“Nice hotel, great breakfast.”

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
Ranked #21 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Arlington, VA, USA
“Nice hotel, great breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Room: Small but very clean; even on the 6th floor you can hear a fair amount of street noise.
Service: Courteous and attentive.
Gym: Very good. Weights, treadmills, etc. all in good working order.
Pool: Nice, long pool. The hot tub is not hot at all, unfortunately.
Club: Awesome club floor. You can easily make a meal out of what they serve. You pay separately for alcohol, but it's a bit cheaper than the bar downstairs.
Location: Pretty loud, right on an active street in the downtown metro area. 3 block walk to the metro. A few decent restaurants close by. No ATM in the lobby, but you can walk the next block over for that.
Elevators: Aggravatingly slow. In my frustration I took to the stairs, only to be told those were for emergencies only. At one point, I think I waited nearly 5 minutes for an elevator.
Breakfast: My room rate included the breakfast buffet which was an awesome spread. Coffee left something to be desired, but wasn't bad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Francisco M
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest:

We really appreciate the time dedicated to share with us your comments, they are very important for our continued improvement.
Regarding the issue in the pool, we have taken note of this inexcusable service failure, immediately action was instructed.
Sorry for the time stolen from you, due to our elevator service. We have peak ours where service is affected to our 5 elevators. Please be sure that we do not take any comment or suggestion lightly. Kindly accept our sincere apologies.
Thank you again for your time sharing your comments with us. We look forward to your prompt return.

México City Marriott Reforma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

As A Marriott Gold Elite member, I spend quite a bit of time staying in Marriotts across the US and the world - and for the most part the experience has been very good. This hotel, however, is not only the worst Marriott I have ever stayed at but one of the worst hotels I've ever been in.

I called reservations to book a room at this hotel for an event that I was planning in Mexico City and I booked a suite with them. Because people were coming in from out of town, I wanted to have a suite for the people who were arriving early so we could all be comfortable. When I arrived at this hotel, the room they gave me was not a suite. After 4 hours of waiting, I finally was able to talk with the manager on duty who explained that didn't match the reservation I had, and offered to upgrade my room for $500 more. They finally gave me the suite they originally promised, but at a rate that was much higher than what we originally agreed on. By the time that they moved me to the new room it was late and my guests for the event were forced go elsewhere or cram themselves into the small room that the hotel had provided.

In summary, this hotel did not give me the room they promised me, gouged me on the price after the fact, and were totally apathetic to my side of the story. This hotel effectively ruined the event that I spent 2 months planning by not making good on their side of the deal. Do not stay here. The Sheraton two blocks away is much nicer and has a more professional staff.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 143William
Marriott_Reforma, Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest:
First of all I want to thank you for the time that you took for sending us your valuable comments, they are very important for us, our first commitment with all our guests is to satisfy all your necessities and make our hotel and our service the best option to meet your expectations.

As a follow up to your request I want to tell you that we have already verified all the information that you kindly provided us and your reservation was made on 4th of May through our central reservations office, the reservation was confirmed for one Executive Room with our weekend rate which is $187.00 USD + tax, no bed type was guaranteed only the executive room. Then according with your requirement at check in of a Junior Suite when we told you about the difference in the price you asked us to contact directly to Ruth Chavez in order to ask her what you told us, that she had promised a Junior Suite for you; then we connected you with her and she could got for you the authorization to give you a junior suite for $225 USD + tax instead of $510 USD + tax. According with this information we cannot reimburse any amount as everything was confirmed in that moment before you took the room and you agreed with that.

We know that as Gold Elite Member you have benefits and compensations in case you do not receive what you were confirmed but the compensation that you are asking for is applicable only if you are failed to another hotel having a guaranteed reservation then neither the compensation applies in this case, if you do not receive the guaranteed bed type the compensation is for 100 usd but as I have mentioned no bed type was guaranteed for this reservation.

