“Excellent”

Four Seasons Hotel Mexico City
Ranked #8 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Booked 6 nights at this hotel. Obtained a good price through a travel agent as their rack rate is expensive. 100% pleased with my stay. The service is excellent throughout the hotel. Room very good size. L'Occitane amenities are nice. Gym is very well maintaind and attended and I was able to enjoy the small pool all to myself, with nice details such as cold towels, fresh fruit and juices brought to me every now and then.

Food was very nice although the menu was not as extensive as it could have been. Buffet breakfast is very Mexican oriented, tamales etc. try the a la carte if you prefer more American style items. Food prices were as to be expected at a hotel of this category ie. not cheap, but I didn't get any nasty surprises on my final hotel bill.
Rack rate is over my budget, but at a decent rate through a travel agent will definitely repeat on my next visit.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank dan79Spain

Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was my first time staying at the this hotel. I travel frequently to Mexico City and I like to stay at different hotels to compare them. The lobby is wonderful and so is the garden area. The hotel hallways are a little old. I stayed at the Saint Regis before this time, and in my opinion is a very strong competitor for this hotel. A little bit updating would help. The garden area again is superb and cannot be surpassed by the others. My room was at the end of a relatively long walk, so I could see how time has taken its toll on the carpet, etc. My room was very quiet, clean, spacious and very comfortable. I slept soundly. The staff was always helpful and attentive. I did not like the breakfast. I tried chilaquiles and they were a little bit too salty. I should have told them, because I am sure they would had taken care of the problem. I left my I phone in the room when I checked out. The assistance of the person in charge in sending my phone back to my home in Dallas, Texas was prompt. Also speaks for the safety of the hotel. I am very thankful. It is a great place despite its age. The spa is excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cocopeanut
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've had the pleasure of staying in approximately 15 Four Seasons during the past decade and all of them have ranged from very good to exceptional. The Four Seasons Mexico City didn't live up to the brand's famed reputation.

Please know that an overall "poor" rating for a Four Seasons equates to "acceptable" or "above average" for most hotels. I hold luxury hotel brands to a higher standard and they charge accordingly for the promised level of service and luxury.

First, the positives:

1.) The courtyard setting of the Four Seasons Mexico City is fabulous. It's a gorgeous courtyard and a genuine escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.

2.) Location on La Reforma is excellent in the heart of the city.

3.) Rooms are quiet as the majority of guest rooms and suites face the interior courtyard.

The negatives:

1.) This hotel urgently needs a major renovation of public areas. The lobby was very pleasing but the guest hallways were dreadful. Worn out carpets, scuffed paint and a generally ran down ambience to the guest hallways. They were very tired and sorely in need of an update.

2.) Room airconditioning was insufficient. Room was uncomfortably warm. I speak Spanish so communicating with the engineer was easy. The problem was the central chiller was not sufficiently turned up and therefore the room was warm. The engineer turned the central chiller up and the room went cool within 30 minutes.

My point is why was the chiller not adequately adjusted to begin with? This is a Four Seasons and while I appreciate energy saving efforts I was paying for a properly working airconditioner.

3.) Internet was extremely slow and necessitated a room move. A huge inconvenience and the internet service was expensive. Staff offered no apologies nor did they volunteer to remove the internet charges from the account. While I never asked for compensation it should have been offered.

4.) Benefits that came with my reservation were not automatically applied. Removing the breakfast charges and applying a lunch credit took approximately 15 minutes during check-out. The receptionist acted completely un-empowered and hopeless having to ring room service and other departments for authorization to remove minor charges that should have already been removed as part of my reservation package.

5.) Upon check-in an automatic upgrade to the next category should have been offered as part of my reservation package benefits. It was not offered and I had to request the upgrade.

6.) A welcome gift and card generally come with Preferred Partner bookings. I received a small bowl of fruit and a bottle of Fiji water with no card. Very impersonal and I'm certain all guests receive this pittance of a "welcome amenity".

7.) Upon check-in my domestic partner's name was not included on the booking nor did they have my e-mail address. My travel agent provided the hotel with this information. Why it was not known upon check-in is a mystery to me.

8.) We had breakfast in the lovely courtyard restaurant on two occasions. Staff were slow and not very attentive. Service was indifferent.

9.) The hotel lacks a real spa. It's an old fashioned massage treatment area like you would have found 15 to 20 years ago in a five star hotel. It was pathetic. However the quality of my massage was superb!

10.) Concierge recommended an excellent restaurant for a Sunday night - Puerto Madero in Polanco. Dining on a Sunday evening in Mexico City is tricky as most venues are totally dead and many are closed. Puerto Madero was an excellent choice. However the concierge never rang back the following day to confirm my Monday evening dinner reservation. This lack of follow up from a Clefs d'Or staffed concierge desk is a real shock!

