“It truly was "Grand "”

Ranked #2 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Barrington, Illinois
“It truly was "Grand "”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was born in Mexico City and had not been back in over 30 years. When I was doing my research, I was looking for a " mid-grade" hotel. There are obvious differences in that category from the US to Mexico.
Great value for the cost to stay in such a majestic piece of real estate, not to mention our very roomy room. "Grand" flowed everywhere. It was clear to me I was in a Gran Hotel.

I received an email from Gran Hotel guest services advising me of an event being held the Saturday of our stay. I considered canceling my reservation because I was already worried about crime etc. I couldn't imagine being there in a place I had not visited in over 30 years and with a reputation of having high crime.
We experienced the concert (Marc Anthony gave a live I beleive free concert paid by the mexican government)and all the crowds and never felt unsafe with all the police patrolling the streets. What a charm, right smack in the middle of historic Mexico City. What pride watching the flag wave.
Well, not only was I pleasantly surprised and rather impressed with the "majestic" true "Grand" hotel. The history, the architecture, was beyond my expectations. Your virtual tours and all the pictures on your site do not get close to the beauty of personally experiencing the grandiose of the hotel. What a beauty ! Highly impressed to say the least.
Your guest services team was very helpful and highly professional. I was very impressed by the special gesture of walking us to our room using the gorgeous antique elevator. What an experience simply taking an elevator.

The terrace restaurant gave us extraordinary views of the Zocalo.

Dafne Ramirez the online concierge sent us numerous emails offering various services to include tours. You can tell he is passionate about his job which we really appreciated.

I was very happy that I did not cancel my stay. I hope this answers your question as to "grade" your stay. Your choices did not fit. It was far from excellent.

Oscar

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Oscar Z
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for you kind words. We feel really pleased to know that you liked the hotel and that you had a nice experience at the city. It is also nice to know that the assistance of the concierge on line was useful and that you found the service given by all our colleagues professional and helpful.

Be sure we will keep on attending you with the kind service you describe you enjoyed. Our principal concern always is our guests´ satisfaction and we constantly are working on the best ways to achieve it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed twice at this hotel during a recent trip to Mexico City in January/Feb. 2013, and found the location great! Right at the Zocalo, very convenient to all sites in the historic center. Our double room with 2 queens was on the 2nd floor (3rd floor to Americans) on the side opposite the plaza, so it was very quiet, but no view. Large room, big bath, the usual hotel amenities, including safe dep. box. The hotel seemed pretty empty so that felt a bit odd, we asked and were told their busy time is Sept. through New Years, and then in the summer months.

We got a fabulous rate through AARP/Expedia, about $110. at night, with fees and taxes. Can't beat that for the location and quality.......

Our only problem was with the taxi service the hotel used to take us to the airport the first time. The desk told us it would be 165 pesos for two, which is the same rate we paid coming in from the airport, so we were fine with that. However, when we got to the airport the driver wanted 365 pesos for the trip, saying we were in a large van and that was the usual price. We were anxious to get to the ticket counter as the computer had told us there was a problem with our tickets when we tried to get our boarding passes, so after briefly arguing with the driver, we ended up paying the extra amount, knowing we were coming back to the same hotel at the end of our trip.

When we returned to the hotel 2 weeks later, we told them of this problem and they were very responsive. They collected as much info. as we had (a description of the van and driver, and partial license plate numbers, date and time of the hotel pickup) and told us the company was dealing with the driver involved. Our return trip to the airport on our departure was comped, not sure if by the hotel or the taxi service, but we were satisfied.

Funny thing is, my friend and I are very experienced travelers, and yet we neglected to verify the taxi fee with the driver upon leaving for the airport, something we normally would do, and just trusted what the desk had told us. Shame on us. We wondered how many other departing guests had been suckered by this particular driver, not having the recourse we had of returning to the hotel and complaining........a lesson learned. We certainly credit the hotel staff and the taxi service owner for dealing with this situation.......

