“Excelent food and good price”

La Casa de las Sirenas
Reserve with OpenTable
La Casa de las Sirenas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 4,785 Restaurants in Mexico City
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro Historico
Description: Located in the historical and cultural core of Mexico City, just a few meters from the Metropolitan Cathedral and the prehispanic Templo Mayor, nearby the Zócalo, this XVI colonial construction offers a high level service, the finest contemporary mexican cousine, amazing views wether you sit on it's splendid terrace or in one of the interior rooms. La Casa de las Sirenas is an unforgetable 100% Mexican experience you need to enjoy on your Mexico city trip.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Excelent food at a reasonable price. Tortillas are cooked in front of you so they are probably the most fresh ones you´ll try. Order chicarron with guacamole, shrimps with rice. Spicy sauces are served as side-bowls so you can mix it up at your wish. Exelent view of Zocalo area adn a good spot to try some pictures.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Situated on the third floor of a MXC alley overlooking the cathedral and main temple, you'll climb every single one of those high-altitude steps to get here. Much deserved tamarindo margaritas reward those who make the climb, as well as quite tasty food with a view of MXC's most famous sites. Don't miss the fabulous duck carnitas, but expect a heavy bill.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Picturesque setting overlooking governors palace and cathedral. Excellent fish dishes and attentive wait staff.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice setting, but regular food,
but extraordinary price.

At the end the waiter even decided his own tip.

1  Thank Janus11
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The food was quite good and well-prepared.

Drinks here -- apart from beer, which is average-priced -- are very expensive. They offered me a margarita and I blindly took them up on it; it was delicious (and fairly large), but it was also almost $9 (converted from pesos to dollars), which to me sounds very high for a native drink in a country where things are generally cheaper to begin with. I looked at the wine menu, thinking that I might get a bottle with dinner, but a bottle that costs $7 on sale in the US was over $30 on their menu. Bottom line: be prepared to pay if you want booze with your meal.

The service was very good and the waiters were extremely polite.

I was here with a group of six, and at the end of the meal the waiter took it upon himself to add a 15% service charge (written in with pen) to the check. There was nothing on the menu that said that they would automatically add something for six people or more. I found this to be very presumptuous, first of all because in Mexico the usual tipping is 10-15%, so they started us out at the high range, and second of all because we were not very high maintenance customers. In fact, we bought a lot of little extras, and it would have been a nice touch (and a prompt for me to give a more generous tip) if they had left one or two of those off the bill. Besides, they also charged us a cover charge of 20 pesos each, which I did not recall seeing on the menu.

The waiter then proceeded to ask me to pay the "service charge" in cash, and I got the impression he was also hoping I would add a tip besides. At this point I felt like they were just seeing what they could get away with. As a result, I did not add anything extra in tip and I also insisted on putting the whole thing on my card.

End result: an otherwise lovely (if not a bit expensive) evening ended on a low note because of waiters who were unwilling to take the risks that are associated with their job, and trust that good service will get them a good tip without their having to force the matter.