“Olympus tour - BRILLIANT”
Review of Xochimilco

Xochimilco
Book In Advance
$54.99*
and up
Mexico City Super Saver: Coyoacán and Frida Kahlo Museum plus Xochimilco and...
$72.00*
and up
Mexico City Super Saver: Teotihuacan, Tlatelolco and Guadalupe Shrine Plus...
$75.95*
Private Tour: Xochimilco, Coyoacan and Frida Kahlo Museum
Ranked #14 of 116 Tours in Mexico City
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Built on the same site as a major pre-Columbian city, Xochimilco is famous for its floating gardens and is a popular weekend destination among tourists who visit in boats.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
West Sussex
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Olympus tour - BRILLIANT”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We booked a tour through Viator, we even booked the wrong date by mistake, they easily moved the booking - no problem. We were picked up from our hotel at 9am by Mildred, our tour guide, and it turned out we were the only ones, so in fact ended up with a private tour!
Mildred was brilliant she told us so much about Mexico City, it's culture, it's past and present and at every place we stopped she was fully of really interesting information.
It was a pleasure of a tour and I recommend that you book through Olympus, ask for Mildred.
The only thing I might suggest is that if you want Xochimilco to be lively book a weekend tour, ours was on a Wednesday and it was blissfully quiet around the canals and other sites.

Visited May 2014

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Alternative Xochimilco...Isla de las Muñaces”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Go to one of the boat ports in Xochimilco, do not book a tour, barter with the boat controllers. Instead of getting the standard tour of the canals and flower gardens, we requested to go to the island of the dolls.The boat was less than £10 each between 6 of us and we rented it for 4-5hours. We took our own alchol on the boat, which is expected and a stereo for music, on a nice day it is beautiful, gorgeous greenery, mariachi boats, etc. We went to the supposed haunted island of the dolls...an unusual and daring experience but well worth it and something not all the tourists do, look it up, or go and see for yourself.

Visited October 2013
6 Thank josietwe
Warsaw, Poland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“One of advantages of Mexico city”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I visited it with the Mexican friend. It is a very relaxing boat trip inside of the crazy city. The sights are very good and You can actually see a part of the real Mexico city which is founded on the lakes. I found these floating gardens very interesting.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Marcin B
Mysuru (Mysore), India
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Venice of Mexico”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

A short way away from the hustle and bustle of Mexico City, lies the Venice of Mexico - Xochimilco. Board any of the "trajineras" or the wide manual boats and let them take you on a tour around the canals. If you are in a good number, negotiate and you can get a good deal. The ride is a slow relaxing ride and most of the pleasure is in buying food and other items from other floating boats. Grab a drink, sit at the front of the boat and enjoy the scene. The ride takes more than two hours, depending on where you want to stop (there are small islands where you can buy things) during your ride.
The best way to reach there is to take the Metro (Line 2/Línea 2) to the end - Tasqueña. A quick walk out of the platform will take you to the Light Rail station (Tren Ligero) which takes you directly to Xochimilco.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ramesh_vish
SF Bay Area
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“It's a must while in Mexico City!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I was in Mexico City with my boyfriend in February, and one day he had meetings all day, so I hired a guide from Royal Cars & Tours and went to Xochimilco and Casa Azul. Although we got stuck in traffic on the way, it took us about an hour to get there from Mexico City. My guide told me that it would cost me 400 pesos for the entire boat no matter how many people were on, so I paid 400 pesos for about 2 hours and had the entire trajinera all by myself and my guide. While on the boat, we became friends with people on a neighbor boat and they shared food with us, which was a fun experience. Next time I would love to go with a group, have a picnic, and hire some mariachis to play music for us!

Visited February 2014