the same price of $135 a night about three blocks away. I've traveled all around the world and like to stay in local hotels/accommodations to support local merchants. This one I cannot recommend. Perhaps by losing a bit of business they'll tighten up their service so that visitors can actually enjoy their stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms next the street require earplugs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business