“Great Host! Great Location! Great Place!”

Dakota Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 167 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I recently spent 3 days at the Dakota B and B while vacationing in Mexico City, before going to Puebla. We enjoyed it so much, we extended our trip, returned to Mexico city and stayed an additional 4 days at Dakota B and B. The rooms were nice and clean, the shared bathroom was fine, and the common areas were pleasant. We enjoyed the nice breakfasts, which usually included fresh juice, good coffee, nice bread, and a main dish of eggs, french toast, or quesadillas. There was usually some special touch, like homemade jam. The best thing about the place, however, is the owner Max. He is deeply knowledgeable about Mexico City and he helped us to plan our days with easy public transportation, interesting (and sometimes off the beaten path) places to visit, and fun places to eat. He keeps a couple of inexpensive and good bottles of wine on hand for purchase, and several times he joined us in the evening for interesting discussions about Mexico City history, culture, and society. Fascinating! We were lucky during our visit to share the B and B with several interesting "housemates", including a classical violin trio who plalyed a concert for us (really they were practicing, but it was amazing). The location is great. It's super easy to get around using public transportation (which Max will guide you through) and most of the big tourist atrractions are quite close.

If you need absolute silence to sleep, this isn't the place for you, as you can hear some house noises from the bedroom, but the neighborhood is quite tranquil and quiet, and the house rules suggest quiet hours from 10 pm to 8 am.

All in all, Dakota is a great place and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Staying at Dakota Bed & Breeakfast was exactly what I needed when I visited Mexico City. I was by myself, and the Dakota B&B was a safe haven from the madness (however fun) of Mexico City. The room was absolutely beautiful and spacious, quiet, clean, and the breakfast each morning was delightful. Fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, coffee, etc. The area (Colonia Nápoles) is really safe and quiet, yet close enough (walking distance, really) to a lot of fun restaurants and bars in Condessa. The owner and host, Max, was really nice and helpful—he gave me maps of the city and recommended some places I should check out on my last day in the city. I'd definitely recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Dakota Bed and Breakfast was like coming home to peace every night after being out and about in this crazy busy city. We were fortunate to have the whole place to ourselves for all three nights that we were there. This B&B was spotlessly clean, very modern, and every evening the lights were dimmed with soft music playing. The room was fine, nothing flash, bed was not the most comfortable and it did not have an internal en suite. In saying this the share bathroom (which we had to ourselves anyway) was a very funky, original bathroom, very clean and large. Breakfast in the morning was very simple.

Max, the owner, sat down with map and showed us some good local restaurants, he also gave us a travel card which was helpful. Max was very friendly, and always willing to help.

Mexico city is HUGE but this B&B is in a great location which is very easy to get back to after a big day out. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2011

A great place to stay in a fantastic city. The location is superb - a safe neighbourhood and within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars and public transport. Max, the owner, is incredibly helpful and has a wealth of knowledge about Mexico City. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 8, 2011

On my first week in Mexico City, I felt very fortunate to be able to enjoy my time in the D.F., at the Dakota 55 Bed and Breakfast. For myself, it was a feeling more like being a family member, than as a room number at a hotel. Max is a very hospitable host, and he will share his knowledge about the D.F. (as it is called) freely with you. Max has handout maps, a very generous morning breakfast, and a very clean establishment. Max even made his home telephone available for local calls. The Dakota Bed and Breakfast is located within 2 blocks of the Avenue de los Insurgentes From there, you can travel to almost any location in the D.F. I made arrangements to spend my last week, while in Mexico City, at the Dakota 55 Bed and Breakfast. For me it felt like coming home again. I had read everything I could find, about safety in Mexico City, and because of the very visible police presence, I felt safe and secure during my stay in Mexico City.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The Dakota B&B has a lot going for it: Great prices, airy and comfortable rooms, good breakfast and a central location. But what makes it a true gem is its owner, Max.

Affable and knowledgeable, Max is the perfect host. His suggestions for restaurants and sights to see were spot-on. His directions were easy to follow. He never led us astray.

He loves Mexico City and is genuinely excited to show his guests what makes D.F. such an amazing place.

Thanks for everything, Max!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2011

good value, but be sure to take Pesos for payment not USA dollars as quoted in $$$ on website. Max is a great guide to eating and cultural places . Always available for your questions

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple