“Great Hotel, Great Service, Smokey Entrance”

InterContinental Presidente Mexico City
Ranked #20 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I just stayed in the Intercontinental for one week and truly enjoyed my stay. I was on the executive level and staff in the Executive lounge was fantastic. They helped me check out and book a taxi to the airport which they charged to my room. Raul in the lounge knew that I liked hot chocolate so by the end of the week he just confirmed my request and it was brought out promptly.

The only drawback is the congregation of smokers at the entrance. The hotel has a No Smoking sign at the entrance but its not enforced. So if you don't mind walking through the smokers each time you enter and exit the hotel, your stay will be flawless.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Guillermo447, Gerente at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your preference and for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our Club Lounge and most of all the service provided by our staff specially from Raul, rest assure we will congratulate him for the great service provided. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to provide you with the same excellent service we did last time.

Guillermo Valencia V.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I remember clearly my first Afternoon Tea at the Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong in 1987.
Since that day I have been trying to replicate the experience without much success.

During our first day in Mexico City we took a short taxi ride to the InterContinental Presidente Hotel in Polanco. Upon arrival at the hotel we went to the Balmoral Tea Room near the Lobby bar. This is a quaint little tea salon, beautifully decorated, with black and white photos circa late1800s and early 1900s. We were seated at a table and given a menu. Though the price of 210 Pesos per person was right, what followed later was anything but.

We started out with a tea selection. Freshly brewed tea was not available, so we were offered a selection of 20 tea bags. Boiling water was not on the menu, so we had to settle for lukewarm one. Good Scones were accompanied by soft white substance masquerading as clotted cream. Jam came in commercial small jars which can be found at a supermarket, and Lemon Curd did not make an appearance at all. Tea sandwiches were made of stale white bread, overly toasted and cold. We were presented with six small sandwiches, each one topped with ham (talk about variety). Smoked Salmon and mashed egg salad were not to be seen. Cakes were too few in quantity and too stale in quality (what is a stale Napoleon doing in an English Tea service?).

After 30 minutes of this fiasco I heard a courteous voice saying “Mrs. Smith?” I turned around to meet the Tea Room manager’s gaze. Mr. Manager (he did not introduce himself) wanted to know how we liked our Tea so far. My partner made a “más o menos” sign with his right hand, to show his displeasure. The manager tried to communicate with us in a broken English and left after a few minutes.

When our check arrived we noticed that the bill was cut by 50%. I appreciate the good will gesture Mr. Manager but this is simply not a good excuse for a bad Tea.

It would not be an exaggeration to declare that this experience is the worst Afternoon Tea we ever had !!

Room Tip: Avoid the Afternoon Tea "Package" at all cost.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TamiSmith

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. We're disappointed to hear that your stay fell below your expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience during your visit to our Balmoral tea room. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, to give us the chance to improve future guests' experiences. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My friend and I wanted to spend a day in Mexico City exlporing the museum of Anthropology before she flew back to the US. We also wanted to stroll through Chapultapec park and have a nice dinner nearby. All of this was an easy walk from the hotel Presidente. We secured a room at a special AAA rate saving us about $40 US dollars. Arriving before noon we asked to have our luggage stored until check-in and the staff was more than accommodating. The Lobby is open and beautiful and a comfortable place to sit and puruse the complimentary maps offered by the concierge. Our room was very comfortable with a magnificent view of the park and the Civic Center. The beds were very comfortable as well. There was no hair dryer in the room and we had to ask for another coffee cup, otherwise it was excellent. There was some renovating on our floor but we were not disturbed by it.

On returning from the Museum we stopped across the street at a 7-11 to purchase bottles of water and soft drinks, as the ones in the hotel minibar are incredibly expensive. There is also a Starbucks across the street where you can grab a more affordable breakfast than the 500 peso pancakes offered in the restaurant.. Just down the street is a fine cevicheria where we enjoyed samplings of several ceviches - my favorite being the very simple Peruvian style. The concierge can offer many fine suggestions for restaurants if you prefer not to dine in the hotel but ask for a radio taxi rather than taking the hotel van which is twice as expensive. This is doubly true for trips to the airport or bus station.. I think this hotel is best for business travelers. If we hadn't specifically targeted the Museum we probably would have stayed at one of the great b&bs Mexico City has to offer closer to the old district.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are preferencial but may also have a premium. Some booking sights may hav...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our location, lobby, room, concierge and beds; we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future .

