“A very nice hotel in a great location”

Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
philadelphia, pa, usa
“A very nice hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The Marquis Reforma hotel is a beautiful hotel with wonderful art deco touches in the Chapultepec Park area of Mexico City. The hotel is right on the Paseo de Reforma and is walking distance to the National Anthropology Museum and the National Zoo in Chapultepec Park. From the moment you step out of your vehicle, the service is excellent - the doormen, the bellhops, the check in staff - thank you! We were in an Executive Suite and happened to have a balcony overlooking Paseo de Reforma - wonderful - thanks to the check in folks who gave us this room. A balcony is very nice and not many of the rooms in the hotel have one! Our room was on the 1st floor and there was a little bit of noise from the elevators but any noise was manageable since we really wanted a balcony room. Very comfortable king size bed, separate seating area with a couch, coffee table and desk and chair. Nice size marble bathroom with a huge shower (no bathtub), bathrobes and slippers and nice fluffy towels. L'Occitane toiletries are a nice touch. Very big closet with plenty of room to hang up your stuff, drawers, safe and an iron and ironing board - a very nice touch. There is also a small refrigerator/mini bar set up.
Turn down service in the evening with chocolates on the pillow, slippers set by the side of the bed and fresh fruit.
We had breakfast included with our stay and Mon-Friday it is an amazing buffet breakfast with all kinds of things to try. Sunday is brunch or menu service - also pretty amazing. I have to say that the breakfasts were the best meals that the restaurant served. We had dinner 1 night in Canarios and it was average and a bit disappointing after the amazing breakfasts (this is why I only gave 4 stars instead of 5). Service in the restaurant, however, is excellent.
The hotel also has the largest hotel spa in Mexico City - it is huge with an indoor pool, numerous treatment rooms, separate locker and jacuzzi and steam room areas for men & women - we only tried the pool and jacuzzi - I wish I had more time there as some of the treatments were very enticing! The hotel does have WiFi at a cost of 200 pesos per day - with the availability of WiFi these days, it should be free but some hotels in the USA and other places around the world are still charging - this policy should change. Our package included WiFi so we did not have to pay and I have to say their WiFi service is fast and pretty good.
I highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a stay in Mexico City - great location, beautiful hotel and friendly staff who really know how to make you feel welcome! Thanks so much for a great stay!

Room Tip: We were in room 102 which has a balcony, however, there is some elevator noise but we felt having a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dannerd
MexicoMonica, Gerente at Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's always a pleasure to know that all staff provide optimal service quality to our guests.

We appreciate your positive feedback and would like to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards

Angelica Villalobos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I booked through a mileage program and hotel totally messed it up -- just got it straight in March when hotel admitted they were wrong -- so now I can do hotel review!

Upon arrival we asked for two rooms each with a king bed -- as in the reservation. We were shown to 2 rooms with 2 beds each.

We had stayed there in August and there was loud construction nearby so I asked for rooms on the quieter side of the hotel. "Construction? What construction??" they said -- so I assumed there wasn't any more hammering...WRONG! 6:45AM!!

Well, we had a wedding at 12 Noon so after breakfast in the coffee shop (where essentially you are charged for breathing -- like a separate charge for each cup of coffee although they don't tell you that when they come around encouraging you to have more coffee!! -- ) we were in the lobby and we asked someone else about the noise (as we had 2 more nights!). We were told that "Of course the street side is much quieter." They did offer to move us, so we did that at 11PM when we returned from our festivities. My son and his family were leaving the hotel at 6 AM for the airport so they didn't care...

Of course the new room had no hair-dryer and was missing a bedside lamp, but I had my own dryer and we were too exhausted to worry about any more details. We also made our own transportation arrangements or took street cabs as the hotel supplies only very expensive black suburbans -- probably armored --

All that said, other service people were lovely -- but I am not staying there again. There are too many other hotels in Mexico City!

Room Tip: Street side!! Better view and that's a BIG skyscraper being built -- and they work during the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MexicoMonica, Gerente at Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Miss. Rebeca

I really appreciate all your comments.

I would appreciate if you could provide me your contact details to get in touch with you, since the Hotel Marquis Reforma does not have any mileage program. So, I would be please to investigate the situation about your reservation.

You can contact me to my phone number: 1800 901 800 7600 or 01 55 52 5229-1200

Best Regards,

Monica Alvarez
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel did not fail in any aspect. They know what they are doing. The rooms are luxurious and full of amenities one expects in a premium hotel. The restaurant Los Canarios, which does not belong to the hotel, but it is in the same building – is a real treat. The ony two, you can say “negative” comments are: 1) It is very tacky to charge a $250. 00 pesos per day for Internet access. If you want to upgrade 1 MG, they hike it up all the way to $350.00 pesos. If they are charging hundreds of dollars per night, I think it is unreasonable to score another 60, 70 dollars from you using this service, which is usually free, and 2) the swimming pool at their Spa does not accept children under 18. Again, if you are paying top dollars, they should extend the courtesy. We saw the pool online, and assumed that we were entitled to use it; but that is not the case. My 5 year old was quite disappointed. It is very safe, you need your room card to use the elevator, and they always have at least two security people by the front doors watching who comes in and out. The rooms have a safe, useful in México. I enjoyed watching the Spanish channel TVE and the Italian Rai.it on their cable TV. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. NO noise to be heard, anywhere, extremely quiet. The rooms come with a pull-down curtain, which blocks all the sunlight. ***** Stars for this hotel. However, either lower the Wi-Fi charge, or include it as an amenity.

Room Tip: I assume all the room are as quiet as the one they gave us.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BernardoBernal
Dear Mr. Bernardo

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma, It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the internet cost and access to our SPA, in our web site you will find some special rates that include both services.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marquis Reforma for seven nights and loved it! The rooms are spacious,beautiful and comfortable. I would recommend upgrading to a suite for a fraction more, it's worth it. The restaurants in the hotel are great if you are tired and not feeling like getting out after a busy day. The staff is excellent, gracious and everyone is bilingual. The concierge staff is also full of great ideas and can offer many great tours. The hotel is also located in a great spot so you are able to walk to many great restaurants and sights in the area but also it's very easy to get anywhere in the city from the hotel because of it's great location. We were very happy with our stay there and would recommend the hotel to any of our friends. I've heard in other reviews complaints about paying for the wifi and that might be the only thing I was not excited about as well. They even make you pay per device so if there are two people with computers and phones, it quickly adds up. Aside from that one thing, I loved the hotel, the spa and all the lovely food they offer. I would most definitely go back there next time I am in the city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evapistola
Dear Miss. Eva:

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Marquis Reforma, I will share your comments with our team regarding you experiences.

I´m glad you got the chance to be in our Junior Suite and really hope you found it confortable,
we are working with our internet company to be able to offer better alternatives in the future.

South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I usually stay in the four seasons - but will use this instead - its across the road and way better. Firstly its got some very nice restuants in the building which is very convinient. The rooms are large and the lounge is separate from the bedroom which I really like. Wake up calls were reliable as was the airport pickup service. The internet and breakfast were included. The gym was well equiped with helpful staff.

The only negative was a rude lady at checkout who tried to charge me for the included internet - but backed off quickly - albeit rudely when i told her that it was confirmed in my email and on check in that it was included - I guess she was just taking a chance.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Marquis Reforma. Our Guests´ feedback is always important to us.

We are constantly working with our Staff to improve the service and your comments are very helpful for us, please be sure that we will take measures regarding front desk actitud in order to provide quality service.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Marquis Reforma is in a great location on the Paseo de la Reforma, right in the heart off the business district. The staff is very friendly, helpful and many speak well in English if you don't speak Spanish. The restaurants are excellent, especially Canarios for lunch or dinner. I'd highly recommend the hotel especially for business, but would happily return for pleasure too.

Room Tip: The suites on the front are lovely but can be noisy if there's a protest going on, which can hap...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest

I appreciate the time you have taken to send us your positive comments during your stay at the Hotel, as well our services and our restaurants.

I will share your comments with our team.

Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Marquis Reforma was in a good location, the beds were wonderful and we loved how the rooms were set up with a small hallway/outside door and 2 rooms off each small hallway. This made it great when traveling with children - you could have 2 rooms next to each other with a single entrance - perfect! however this is definitely NOT the place to stay with children. They have an indoor pool but children are not allowed in the pool. We stayed over the holidays and unfortunately the pool was closed, the restaurant was closed, etc. There was nothing on their website noting the closures. If we had known about the 'no children' rule or the closures, we would have stayed at a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KriCole
Dear. Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa.
I´m sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding children’s activities; we are pleased to inform you we are working on that, in your next visit we will have a lot of options for children’s that you can enjoy in the city.

Your feedback is very important to us, and we will work to improve the points you mentioned, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.