“A crowd pleaser”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A crowd pleaser”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Everyone (well all the Americans I have spoken to) love this museum, myself included. Great, colorful Mexican folk art I'm a nice, new space. And a nice, if pricey, gift store. Worth a visit

Visited November 2011
1 Thank Sinaj9

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
london
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Inspiring , amazingly well displayed : light and airy - a real treasure !”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was recommended to visit the shop at this museum of popular art by a european female friend living in Mexico city - The aim was to get some good quality presents for friends and family - though I myself was hoping to get something special to bring back home from my trip !

I highly recommend visiting this museum as soon as it opens because this is what I did and I felt so privileged to meander and wander around each rooms almost for myself (at the exception of security guards present in each room) - although if you do speak spanish, some of them are really good at explaining what the items are in a very light manner.
Entrance is free for mexican teachers and students discounts . I did not mind paying the entrance at all for the pleasure I had and I just LOVE it ! It's new , modern , white , airy - not crowded... I could take as many photos as I wanted without anyone bothering me or standing in front of me .
Superb labelling in english and spanish.
I enjoyed the temporary eco-friendly popular art exhibition (included in the entrance to the museum ).

What I like it that it is not an overwhelming museum - It actually made my day !

Disable access - lift or stairs - ultra clean toilets (although at first I went to the gents !) look out for the door symbols. I like the free water cooler there.
simple cafe by the entrance to museum but outside the street, plenty of places to eat as it is near government buildings with many employees (also 2 pharmacies in case you need something there too !)

The shop itself was well displayed with a very good sample of items you may find in a market - But it is expensive .However , I can see why some items such as 'handbags' , 'scarves' are beyond average tourist price. The work itself and designs are genuinely hand made.
I was curious about the price of silver earrings - 450 pesos would be an average pair of silver classic mexican earrings in at the tourist market (but it is usually per weight) - However I found silver earrings with flower design with stones and dragonfly with semi precious stones for 640 and 850 pesos which I have not seen in the market.

That was my last day in Mexico city - I did spend a good 2 h30 in the museum and shop in the morning before returning to check out at the hotel -

Visited August 2012
2 Thank sierrab
LO
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Unique museum”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This new museum really captures the beauty of the folk art created in Mexico. The displays are well-lit and described in both Spanish and English. This museum is a real treat.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank 2trav
Mexico City, Mexico
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Colorful and interesting.”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This museum presents a lot of handmade objects currently used in the different regions of Mexico. Gives a very good idea of the arts and crafts of the country and of the lifes of the craftsmen that make them.

Edina, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“We did not get to see it”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It was closed on the day the book on Mexico City said it was to be open until 8:30pm. So we never saw it - just visited gift shop for 15 minutes.

Visited July 2012