Reviewed March 27, 2014

PLUS
-The location is prime
- There are many restaurants to choose from (Au pied du cochon - french classy delicious cuisine)
- The hotel is very big even has it's own parking (very expensive) and coffee shop
- Bed is very comfy
- If you are a member of the Ambassador's Club you get upgrade to the next class room which is worth it cause there is a section for refreshments you can enjoy plus 4pm checkout!
-The view from a high floor is very nice to be able to see the city

DOWNS
- Shower is not that great, neither the bath - they could do so much better
- Service at times is slow and pricey
- There is at times too many ppl so you have to be waiting
- Their website at times is more expensive than searching in hotels.com

YES I will stay again, YES I prefer it from the other hotels right besides in price for your money

Room Tip: ask for a bath room in the highest floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anilu77
Guillermo447, Gerente at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for giving us your feedback about out hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our location, restaurants, bed, view and Ambassador’s benefits; we do appreciate your loyalty to our brand and to our hotel. Regarding on your comments about the shower and bath, just let me mention that we are under renovation process of all our guest rooms including showers and baths. In reference to “service at times is slow”, rest assure that I will share your comments with all the staff in order to improve our service quality. We look forward for your next visit to our hotel!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The service at the 39th floor is excellent
The food is outstanding, the drinks are excellent and the waiters (capi) in Mexican are amazing
The view of the 39th floor is amazing (you have the lounge on the same floor, which is very convenient)
The hotel is located in a safe and central area

Room Tip: The problem is that they enter your room many times a day for, cleaning, bar, making your bed before...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Guillermo447, Gerente at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your preference and for sharing your excellent comments about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our Club Lounge, view, location and most of all the service provided by our staff and “capis” at our 39th floor. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future to provide you with the same good service.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I hardly ever write reviews, but I want to warn travelers to stay away. I typically stay in the Marriott next door but they were booked this time. As my colleague is staying there, I opted for the Intercontinental to be close. Got here today. The room first of all was not king size as reserved, second it was not really clean - half empty water bottles,used coffee pod still in coffee machine. The water in the coffee machine had brown gook floating in it - it was disgusting, yuck. I have to do some work on my laptop. A cleaning lady comes in without knocking - and does not even apologize, just tells me she has to bring a new shower cap. Also, there seems to be renovation going on - I hear hammering, the noise is awful. When I complain, they tell me they will give me a new room - this is now over 30 minutes ago and I have not heard back! Can't wait to leave!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for giving us your feedback about your stay in the hotel. I am really sorry for all the inconveniences that you experienced in our hotel, there are no excuses for the bad service that you received from our staff. Rest assure that I already shared your comments with our management staff in order to take action and prevent this kind of incidents. This is not the service that we are use to and it is a real shame that you had such a bad impression of our hotel. I hope you can give us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the service that you expect from an InterContinental Hotel.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This hotel is centrally located in "safe zone" area of Mexico city called Polanco. I stayed in club level room so I do enjoy the benefit it brings including breakfast in 39th floor where I can view the beautiful Mexico City in the early morning. The service is good and attentive. The breakfast comprises of quality food but the variety is quite limited and no salad at all. The room is clean though rather small compared to other hotels in the range of US$400! It has a big window so I can watch the beautiful city of Mexicon day and nights. I like it. The bathroom is decent with limited supplies of soaps and shampoo and the like. In general, the room is fine. The only problem that I already learn from previous travelers is the noise of door closing from other rooms. I checked and found out there is a big gap between the floor and the door so most of the time, I am waken up by heavy noise from other doors closure. I think the management should look into this matter, otherwise it is difficult for guest to get a nice sleep.

Room Tip: Anthropology museum is just next to the hotel; hop on hop off bus stop for city tour is right across...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our location, Club Lounge, breakfast, room, view and most of all the service provided by our staff; I would also like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the noise produced by doors closure. I would like to share with you that we are under renovation process of all our guest rooms and we are trying to improve on this matter, we do appreciate your advice regarding the gap between the doors and floor. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future to provide you with the same good service we did last time and better soundproofing in rooms.