“Worthwhile”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Reserve with OpenTable
Astrid & Gaston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #144 of 4,785 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Alejandro Dumas y Eugenio Sue
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We were blown away by a couple of trips to Astrid y Gaston in Lima and over time have been sampling various outposts of the chain in other cities--Madrid, Buenos Aires and now Mexico City. Our out-of-Lima experiences have varied, but we came away happy in Mexico City. The room and the service take the top honors. It's big, modern and well-appointed with a main dining room that leads seamlessly to a covered patio. We were on the patio where a big fireplace supplied just enough warmth. The staff was great. I opted to proceed in Spanish and they kept to their end of the bargain with good humor. The food? We went for the basic test dishes: ceviche and lomo saltado. Both were satisfying while lacking a little something in execution. Even so we had a great time and would return to this one without hesitation.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was our first experience with A&G and we were not disappointed, but rather, quite impressed. It would be a given that pisco sour and ceviche would be good (by the way, the ceviche we had was quite different from the Mexican version which was a nice change; I guess one can debate a lot about what constitutes the right ceviche in Peru). More memorable was the open ravioli with shrimp starter, a beautifully constructed and thoughtful dish. The main dishes were good but not sensational, the goat was perhaps undercooked, or at least very soft. As Greg we had the chocolate esfera which was fantastic. The service was outstanding, very attentive and polite without being obtrusive or fussy. Kristina I have no doubt there are better and cheaper Peruvian places in Lima, just as any high-end Mexican place in Lima (if there are such) would of course suffer in comparison with DF-kind of impossible standard, but A&G does belong among the upper echalon of Polanco dining destinations.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

After a week in Mexico my family and I were ready to try also a different food type besides the Mexican. We had yet 2 weeks to continue with the mexican and more specific with the Yucatan food to go.

So we went to this Peruvian restaurant in Mexico City, which was a great gourmet experience. It is a branch of the famous Peruvian restaurant Astrid y Gaston. Delicious food, cosy and beautiful environment as well as good and friendly service. What else to ask? Pisco drink was also something to remember! Prices are not that friendly, but it's worth going there.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Having eaten at Astrid and Gaston in Bogota and Buenos Aires, I looked forward to the occasion. But I was disappointed. On the positive side, the atmosphere was energetic and very appealing, with fires lit to our right. And the service was attentive without being top-notch. But the food was far less than I had expected. While my own ceviche was excellent, my friend's was mediocre, almost devoid of taste. Both our main meals were average. Did I have to go to Astrid and Gaston to get fish and rice sauteed in soy sauce? Only the desert, a chocolate bombe, was extraordinary and memorable. What can I say, perhaps the chefs were not trying hard that night.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

High prices for sure. But the place is really great, very design and trendy. Service is just perfect - very high level. So prepare to spend a lot of money but you'll get a unique experience of atmosphere and of peruvian food. And to make it easier when you have to pay, here is a tip: you'll see that the bill looks very much nicer after a couple of their (excellent) pisco sour cocktails.