“Best to stay elsewhere”

Ranked #43 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Palo Alto, California
“Best to stay elsewhere”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel is very old and it seems they haven't renovated the rooms in years. That still doesn't justify the poor maintenance, but the combination of the two makes it feel like a dump. I stayed here because we had a business meeting at the hotel. The convenience of going up the elevator instead of fighting Mexico City traffic made it worth it, but that's the only circumstance I would recommend staying here.

On the positive side, the staff was great, the food was really good, the gym was well equipped and they have an attached Starbucks and views to Mexico's most important monument. With a renovation, the place could be very attractive, but until Sheraton makes that investment, stay elsewhere. There were plenty of other hotels nearby.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AG_world_traveler
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear AG_world_traveler Guest: We appreciate your taking the time to share us your recent experience at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City. We regret not having meeting your expectations about the condition of your room. We are working on an important project that will allow us provide you wonderful experiences. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you in a near future. Cordially,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jamesburg, New Jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Was here on a business trip to mexico, you can be sure its the safest place in thecity, donno about other areas, as it was my first time in mexixo,

The facilities are fabulous, the Italian resultant is great, so is the breakfast in the manhatten delli.

the IHG membership of mine gives free internet access, guess that is something you should consider.

The other downer to the whole experience was the noise insuraltion, I was able to hear the other guests across the room visiting the restroom, and using the flaucet...it was awkward, ..as sometimes I felt there was someone in my room..., while actually it was the other room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear dinoyaj Guest: We appreciate your preference for the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City and the time you took to share us your experience, same that has been forwarded to the areas involved. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon. Cordially,
Denver, CO
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Excellent staff including housekeeping; very secure, next to U.S. embassy; very good location, on the edge of the Zona Rosa near Chapultepec Park, across from the Angel statue; big hotel with lots of services, shops and restaurants. Join the Starwood Preferred program. Very good deal on the weekend.

The most impressive thing about this hotel was the staff. They were very courteous and helpful. Most spoke English very well. I should have asked how many other languages because the guests seemed to speak a lot of different languages. This is a business hotel. Someone said it was the largest in Mexico City. It is right next to the US embassy so there are lots of police and private security in the area. There were also guys standing around the lobby in black suits that were obviously part of security - all were quite courteous. Though not my first time in Mexico, this was my first time in Mexico City. I was a little paranoid and the Sheraton was just the place to stay while dipping my toe into La Ciudad De Mexico (wow!). I am far less paranoid now. We stayed here twice on this visit, overnight going into Mexico on the way to San Miguel De Allende and six days at the end of our visit. The first night was in the old part of the hotel and at the end in the tower. Both rooms were nice and the beds were great. After reading tripadvisor I joined the Starwood Preferred program before making my reservation. Maybe that's why we had nice rooms. They certainly took note of my membership. I also made my reservation through the AAA website not Sheraton's. The Sheraton website had the best price but AAA's was refundable and not that much more and I got the wifi, breakfast (not great but sufficient - a businessman's kind of thing with good fruit and juice), and the gym included. The rooms had a safe, three phones?, a window that opened a little, giant towels, and they left four little bottles of water everyday. I called housekeeping every afternoon upon returning and they would immediately bring me as many additional free little bottles of water as I wanted. There is a Sanborns next door to the hotel that had a little of everything including a popular and affordable restaurant. I really enjoyed Mexico City. It was very affordable. The Sheraton cost me about $110 on the weekend and about $140 during the week. I'm ready to go back, maybe a long weekend. My friend commented that it wasn't Mexican. I assured him that everything in La Ciudad is real Mexican. The Maria Isabele was affordably slick Mexican. There are two krispy kreems within short walking distance.

Room Tip: Join Starwood Preferred for room upgrade. Check AAA for good rates for the wifi, breakfast, gym upg...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear chuckofdenver Guest: We appreciate your great feedback. We are delighted to read about your experience at the Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel & Towers. The hotel is well located, in a very secure zone, due to is right next to the US Embassy. Our hotel Team feel proud of working at the Sheraton Maria Isabel and this is reflected in the care and service they provide to our guests. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back during your next trip to Mexico City. Cordially,
Munich, Germany
Reviewed March 11, 2014

For Business People it is no good Location, because pick up by guests and parking is critical.
The Hotel is outdated in architecture - a lot of concrete, no nice design.
The Lobby Level is old fashioned and not attractive.
The Food in the Restaurant is not that good.
I would not have Chosen this Hotel, my Business Partner booked my room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kurt K
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Mr. Kurt K Guest: Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Maria Isabel as your home away from home. We appreciate your bringing to our attention your experience, same that have been addressed to the areas involved. We hope to the opportunity of welcoming you soon. Cordially,
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Pool is a glorified bathtub.
Rooms are dated and only somewhat clean. Lucky if you have hot water in your room. (Water in the pool is warmer than the tap water.) Pool area is crazy hot. Too bad they don't have a jacuzzi or any kind of service up there..... Bar service or massage by pool would be awesome!!!!

Good towels, okay bed. Curtains don't come together fully. Rod that pushes them back don't work well. Food (room service) is kind of expensive considering what you can get if you leave the hotel. Starbucks inside thank goodness!!!

Few of the staff speak English. Customer service nothing to write home about. <----- seriously!!!!

Entertainment most nights. Safe area as US Embassy is literally a stone's throw away however, I'm telling you, you could do a lot better than this place. Think twice!!!!

Don't know how they qualify for four stars. (Giving it three but wish I could go 2.5)

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear WD27 Guest: We appreciate your sharing your recent stay at the Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel & Towers and offer you an apology for not meeting your expectations. We are addressing your feedback with the areas involved, who will be taking care of them. Thank you for bringing this our attention and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon. Cordially,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Room was poor quality compared to other hotels at the same price range. There was an extremely strong perfume scent that seemed to be even stronger when the air was on, not great for anyone with allergies.

Staff was great, as well as lobby/restaurants, but rooms could use major improvement.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank dastanfo155019
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear dastanfo155019 Guest: Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City. We offer you our apologies for not meeting your expectations. We are addressing your feedback with the corresponding area to make a follow up to the strong scent. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon. Cordially,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I just stayed for one Saturday night. Got a room in the same tower as the pool. Room was quite small and quite intensively filled with stuff. Like no surface was left uncovered. Especially the bathroom was cluttered with all kinds of junk, little signs telling me what to do, extra towels and cosmetics etc....it took a bit of getting used to. There's a bit of a worn out 60s feel to the whole place, like a lot of other people have mentioned it needs a refurb.

But hey, I slept comfortably, didnt use the restaurant, location is excellent and I had a nice time cycling on Reforma with no traffic on Sunday morning. Staff were helpful and polite, advised me on bike rental.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
DianaVerdin, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear ploeb1 Guest: Thank you for sharing us your feedback. We regret for not meeting your expectations. During this year we will start with our renovating program to our rooms. We are happy to read that your rest was comfortable and you enjoy the Sunday cycling on Reforma avenue. We look forward to hving the opportunity of welcoming you soon. Cordially,