Hampton Inn & Suites Mexico City - Centro Historico
Ranked #18 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
Mexico City, Mexico
“Holiday”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This 3 star hotel should be upgraded to a 4 star hotel. We were staying for 11 nights in a suite. And to sum it up: Great hotel/4 stars - nice beds/3 stars- great suite/4 stars - great breakfast/4 stars - great location/5 stars = great Holiday/4 stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our family of 5 got 2 rooms. Beware that there is very loud construction going on in a building next door. It felt like we were under the flight path at a major airport. When I told the front desk there was no issue and they helped us move to 2 rooms on a higher floor at the other end of the building. My family loved the breakfast. The building is very nice but it is really the staff that makes this hotel special. Every single employee was kind and helpful. The only bad thing happened when we left. I asked the concierge to get us a taxi for the return trip to the airport. The price was 200 pesos. When we got to the airport the driver would not let us out of the car until we paid 300 pesos. I am fluent in Spanish so this was not a language misunderstanding. The driver just said too bad its 300 now. I don't think that the hotel was in any way involved in this. But don't count on the hotel to get you an honest cab.

Room Tip: Ask ahead to avoid the construction.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
dallas, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2013

this Hampton Inn has a beautiful architecture facade,very unique also in harmony with other turn of the century or older buildings at "historico centro ". My stay there are a part of good travel experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here once before, in November of 2011, and we promised ourselves to return. We did, August 22-29, 2013. We are glad we did. We will return again and again.

Everyone in this hotel is a professional. Everyone. At the front desk I remember Claudia and Jorge and I regret I don't remember the names of the others. The ladies at the breakfast buffet were lovely. The gentlemen who work security and are valets were terrific. Everyone aims to please and they do.

The building itself is beautiful and centrally located. There are bakeries, pharmacies, restaurants, department stores, liquor stores, everything, nearby. The Metro is close by too. Of course the Zócalo is two blocks away but it was occupied by the teachers' union while we were there so we never saw it. My wife and I ate twice at Garabato's, one of the restaurants inside the building, and it was fine if simple food.

The details matter. We were in Mexico City because I was registered for the Mexico City marathon on August 25. That morning I ate breakfast at 4:30 a.m., before the breakfast buffet opened, but the gentleman working the night shift at the front desk cheerfully let me use a bowl and spoon for my oatmeal. I happily report that I finished the marathon in 4:50:29!

Room Tip: Our room, #223, overlooked the atrium. It was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AMB&JAS
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed in a king bed suite, which happened to be on a corner, and was quite spacious and bright. The living and bedrooms were both very comfortable and clean, and included a fridge and microwave. The free breakfast was a generous spread, with some of the hot options and pastries varying daily. We were caught in the middle of San Angel during a thunder/rain/hail storm one evening, and when we got back learned that there were a ton of hooks and bars for hanging things to dry, which was really nice for us in that particular circumstance. We also left things quite a mess with our clothing everywhere, garbage cans moved about for throwing our soaked bits of paper, and towels all over the place from trying to dry the inside of our shoes, and they did a great job of putting things back into order and even moving a few of our drying items to places that allowed them to dry better.

The thing that makes it a four rather than a five is the front desk staff. On the balance they were mostly nice and helpful, but not always the most professional. We arrived very early to D.F., and went to the front desk pretty much expecting that the room wouldn't be ready and to leave our bags and come back. When I asked the front desk person if he had an estimate for when our room would be ready, he kind of sighed and told me "check out isn't until noon, so after that," which I found a bit unnecessarily rude. The WiFi password also was reset one day during our stay, without any warning to us, and when I called the front desk to get the new password the woman I spoke to was chatting and giggling with someone else and seemed a bit annoyed by the call. If the can tighten up the customer service at the front desk they'll easily be a top contender for our trips to D.F.

Room Tip: The suites ending in -07 are on the corner of Republica de Uruguay and 5 de Febrero, bright and spac...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Smyrna, Georgia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I tend to usually stay at Hilton's since I have their Honors membership. This was a nice building, had decent rooms and friendly staff. My wife and I only stayed for 1 night. We walked to the Cathedral (which is only 3 blocks) and upon seeing the tent city in the main plaza, promptly walked back to the hotel.

We had a suite, which did not have any outside windows (our windows looked into the hallway). I don't know if all rooms are like this or only the bigger ones.

We did have someone knock on our door in the evening and give us Hershey's kisses which was nice.

The restaurant attached to the hotel (Fisher's) is very good, per the recommendation of the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2013

When I travel my two criteria for staying anywhere are: cleanliness & safety, the Hampton Inn provided both! Just streets away from the beautiful Zocalo (downtown) and minutes away from all tourist sites. I had the misforutune to be in Mexico during the big teacher protests but all throughout the trip I felt secure. Staff is friendly and helpful, always with a smile. Breakfast was okay but within the hotel you have two additional restaurants. Overall a great place to stay I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo