“Conveniently located - comfortable and adequate”

Sheraton Mexico City Maria Isabel Hotel
Ranked #43 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Horsens, Denmark
“Conveniently located - comfortable and adequate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Staying two nights in Mexico City during the weekend, my business connection had chosen this hotel for me and my colleague. Check-in and getting the rooms was fast and efficient, and the room I got (facing the US embassy) was clean and quiet (I guess nobody creates disturbances right next to the embassy).
I was a bit surprised that wifi was not included - it is after all a US-based chain operated hotel.
Breakfast is fine and the service is attentive on the bring of being hovering - the guys behind the counter for the hot meals were though less happy and it seemed that I would make their day by forgetting it all and disappear.
Please notice that tips are not included - and be prepared to leave cash when you leave - this applies to all services ranging from the bellboy to the valet parking. If you're an European this is always something you tend to forget - so now it's mentioned.
The bar is fine and on the top of the hotel there's a small pool with a nice view.
Please treat yourself with a visit to the nightclub. There's live entertainment with a Mariachi Band, a Salsa Band, and some other groups, depending on the night, I was told.
The Mariachi Band is really great - so don't miss them.
The Bar Jorongo is somehow expensive - but they don't charge for the music - only for the drinks...
All in all Sheraton Maria Isabel is a OK hotel with a good location. There are tons of shops, restaurants and even a supermarket just round the corner - and on Sundays you can enjoy the Paseo being closed for traffic - enter outdoor Zumba classes, cyclists in abundance and people roller-skating, or just hanging out watching people.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the US embassy are very quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for a week on a business trip, and surprisingly for the price had a very nice stay. I had trouble with my room service one night left a note on my tray, and was immediately emailed at 2 am from the manager apologizing and letting me know my meal was on the house.

Pros:
Very comfy and clean bed
Very clean room
All staff were helpful and nice
There's a Starbucks next door!

Cons:
Rooms aren't very sound proof so you may get woken up by other loud guests.
Room service is very expensive with extra fees in the fine print of the only on the tv menu
The restaurants a a little hard to find, the hotel book doesn't tell you where they are so you have to ask

Room Tip: Ask if your room faces the angel, mine faced a tennis court
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a good, comfortable hotel right in the heart of the city near the Reforma area. The rooms are adequate and clean and there was free internet but only in the lobby. The hotel does have a pool on the roof which is rather small but there are some good views from there. The hotel bar and restaurants are both very good if not a bit expensive. Next door to the hotel is a good local restaurant and behind the hotel is a cheap internet cafe and small supermarket for supplies for your room. If you plan to do the sightseeing bus tour of the city the pick up/drop off point is opposite the front of the hotel. I did this, its great value and you can hop on and off all day. I would do the bus tour rather than walk very far in the city, you do have to be careful. It is however a great place to see for a few days and the hotel is in a good location. The lively "zona Rosa" is opposite the hotel and is a 5 min walk away but watch your wallet there!

Room Tip: Rooms ate the front have the best views but can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

This traditional hotel has invested in upgrading their facility but they forgot about customer service.

At check-in, my internet reservation with a US$140 rate was lost and they said that rate didnt exist and they would have to charge their best rate of US $205. I went online, found my reservation, but no apology from the front desk.

Then, a person came to meet me for dinner and the front desk insisted I had never checked in.

Then I paid for their 24 hour internet rate, used it the first night, and when I tried to reconnect in the morning, I couldnt. I called the Concierge Desk but they couldnt help and indifferently suggested I go to the Business Center which would open in two hours!

1 Thank JoaquinCartagena
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was there on business for two weeks during May 2012. It was my first trip to Central/ Latin America. The hotel staff made it very comfortable.

It is a great location on Reforma. There are a lot of options for eating out there. I used to step out for my dinner. It was very convenient.

I was there on one of the weekends also and the hotel leased out a bicycle for me. I had the famous cycling trip on Reforma on Sunday morning. It was the highlight of my trip on personal front.

I am a vegetarian and the spread in breakfast had very limited options for me. The non-vegetarian options seemed much better.

The rooms were well equipped. The wi-fi was brilliant. The bed was very comfortable and the shower clean.

I will definitely stay here if I happen to be in Mexico City again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

The hotel is a good choice for the Reforma area. There are a lot of restaurants nearby. The room was comfortable and the ac unit quiet. There were good choices of tv channels. The internet was free in the lobby with the Sheraton Link area so I did not purchase the wifi.
The lobby bar is a great place to watch a game with a lot of TV's and a big screen over the bar. There are ATMs available in the hotel which was convenient. The hotel is nice and all the staff there was happy to help you. I needed a taxi one day and they have special unmarked cars for their guests providing extra security. Their rates seemed reasonable as they have fixed pricing on a printed list.

2 Thank engineer64
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. I have travelled to Latin/South America frequently. I have also stayed in Mexico frequently (7-10 times), and this was the third time that I have visited Mexico City. That said, I have never had to pay for WiFi at any other hotel. Already paying about 145/night, just to discover that I would have to pay an additional $15/night for WiFi was a shocker. As someone staying well over a week, this was a significant cost add on. In addition to that, parking costs about $15/night for guests. My last time in Mexico City, I stayed at a different hotel down the street where parking was free. In short, on my first night at the hotel, I discovered that I would have to pay an additional $30/night. That is ridiculous.

Incidentally, the WiFi in the attached Starbucks is free. Guess what part of the hotel was full every night? Coincidence? As you can see in my picture, the Starbucks is in shambles....literally. Holes in the ceiling, and the walls looked like someone starting painting, and then stopped.

The hotel as a whole is well beyond it's prime, as you can see in my pictures. During my entire stay, 2 out of the 3 elevators were down. Who knows for how long they were down, and for how long they will remain down. Considering that there are 20 or so floors in the tower that I was staying in, having only one working elevator is beyond pathetic, and I am surprised that there was no urgency to get at least one of the elevators back up and running ASAP.

This hotel is right next to the US embassy, so security is not an issue I would think. That said, security in the entire area is not much of an issue lately. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo