“For a Mexican Experience”
Review of Villa Maria

Villa Maria
Reserve with OpenTable
Villa Maria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 5,232 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Polanco
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was staying in Polanco for business, and asked a few locals what a good authentic place to eat would be, and this place was highly recommended, when I first walked in, it seemed like it could be a Mexican restaurant in the U.S., with the standard decor. We ordered margaritas and they were giant. My tamarind margarita was ok but I probably should have tried something less touristy. The appetizers were smaller than expected but fantastic tasting, including esquites and guacamole. I also ordered some sort of mole-covered wrapped-up chopped green vegetable and cheese appetizer (the waiter explained it but I can't remember what it was--something I'd never heard of). The mole was outstanding. I'm not a mole expert but I've always hated e ones I've tried before this one. For dinner I had a Yucatan-style pork stuffed into banana leaves. The pork was great. I thought the little plain tortilla triangles with it were unnecessary. Careful with the little pepper that comes with it and looks like a small tomato--I had just touched it to my lips but was fortunately distracted long enough to notice my lips were on fire! It may be cliche but I liked the roaming mariachi band. The menu was quite impressive and unique looking. I wanted to try so much more. A little expensive here, but it was memorable.

1  Thank IronSulfide

Reviewed December 3, 2013

In my opinion, a little too touristy for Mexico City. Food was good, but could hardly hear my table's conversation because of the volume of the mariachis, that apparently, never take a break.

1  Thank BeccaT2
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was amazing with the mariachi band, ginormous margaritas, cold beer and good food. We had the taco assortment and cheese with chorizo which was phenomenal. I'd definitely go back and super authentic!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Brilliant Mexican food with Mariachis playing in the background. They serve massive Margarita slushy, and a big selection of Tequila.
I had a chocolaty Mole with a lovely tender steak and sweet potato and a strawberry Margarita.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food is spledid. The also had a Trio. The place is very comfortable. You have to try the sopes and the queso fundido con chorizo. The specialty of the house is the "Chiles en Nogada". I didn´t try it, but looked very tasty