“Lovely Stay in Mexico City”
Review of Hotel La Casona

Hotel La Casona
Ranked #121 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay in Mexico City”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Las Casona for one night in May 2013. It is a great hotel, we really liked the old building it was in and the staff were friendly and helpful. The area near the hotel is very nice, you can easily walk to some great restaurants and the central area of Mexico City is a short cab ride away. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor, we had one there and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne03062011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you're a business traveler that likes to support local hotels, I highly recommend skipping this one. Other travelers have said this place is unprofessional and old; they are correct. After moving to another accommodation in the neighborhood, I learned that the new accommodation's owner does not recommend La Casona (if they do not have rooms available) because La Casona is known for its unprofessionalism and bad attitude. There were far too many things that made my stay at this hotel unpleasant. First, they charged $40 (U.S.) to get from the airport to this hotel. You can get a taxi from the airport for less than 1/2 that price, I learned later. Second, they didn't honor the king size bed that had been reserved. I got a small room next to the street. Boy was it noisy (honking horns, sirens, banging on doors, party-ers). There was no outlet where I could plug in my laptop and when I removed the plug to the TV, the extension gave out a sizzling spark. And there was no safe in the room to lock up my valuables (passport, small laptop, etc.) It gets better from there. The kitchen stopped serving before 10pm when they were supposed to continue to serve soups and salads. i was first told no, the kitchen was closed, even though I had eaten there about 9:30 the night before. Then the front office staff went back to them and said they were supposed to serve me. The kitchen staff replied that it was room service only and there were no chairs for me to use (a dining room full of chairs) The front desk said that he was going to report this to the manager. Then when they could finally move me to another room after four days, they asked me to pack my luggage in the morning. I did. Upon arrival after 11pm, my bags had not been moved AND the front desk said that she couldn't put me in another room because they hadn't told her which room. Insisting upon this yet again unprofessional service, she moved me to another room that was in the interior of the hotel next to an open middle small courtyard. Being a non-smoker, I was dismayed when the room below me allows smoking so I had cigarette smoke coming in through my windows. I heard a guy jacking off and a kid having a tantrum. When I checked out, they tried to charge me 20 pesos for M&Ms that I supposedly got from the snacks in the room. Not. And they added an additional amount to the taxi amount.

I was in Mexico City for business. I work for a well respected high tech company in Silicon Valley. When I had a bit of time, I sought out another beautiful, modern, peaceful and professionally run hotel for the same price of $135 a night about three blocks away. I've traveled all around the world and like to stay in local hotels/accommodations to support local merchants. This one I cannot recommend. Perhaps by losing a bit of business they'll tighten up their service so that visitors can actually enjoy their stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms next the street require earplugs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank A G
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I really liked this hotel. A world away from corporate nonsense card key hotels, with a nice courtyard bar with nice simple food and friendly staff. Internet in rooms, which was free. Excellent breakfast. Great location. Interesting decor, with just the right amount of attention to detail.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you want to see the best of modern, upscale Mexico City, you could hardly have a better location - smack dab in Roma Norte and fairly close to Condesa and Polanco (all interesting, trendy, safe neighborhoods, with excellent bars and restaurants). Also convenient for getting around town, as you are close to the major avenues like Insurgentes, Reforma, etc.

Service was excellent (the front desk spoke English), decent breakfast buffet, free internet, in-house water filter - all a plus! The individually decorated rooms definitely fit the "boutique hotel" aesthetic - not luxury, but a worthwhile step above bland chain hotels. The vibe is definitely comfy. Also, they let me choose between two different rooms, which was nice. All-in-all, no complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank clumsy_plumsy
Cambridge
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We arrived 4 hours late due to our plane being delayed so by the time we got to the hotel it was 10pm. There was no room service available nor were we offered anything to eat or drink. The mini bar was empty and my husband had to go across the road to the store and buy some beer! We had foam pillows, some of which which we eventually got changed. The room was dark, even with the lights on and there was no view except from the bathroom which opened on to the street. The reception staff were especially unhelpful and the breakfast we did have mas mediocre at best. In a country where fruit and coffee are good and plentiful we had tinned fruit salad on offer and the coffee was weak and tasteless. On our second morning we were informed that the restaurant didn't open til 8 on a Sunday so we could go across the road and pay for a breakfast at a fast food place |(which they didn't know was open anyway). The one redeeming feature was the furniture in the hotel which is exquisite , vintage and beautiful but it doesn't make up for the horrendous start to our trip. I disagree with people who say that the hotel is in a good area...on our return to Mexico City we refused to stay there and the neighbourhood we stayed in was so much better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ssw57
MD, USA
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The hotel over all is fine, but there were somethings that really irked me. Before the ugly, the good. The hotel is in a very good neighborhood. I felt safe and there were plenty of places to walk to. The room was also spacious. The bad: The hotel is old, and you can hear everything. In the middle of the night, I would be woken up by people walking around and some type of banging. Also, the electronics in the room are old and difficult to use. For example, the buttons are the TV remote are worn, and it is difficult to change the channel. Another example, my hair dryer stopped working. I called down for a spare. The front clerk sent a gentleman up who could only tell me that the hair dryer was hot. We called the front desk clerk who told me that the hair dryer was broken and they didn't have another one. I can tell the hair dryer was old, and think that something like hair dryers 1. should be replaced often and 2. hotels should have back-up incase they fail.

One more thing, the pillows are hard memory foam pillows. Not easy to sleep on.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank colleengrant
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just came back from spending a long weekend at the La Casona. I was meeting a close friend for the weekend and wanted something intamate and cozy. The La Casona fit the bill. I booked the room based on the reviews here, the location, and the priice I found on the web.

To be honest when I first got to the hotel I was not all that impressed. I think it was the difference between the pictures on the site and reality. It also could have been the 1+ hour drive from the airport in crazy friday rush traffic. Hoever my opinion of the hotel changed rapidly.

Our room was quite comfortable with a king size bed and large bath with shower/bath. Things were clean and well maintained. The only problem in our room was that the curtain didn't work great but it was very servicable.

What was very special was the attention that we recieved from the staff - including to my surprise - the owners of the hotel. Our out of room hangouts became the front salon and the patio behind the restaurant. It was on the back patio that we met the owners while they were entertaining guests/family. They were warm and cordial and asked about our visit. One night when we came back and wanted coffee and the bar had already closed, the owner sent one of the staff out to get us coffee and never even charged us for it.

The only negative to our experience in the hotel was that it took a while for us to get the room cleaned during the day. It was after 4 each day. I think they were short staffed for the weekend or maybe they are just trying to economize a bit. We let the front desk know about the issue and the front desk manager sent us a bottle to apologize for the delay which was a nice touch.

As has been said, the location is great - good restaurantes, shopping, and entertainment are all close by. I wish it was a bit closer to a metro stop, but you can't have it all.

Room Tip: If I return, I would like to be on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple