“Excellent view, delicious food, very nice cocktails”

El Balcon del Zocalo
Ranked #36 of 6,708 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Cuauhtemoc District
Reviewed April 7, 2017

You can visit this restaurant/bar both for lunch/dinner and just to drink some cocktails. The cuisine is not genuine Mexican but rather a "restaurant" type. Anyway all dishes that we tried were very good. Be aware that the place is very popular and you can wait for a free table if you come on Friday or Saturday.

Date of visit: March 2017
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2017

Dear Leonid,

Thank you for your comments. As you have noticed, our Chef Pepe Salinas has developed a menu that combines the tradition and innovation of Mexican Contemporary Cuisine in order to provide you with a unique experience. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed it.
We really hope to see you soon!

Vladimir Mayllen

Write a reviewReviews (2,275)

Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

I had breakfast on a Sunday morning the sun was out the breeze was blowing and we had a perfect view of el Zocalo, I had the chilaquiles that had a poblano sauce which was delicious. Definitely a great place to get a bite to eat.

Date of visit: April 2017
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2017

Dear Angelica,

We are thankful for your comments. It is great to know that you enjoyed the majestic view of the Zócalo as well as our culinary proposal. Our main aim is to provide you with a unique experience.
We will be delighted to serve you again.

Reviewed March 30, 2017

My mom and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Balcón de Zócalo. It was dark when we ate, and the lights of the plaza were so magical. Definitely make a reservation so that you are able to sit outside on the terrace. On Thursday nights (and maybe other nights as well) there is live music!
We started with a Caesar salad that was prepared by our table. It was very delicious and well prepared by one of our servers, Francisco.
My mom ate the filet which she thoroughly enjoyed and I got the red snapper, also very delicious with a sauce that was a bit spicy (but not overly so).
We finished off the meal with the chocolate cake. It was delicious as was the thin, hazelnut cookie that accompanied the cake.
The cocktails were creative and tasty (mine had a bit of chile in it!)
Ivan, our main server, and Francisco, his partner, were very attentive (but not overly so which was good). They gave us space to enjoy our meal and knew when it was a good time to ask us if we needed anything else, etc. We were so grateful to them for the great service. And very glad that we got such a great meal, live music, and a beautiful view.
Our first night in Mexico City might be the one we never forget!

2  Thank katieperu1988
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2017

Dear Katie,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very happy to know that you and your mom enjoyed an unbelievable first night in our city thanks to our culinary proposal, attentive service, and wonderful atmosphere.
We will be waiting for you with our arms wide open.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2017 via mobile

After a 4 hour flight from Panama (with predictably forgettable airline food - sorry AeroMexico) I wanted a snack before turning in. I asked the concierge for a suggestion and she directed me to El Balcon del Zocalo.

It was late enough when I arrived (after 9) and all the outdoor tables (overlooking the grand plaza) were taken but I got a table inside that still gave me a decent view.

My resolve to settle for a snack (a salad or another starter) began to weaken when I saw the menu. I opted for a tuna sashimi (with an unlikely pickled watermelon and trimmings) followed by a Margret de canard - all to be washed down by a glass of Mexican red (whose name meant nothing to me).

Bliss.

Pure bliss.

The sashimi was shockingly good. The flavours an orchestra of surprise. (And really decent portions too).

The magret was superb: generous slices to sink your teeth into and seared fat to tantalise the tastebuds - but still tender enough to close the eyes and savour it all. Magic!

Oh! And the red wine was just delightful too.

The asset test was that I put my iPhone away for the duration of the meal (notwithstanding an overflowing in tray).

An unexpected treat at the end of a long travel day.

Chapeaux! Balcon del Zocalo!

1  Thank bobsDublin

Dear Bob,

We are thankful for your great review. It is pleasing to read that you had a fantastic culinary experience after a long flight.
Our Chef Pepe Salinas has created a menu that enhances the flavors of Contemporary Mexican cuisine. We are glad that you enjoyed it. Our main aim is to provide you with a unique and tasteful experience.
We will be delighted to serve you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 26, 2017

The restaurant is nice and placed in an unbeatable setting, with a great view to the Zócalo. The food was good and reasonably priced.

The one issue they really need to improve is their waiting list system. If the receptionist tells you that you have to wait one hour to be seated, she requires you to be present there the full hour. This is ridiculous because no one would be harmed if they let you to go away and visit the Cathedral to make time, for example. To avoid any issues and misunderstandings, they should only warn you that you would lose your turn if you do not show up when your table is ready. We kindly advised/requested this to the receptionist, but she could not care less.

Date of visit: March 2017
CentralHoteles, Director General at El Balcon del Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2017

Dear Raul,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read that you enjoyed our culinary proposal as well as our majestic view of the Plaza de la Constitución.
Nevertheless, we apologize for the inconveniences that you had with our service. Your feedback is of utmost importance for us. Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration to make your future visits more enjoyable.
We hope to serve you soon.