Room Tip: If you want quiet, request a room on the side away from the plaza.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank calgal3840
We dearly appreciate your feedback, which offers us the chance to keep improving our services. We feel very sorry to know that you had this problem with the taxi company. Nevertheless as you were able to witness, we immediately gathered more information and were able to solve this issue, so our future guests would not become affected by this anymore.
We hope to have the opportunity to receive you again. We are sure that, with this solved, we will be able to offer you a spotless experience.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of the city, there is no better place to be.
On the other side it is not the newest one, but for me it was stil good. It was even not noisy, and the staff is friendly. so enjoy your stay here

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank joaquin d
Thank you for taking the time to comment about us. We are happy to know that you liked our location and enjoyed your stay. About our building we would like to mention you that this is an historic construction that was inaugurated by the president Porfirio Diaz back in 1899, when it hosted the “Centro Mercantil”. Perhaps for your next stay you could consider giving us the opportunity to share our history. Our Concierge has a lovely way of telling it and we would definitely like to share it with you.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here during our first trip to Mexico City based on its central location. The rooms are big (we stayed in master suite). Despite booking an internal view room, we were in a room facing the Zocalo. Initially I was concerned about the noise and asked to be moved to an internal room but none were available that night. We agreed to try the room for a night and then move the next day. We didn't need to move as the noise quietened right down at night and didn't wake us any morning. We then got to see the flag raising & lowering ceremony each day. The rooms are old and a bit tired but comfortable. The front desk staff were helpful and breakfast (which was included in our room rate) was fine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaterinaDue
We are very happy to know that you have tried our Master Suite and that despite your worries about the noise you enjoyed your stay. We are also happy to know that you liked your breakfast. Maybe next time you would like to attend to our Rooftop Terrace restaurant to try our popular Brunch service. We dearly hope to receive you again some time; we will always appreciate the opportunity to attend you.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Via the hotel's website, I reserved my hotel room six months early, with two standard beds. I was able to get a very good price, over 50% off! Upon my arrival, I had been upgraded to a King Suite! Imagine my delight! I still needed a second bed and they converted the sofa into a sofa bed in the entry room. We had a wonderful view of the Zocalo and were able to witness the raising of the Mexican flag in the morning. It was quite a treat! I was able to see the cathedral from my window. I was in room 303. The bathroom is elegant and clean with nice, fluffy towels. There was a coffee maker with coffer/tea to make. The hotel is conveniently located to visit the cathedral and to easily travel in the metro, taxi or public buses. They have a parking lot and easy access to the elevator. The hotel is beautiful! You will enjoy the architecture and yet modern facilities.
Dafne Ramírez - the Concierge Online is quick to answer any questions you might have about your online reservations and services. I plan on going back to Mexico City with my mother, and will surely stay at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MARYBELLPC
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to comment us. We feel very happy to know that you enjoyed the view you were able to appreciate form your room. Maybe next time you can visit our Roof top Terrace restaurant, where you can enjoy our brunch on weekends and also has most privileged view as scenery.
We also feel really proud to know that you found the service of concierge on line useful and that you received quick answers to all your questions. Be sure that all of our colleagues will always be glad to contribute to make a success out of your lodging experience with us.
Victoria, BC
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The location is fantastic and the hotel is beautiful. The rooms are luxurious and in keeping with the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and very quiet. It was the best bed I have had in Mexico. The staff are very accommodating and will get tickets for shows or tours. There are many good restaurants in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Irma_Mabarak, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We feel happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a good rest, as you kindly mention our Concierge and partners at the Front desk will always be glad to assist you in getting particular tickets or recommend you restaurants and tours around.
We dearly hope to receive you again sometime since we will always appreciate the opportunity to receive you.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

we stayed recently. Very central with many sites an easy walk away. We stayed here as I had seen a picture of the entrance hall. It is fabulous along with the art deco lift the bell boy took us up in. Staff were friendly. Our room was enormous and at the back of building , so no view but very quiet. We felt perfectly safe wandering around the area. Loved watching the 8am raising of national flag in the square and the 6pm lowering.

Room Tip: back room was quiet but I imagine the front will have plenty to see.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to read such nice comments about our building and staff. As you mention we have some rooms that are very quiet so our guests can rest peacefully but we also have some rooms with a lovely Zocalo view and to the 16 de Septiembre street for those who are fond of the liveliness of this area.
Maybe the next time you will try this rooms, we will feel very proud to receive you again!