Finally I really want to let you know that we were very happy to have you as our guest and of course we would like to host you again in the near future it will be a pleasure to take care of your needs, as well we will appreciate your understanding to all this situation, I can feel that probably you will not agree with the hotel resolution because any compensation or reimbursement is applicable in this case but I can assure you that everything was done in the correct way.

Hopping you have an excellent evening, please receive best regards.

Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed her for three nights for a business trip. The hotel is lovely to look at, and the service was excellent. Check-in was good, and there was no avoiding having bellmen bring up the luggage and show you the room. It was also a very secure hotel, with key card access for each elevator button.

However, when I got to my room, I discovered it backed up to the elevators. Having just recently stayed at another hotel with elevator noise, I said "no thank you." The front desk was a bit annoyed with me, saying "they turn off all but the center elevator at night." But I refused the room, saying it sounded like the ocean. I was given a room a few doors down, and a bellman to help me move the luggage. He went to the old room to retrieve it, and a few minutes after he left, I realized he had only brought over one of my bags - the one with my computer, iPad, etc. wasn't there! Panic struck and I called down to the front desk, but no one answered. I tried both 0 and "at your service" and let them both ring about 15 times, with no answer. So I went back downstairs and found the bellman, who quickly retrieved the other bag. Whew!

The room was very well appointed, and had a fridge and a nice sized safe. The climate control was good, and all the bathroom items needed were there. The view was of the roof of another building - not so great - but it was fine. The wi-fi was solid but a bit expensive - about $17 USD (250 Mex) for 24 hours. You could get smaller increments, but the cost difference between 12 hours and 24 was 50 pesos, so why bother. The TV worked well and had a few channels with English broadcasts.

We had dinner in the less expensive of the two restaurants, which was pleasant enough. Then came bedtime, when much to my horror I discovered that the fire alarm in my room was set to "strobe" - emitting a constant flash that lit up the room. For the next few nights, a towel muted the flash, but it didn't block it entirely.

One thing I though was odd was that they had a nice coffee setup, with a note saying the first bag was free and you had to request more (and pay for it). I thought, "surely they mean per day, right?" Nope. One bag of coffee per stay. Thank heavens for Starbucks Via!

The location was nice. There was a mall two blocks away with plenty of shops and restaurants. And there was a Starbucks (one of my local colleagues called it "The US Embassy" and they weren't wrong) within two blocks in either direction. There were plenty of American chains in general near by (PF Changs, Olive Garden, Califonia Pizza Kitchen) but we tried to stick with local places, except the Starbucks of course.

Overall, it was a very nice hotel and I would recommend it. But if you need sleep - avoid elevator rooms and strobe light alarms, and if you need coffee -- bring your own.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevators!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Soniab13
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We appreciate the time dedicated to share with us your feedback about your last stay at México City Marriott Reforma. This helps us improve the quality of services that our guests expect and receive.
We apologize for the delay in getting your luggage and briefcase to your unit at a faster pace, causing you, unnecessary stress.
Our Internet rates are in range if not better than any hotels in our competitive set. It is important to mention that we offer speed of up to 4MB if service is hired for 24 hours.
The led indicating the operation of our in-room smoke detectors is part of our fire security standards. We will mark this request under “preferences” in your profile, to solve this problem, when you return to Mexico City Marriott Reforma, making sure you have restful and undisturbed nights of rest.
To all our room guests we offer, on a complimentary basis, one coffee kit per stay. We understand this Marriott Standard was not to your liking. We offer, however, the option of having complimentary coffee, at our business center, where in addition our guests have access to complimentary water and tea. On your next visit to Mexico City and hopefully staying at Mexico City Marriott Reforma, we will make sure in-room coffee service, adapts to your long stays with us.

We sincerely hope to continue hosting you at Mexico City Marriott Reforma.

Cordially

Lic. Jose Manuel Castello
Director General
Le Castellet, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had a 2 night stay for work, every one was most helpful and friendly, my room was excellent.
Convenient and safe location, wish I had an extra few days there really.

