“Casino Turned Restaurant: Solid Food and Service”
Review of Casino Espanol

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Cuauhtemoc District
Cross street: Francisco I Madero & 16 de Septiembre
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I've had breakfast and lunch here. They open every day for breakfast at 8 a.m. and it is delciious, reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is very old world, like being in Europe. It was once a private casino where the Criollo's and French loved their gaming tables. Lots of stained glass, polished wood. No photos allowed. The lunch menu is vast and substantial. Closes late afternoon, after comida. Eat before 5 p.m.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank Oaxacaculture

Reviewed July 6, 2014

After walking a bit that day my friend and I decided to rest a bit with a coffee and some dessert. The interior of this magnificent building is a must see. I would return to go for dinner as the food presented very well.

Date of visit: July 2014
1  Thank Pierre1999
Reviewed April 8, 2014

the interior of this building is superb, we had dinner in the main dining room on the first floor which was a jewel. the service was excellent.

Date of visit: March 2014
1  Thank RianaM673
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Before I start I want to say I went here in Summer of 2010. So we went here because my dad wanted to show us this palace that he had seen many times growing up in this city. So we go in and it was beautiful.

We go up the elevator into the restaurant and immediately they start to cater to you. EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!! THE BEST EVER!!! Now to be fair that could be because they really are great servers OR because they thought my mom was from Spain and was a food critic (shes not) lol. She just knew alot about the spices in the dishes since she is from Cuba and Cuban food is exactly like Spanish food and this is a Spanish restaurant not Mexican.

So they were hanging on her every word asking her opinion and my mom played along. We enjoyed it lol.

The Paella was fine, not bad at all. The cheeses were good. Dessert options delicious. But I mainly enjoyed the atmosphere, upper class Mexico City clientele, and quiet. I wandered around next to the bathrooms to see a beautiful antique ballroom that kings and queens have danced in(that's what i was told anyway). Just a beautiful place.

Date of visit: March 2013
1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stopped here thanks to TAdv, as we were wondering where to eat on a Sunday Afternoon in Mexico City's center, and we got a really good surprise. The entrance guides you to an elevator where in the first floor you'll find this old but nicely conserved restaurant with white tablecloth everywhere.

Food was just great, all the "Entradas" dishes are really good (we tried at least four of them), Paella is also great, and the waiters (an army of them) are always aware of you and ready for any request.

Price is a little bit higher than mexican average: around 30USD p/p with two entrance, wine and a main dish.

Tip: The place gets really crowded (as mentioned in other reviews) on weekends, so you should get there before 2PM or do a reservation after this time.

Date of visit: January 2014