Tripadvisor
Mexico City

“wonderful view, spotty service”

El Balcon del Zocalo
Ranked #30 of 6,887 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cuauhtemoc District
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The view is wonderful, the food was perhaps a little too ambitious, and the service was spotty. We waited over half an hour before our cocktails arrived, after our initial server told us we could not split the 5-plate appetizer tasting menu, that we each had to order one. We explained that we would not be able to eat our entrees if we each had the tasting menu, she said she would have to get permission for this, and never returned. The appetizer tastings did eventually arrive, in fits and starts, some dishes explained, others just dropped off by a hurried team of waitstaff. The food was of uneven quality--a sublime combination of flavors on one plate, an overdose of salt on another. The server who eventually focused on our table was engaging and pleasant, but would disappear for long periods. On top of the unsettled feeling the service created there was a very loud (American) guest several tables away who was not asked to keep his voice down; not only bothersome for all the surrounding tables, but embarrassing to the Americans among us. A somewhat disappointing evening.

1  Thank Laurie S
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Laurie,
We greatly appreciate your comments. We will take into account your comments to improve for you. Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconveniences that you had with our service. We take this opportunity to tell you that all of our tasting menus have to be order by each person in the table to be tasted. Your feedback is of utmost importance for us. Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration to make your future visits more enjoyable.
We hope to serve you soon.
Vladimir Mayllen.

Write a reviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had two breakfasts here. Friendly welcome, good service and the view is fabulous — though we did have to listen to loud protests from the square part of the time.

Fruit and yoghurt good, croissants fabulous .... the scrambled eggs were odd... perhaps only egg yolks? Also had the egg white omelette with ant eggs ... very good!

Dear Saharboralice,
We greatly appreciate the kind words you took the time to share with us. We are honored to read that you had a really good experience at Balcón del Zócalo thanks to our attentive service and breakfast. We believe in the small details that make a huge difference. Our Chef Pepe Salinas has created a menu that enhances the flavors of Contemporary Mexican cuisine. We are glad that you enjoyed it. Your comments encourage us to continue improving day by day.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in your next trip.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful evening view over the Zocalo. The food was very good as well - the cochinita pibil was falling off the bone, and large enough for two. The grilled octopus was delicious. The desert of tangerine crema was superb. And the staff was very attentive. Not cheap, but worth going for the overall experience.

1  Thank Randy S

Dear Randy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your kind comments about our restaurant. Our main aim is to make your stay as pleasant as possible by taking care of every detail. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed our cochinila pibil, grilled octopus and tamgerine crema desert; as well as our attentive service. Our main objective is to provide our guests with a moment according to their expectations.
We hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed January 19, 2020

The food goes from fair to excellent with beautiful presentation of every dish but the service is so horrible it ruined my dining experience. I had to ask for bread after our appetizers were served while I had seen it just dropped on every other table at the beginning of service. Not once was my water glass refilled I had to pour from our liter bottle myself for my daughter and I throughout the meal. They brought the wrong appetizer. When I told the runner this I was told I was wrong I insisted I had ordered the beef carpaccio and the octopus entree, they had brought octopus carpaccio when I asked for him to bring the waiter over who had taken my order no one appeared. My request to have beef carpaccio was ignored and the entrees got dropped on the table. As we were finishing dinner the waiter finally appeared and insisted on bring beef carpaccio which I no longer wanted at this point. I took two bites just to see how it tasted, actually mushroom aioli doesn’t work that well as it was obviously made with button mushrooms and didn’t pack much of a punch for flavor ( to his credit I was never charged for this nor the wrong appetizer that I didn’t want or eat) then the runner came and cleared half the table and just disappeared about a half hour later I caught his eye and pointed to the rest of the plates on the table. My pointing to the table was answered with a dirty look from the waiter although he did come and finish clearing at this point the head waiter came at dessert and was very apologetic about my dining experience but at this point his presence did not do much to undo my less than pleasant ding experience.
This restaurant seems to have an ethos of doing what they want and telling the customer that they should just take what’s is given to them as I was a guest at the hotel I went back to the restaurant for breakfast the next morning. I asked 4 people for a second cup of brewed coffee and was finally brought a cup from the express machine after about 20 minutes.When I said I did not like coffee fro the espresso machine and wanted more brewed coffee like my first cup I was told it was the “same” and that I should just drink it. When I insisted I wanted brewed coffee she then to,d me it wouldn’t be ready for another 5-10 minutes. At this point I had to go as I had a 10 o’clock appointment and could not wait any longer

Date of visit: January 2020
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Victoria.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us. However, we are deeply concerned about the inconveniences you experienced at our restaurant. We will review these issues with our team to implement the appropriate corrective measures. Your feedback is of utmost importance for us. Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration to make your future visits more enjoyable.
Would you be so kind to share with us more about your experience at info@centralhoteles.com?
We hope to serve you soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

An Uber driver recommended this place for the food and the views and we were a little suspicious that it might be a tourist trap. Not at all!! This was a great evening. The views from the patio are incredible and worth paying a little extra for.

Our service was great- Omar and Diana were so attentive and helpful in picking our dishes, wine, and cocktails. Cocktails are super fun and inspired and the wine list features some fun wines from Mexico.

We didn't do the tasting menu. We loved our appetizer which was a Mexican inspired gyoza with some kick. The bread and housemade butter were DELICIOUS! I had the avocado risotto as a main which was totally fine. Nothing super outstanding, but after five days of culinary adventures in CDMX, was the right amount of adventure. My husband had a beef shank which was incredible.

Really great experience with yes, STELLAR views. Make a reservation on the balcony for sure and know you'll be taken care of with great service and quality food!!

Date of visit: December 2019

Dear brandeeztravels.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion about our restaurant, Balcón del Zócalo. It is pleasing to read that you had a fantastic time with us thanks to our wonderful view from our terrace, attentive service, gyozas, avocado risotto, beef shank, housemade bread, wine and cócktails. You can be sure that we will share your warm comments with our staff, especially with Omar and Diana, we are sure that they will be encouraged to continue striving to improve day by day. We are committed to providing our guests memorable experiences.
Please come back! It would be an absolute pleasure to host you again.