11.) As previously mentioned the transportation service offered by the hotel is ludicrously expensive.

Overall I can't recommend this Four Seasons hotel. The brand new St. Regis just down the street is much newer, fresher and offers better service and a finer ambience.

I would avoid this Four Seasons as it offers poor value for money and there are better options available in Mexico City now.

Room Tip: Facing courtyard and high floor for a quite room.
3  Thank Darrell S
riacezia, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Thank you for your extensive and detailed review and appreciate your blunt comments. Together with my team, we will discuss each of the points you mention in order to take the corrective measures necessary to avoid some of your observations of repeating.
SIncerely,

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The rooms and general ambiance are lovely. We were on a tour with breakfast included. Nonetheless you are given an invoice to sign and option to leave a tip. Given we don't usually tip for breakfast (especially as most of it is self service) I just signed. The waiter brought it back and told us we hadn't left a tip! A few points. Most of the breakfast service was carried out by ourselves. The hotel rates are usually breakfast included, the price quoted on the breakfast receipt is a bit fictional, you wouldn't choose to pay this price, so it is unreasonable to base a tip on this fictional rate. Given how expensive this hotel is they should be able to adequately reward their staff and not expect me to pay their wages.

At over GBP 200 per night the hotel isn't worth it. It's certainly not a Shangri-La or Mandarin Oriental. There are a number of four or five star hotels in Mexico City which I assume would be much better value.

I spoke to the duty manager, he said he would send an e-mail to the resturaunt, rather less action than I would expect. On the other hand the lady on reception was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
riacezia, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Thank you for your valuable comments and I am distressed to learn that we have an employee performing this unnaceptable behaviour. We have investigated thourougly this situation and are taking the proper actions for this isolated case not to repeat again. It is embarrasing to say the least.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at the Four Seasons for three nights while in Mexico City for a wedding. The property is luxurious, with a beautiful, open-air inner courtyard, and a nice, but small outdoor pool But I think the very best part of this hotel is the concierge staff and drivers/guides. All of our questions were answered, arrangements and reservations made and all with a kind smile by Julio and Jesus. We met our new friend Salvadore when we arranged for driver to a wonderful breakfast on our first morning there, and ended up spending the next two days with him as our Mexico City tour guide. Salvadore was very knowledgeable and quick, and with determination made sure that we saw the highlights of the city including the Palacio Nacional, Plaza de la Constitucion and the Catedral Metropolitana and the Museo Nacional de Antropologia just on the first day! The second day was a drive to the Teotihuacan Pyramids. Please take the time to see the city with Salvadore and take the wonderful recommendations of Julio and Jesus in this colorful city.

Room Tip: 8th floor, in case you want to nap during the live music!
1  Thank CarolinaGirl09
Reviewed April 6, 2012

DECEPTIVE AND DANGEROUS...During a US State Department Travel Advisory for Mexico, my US passport was stolen from a backpack in my room, 30 seconds out of my possession (top floor suite) along with my i-phone and cash. The room safe was not working. The staff failed to help. The General Manager refused to talk to me. The rooms division manager was accusatory. Our trip was completely ruined. Furthermore, several dishonest occurrances happened such as telling us the house car was a taxi, no AC even though they assured us the AC was on. The hotel is run down and lacks security cameras in the hallways or elevators. There are no security personel on any elevators or any elevator entry. The staff is generally rude or oblivious. This place was a nightmare. Wait staff chased me down for a bigger tip despite terrible service. The hotel is not a five star hotel by any means. Two skinny, rental police offer a false sense of security outside while the staff managed to steal my belongings inside. The concierge desk was confused the entire stay. Nobody knew where to send us. The spa was lame. Service was generally lacking and onsite pricing was extraordinarily high (house car was $26 for a 7 minute ride). Beware.

10  Thank heartland44
riacezia, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to discuss these issues with you personally and we have been able to address your concerns.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Overall: Though a bit dated, the FSH Mexico City is probably the best in the city for business travelers.

Pro's: Entrance lobby/courtyard are beautiful. Spend all day in the bars and restaurant in the courtyard and meet everyone you need to know in Mexico.
Feel's very safe, there is practically an army outside.
Service is great.

Con's:
Room's, while spacious, are a bit old. Bathroom's especially.
Slow internet
Takes a long time to walk to rooms because of all the security layers
Neighborhood around hotel is fine but not the best of the city anymore and lacks any street life.

For leisure would recommend one of the newer boutique hotels around the city.

But for business, I would definitely go with this over the St. Regis (we had dinner there.) despite being new it's a bit of an odd-ball and lacks any character.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business