My colleague however had an issue with his shower and was not insistent enough to have it fixed on that night, so I guess if you have a problem, don't let it slide if someone is not in your room fixing it within 5 min.

I'd go back without a doubt

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest:
We sincerely appreciate the time dedicated to share with us your experience on our hotel

We are pleased and grateful to know that our staff provided you with the experience you expected.

Please allow me to apologize for the bad experience your colleague had with the shower in the bathroom, please be sure that there will be a different attitude and attention to details pointed out, on your next visit.

Thank you again for your comments, It would be a pleasure continuing being your honored hosts in your future visits to Mexico City.

Cordial regards,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I just completed a five night stay here. Location is excellent, security is excellent and my room was spotless. Maintenance for small details needs attention. I'm not used to needing to report room maintenance issues to the hotel staff. I'm a gold elite member, the 16 floor lounge was a nice perk and the staff in this as we're on top of things. There was some sort of dissconnect between my office wh made the reservation, I did get the wi-fi free,,it was fast. I was also told that breakfast Buffett was included yet when I presented to the Buffett I was denied entry and told "my room number was not on the list". I think a phone call to hotel management would have solved this seemed beyond the hostess capabilities, in the end she kept me on my diet and I never went back to try entry, I felt this was rude and not the level of service Marriott usually extends their guests. In my room 623 there we several maintaince issues, the bathroom did not lock, the bathroom door always closed itself unless blocked open, bigger issues, the closet just inside the door would not stay closed, thus the closet light stayed on, first night I blocked it closed then reported and they fixed. The lights adjacent to the mirror in my bathroom were not working which made the bathroom dark, again I sported. The is in my opinion a potential for this to be a much better hotel,,,, someone needs to hire some quality maintainane folks to check details in every room. Knowing there are other Marriott options in the city such as the one ion Polonco, I'd most likely stay at a different property on my next visit.

Room Tip: My room faced away from Reforma, it was very quiet...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your valuable comments about services and feelings on your last stay; please accept our apologies for all inconveniences.

Regarding the situation in our Condimento Restaurant, unfortunately was lack of information with the reservations department and during your check in. As a Gold member, your breakfast was included in the 16 floor in our Executive Lounge.

No excuse to what you very precisely point out about the attitude of our staff, please be sure that is not the kind of service we provide and we do not take any observations lightly. Our Food & Beverage Manager has been informed and along with the Room Division Manager are aware of this situation and proper follow up will be implemented

About the issues in your room our executive Housekeeper took note and along with the maintenance team has solved all the damages.

Allow me to apologize again for the bad experience you had during your stay. It is really important for us each one of our valuable guests, so we invite you to come back to enjoy the hotel I am sure that you can have a different impression of Marriott Reforma; we are at your service.

Please let us know if you are planning to come back to Mexico City, we will be glad of having a new opportunity to re vindicate our reputation with you.

Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is my preferred hotel when I need to stay at the Reforma area for business.The price is convenient and the rooms are very adequate. The breakfast is well served. The rooms are always clean and quiet.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your sharing your experience!

Your opinion is very important to us, as we consider it a very valuable tool in our continuous search for improvement. We are always looking for opportunities to improve the quality of our services to secure your experience as our guest at Mexico City Marriott Reforma.

We look forward to hosting you again in the very near future.
Thank you again for your valuable comments!

Cordial regards,
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Spent a couple nights there for a business trip. Lots of very helpful and cheerful staff. Business lounge is among the best I have ever been to at a Marriott. Good food, lots of space, and relaxing atmosphere. Views from most rooms are not the best, but I was there on business, not to sight see, so no worries. Close to the Zona Rosa, so some of the bars can be quite lively and ofter a little rowdy. If you are not comfortable with that, do not go. Fitness room could use more weights and less aerobics, but that is my opinion. I would definitely go there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for the positive comments in regard to our Executive Lounge, we are glad to know that you found it as “the best you ever been “, and that our staff provided you with the experience you expected.

We look forward to having you back again in the nearest future.

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel Staff