“Like having your own place downtown Mexico City”

Chillout Flat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 141 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Like having your own place downtown Mexico City”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I spent a week in Mexico City. One of the highlights of our trip was our stay at this cozy b&b. The owners, David and Eloisa made us feel right at home with their excellent service, great attitude and good tips on what to do and how to get around this beautiful city.

According to reviews, we had gotten the noisiest room with a window to the street, to our surprise and delight, David recently had double pane windows added to the room so the noise level coming from the street was minimum.

We particularly enjoyed breakfast time where we got to share stories and adventures from the prior day with other guests from around the world as well as David and his Wife Eloisa.

Because Chillout Flat is within walking distance to dozens of museums and galleries; hundreds of restaurants, bars and taco joints right in the middle of centro historico, we had time to enjoy more of Mexico City within the week we stayed there.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raul_NG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This b&b made me feel like I had my own appartment in Mexico City, located in a great spot: downtown, beautiful buldings all around it, metro stops a few steps away from it, museums, authentic local food restaurants. David is super accesible and friendly, he makes you feel like you're visiting a good friend that you haven't seen in years, don't be affraid to ask for his advice, insights on the beautiful city. I was there for a concert (radiohead) and still got to see many many sights around the flat.

Cheers David, keep doing such a great job!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AbrahamGBJ
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I made our first stop in Mexico City on a 2-week rendezvous for an anniversary trip, and by far this is the best hospitality we've received during any of our travels. We unfortunately did not get to meet David, since he was away during the time of our stay, but we were hosted by friends of his, Liliana and her husband, whom happened to make us feel at home just the same. Liliana's breakfasts were delicious! Something fresh and different to eat every morning, plus she was very helpful in providing directions on how to move around the city. I think we ended up with one of the smaller rooms, but it was all we needed (i.e. easy access to public trans and all the fun, clean and tidy room where we can crash and re-energize, feel-safe place to stay...). I'd recommend to Chillout to my family and friends, and as a matter of fact I have. One of my friends just visited David last month, and she was just as pleased and agrees that this is the best place to stay...She and I are planning to go back...hopefully very soon!

Room Tip: I hear some of the rooms inside by the common area do not have bathrooms inside. We stayed in one o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tere0817
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the Chillout Flat B&B and had a wonderful time. The B&B is really in a great location. My first night there I walked two blocks to the Palacio des Bellas Artes and saw the Ballet Foklorico and it was terrific. I liked my room. I loved the breakfasts. I really loved David Martino, the host! He was super friendly and encouraged me with my limited Spanish and laughed at my jokes and told me the best way to go to Teotihuacan, the Lucha Libre wrestling, and everything else I needed. He was a great ambassador for his country and made my stay really great. I recommend the Chillout Flat.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank fanoftennis
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was the perfect place to stay with friends right in the centre of Mexico city. Enormous beds and great breakfast. Our bathroom wasn't in our room but it wasn't a problem and there are rooms with en suite. David was so helpful organising our airport transfer and advising us with our sightseeing plans. We took a bicylce taxi from the Zocalo (v close to the Chillout flats) to Ciudadela market - highly recommended. Drinks on the roof of Condesa DF hotel and lunch in Dulcinea restaurant in Polanco also highlights.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sophie P
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I have stayed in various places to sleep during the past twelve years or so, ranging from luxury hotels to modest backpacker hostels, in many different cities around the world (probably about 30 or so by now, haven't counted them really), and I hereby solemnly declare that the Chillout Flat B&B in Ciudad de México is the best of them all! The owners, David and Eloísa, are very friendly and helpful, and truly kind persons -this being the most distinctive aspect of the Chillout Flat. Breakfast was always delicious, with a different preparation every time. The place has a great relaxing feel and the rooms and the common areas are very comfortable, and also nicely decorated. Location is excellent, with the metro station just around the corner and many shops and places to eat nearby. I would very much like to return to México one day and if I ever do, even if I have the money to go to the most luxurious hotel in town, I would probably prefer to stay at the Chillout Flat B&B instead.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Prana room with a friend (two queen size beds) and at the Kundalini room, alone (wit...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank franciscosebastian
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here for six nights in March 2012. We took cab straight from the airport for 180pesos - after David kindly emailed us the instructions before we arrived. The location is perfect for exploring Centro Historico, in a period apartment building, less than five minutes walk to Allende Metro station.

David is the perfect host, very friendly and welcoming, fluent in English, and always on hand to help with directions, places to eat, and to visit. Worth booking for alone!

The flat is colourful, clean and spacious, with a communal dining area, communal television. and computer. There is free and fast wireless and even a communal fridge for beer! As the name suggests, it is very easy to chill out here.

The breakfasts are great and served until 9.30am. They are freshly cooked and traditional with fruit and juice as well as fresh coffee, or you can help yourself to cereal at any time.

We stayed in the "Kohar" room. It was fairly large and filled with a comfy king-size bed, with
plenty of storage for our bags. It was clean, and colourfully furnished, and the bed was made up for us every day. The fixtures and fittings are in different states of wear, but the room and bathroom had a very homely feel. We had a private bathroom with our own key, but it was 2 or 3 metres down the corridor, which was fine with us - David provides bath robes as well as towels. It was generally quiet, no noise from the street, but at times noise from adjacent room and the hallway was present, which may affect a very light sleeper, but not us!

In addition to advice, David also lets you borrow from a library of guide books, and sun hats for trips.

It is reasonably priced and if you like the feeling of traveling to stay with a friend instead of a hotel, this is the only choice for you.

Room Tip: Email David - there are rooms with En Suite bathrooms if you prefer. We stayed in the "Kohar&qu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple