“Look no further.”

Ranked #1 of 73 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
takeitallin14
“Look no further.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Granted, I didn't stay anywhere else, but this place was just AWESOME. Its #1 on TA for a reason. We stayed two nights in different rooms. The host is exceptionally knowledgeable and interesting. He knows all the history of Mexico, and is fascinating to talk with. They make great breakfasts in the morning. The place is a little hard to find, and the rooms were a little warm (easily overcome by the provided fans). The view is outrageous, and the location next to the "teleferico" or cable car (don't think its in the air, its anchored to the ground, think fancy, steep and enclosed escalator) is so helpful. I would, and already have, recommend you stay here without a doubt. They pay for parking, and give you passes to use the Teleferico. The water pressure was fantastic, and hot. I'd have to reach to come up with a complaint. Just book it! Thanks Rick, we'll see you again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank takeitallin14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Thai first
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Thanks Ric Zuniga, what a great B & B, what hospitality and what great food and last but not least a wonderful personally guided tour by Ric. And then to find out we were neighbors in Hayward/Castro Valley in California. And no Ric I never gave you a ticket but I am sure you probably deserved a few. Hehe.

Dennis & Faye Janson & Barbara Chase & David

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DennisCHP
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great accommodations, amazing views, home cooked breakfast & the nicest people! If you are headed to Guanajuato, you must stay here!

The owners are amazing, and even took time to show us around town, complete with a history lesson about the revolution!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1978thetrav
Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Two old friends recently stayed for three nights at Casa Zuniga in April. Since I live in GTO, I joined them each day and was happy to see that the rooms at Casa Zuniga were still of top quality. I also ate breakfast with them one morning and it was just as great as I had remembered from my original stay last year. The hospitality shown by Rick and Carmen as well as their staff has not changed, but the reason I have written a new review of the place is because of the art that Rick has produced since last I was on the property.

He has completed the "Space Shuttle" on the roof and is working to get the proper lighting for nighttime viewing. The new "Santo Cristo" accompanies the original one he made a few Easters ago. The new Christ is spectacular. One needs to see it and discuss its unique significance with Rick. It is truly different from most of the religious art icons one encounters in Mexico.

The real show stopper, however, is the three miners coming out of the floor and climbing a metal tree trunk/ladder into the ceiling. The work is much more powerful than the "Pipila" Rick made a few years ago. The figures of the men are in motion with their heavy loads of silver ore. GTO is a town built by Indian slaves and Rick's work is a real tribute to them. You can easily imagine how the work killed them by the thousands in the mines.

There are about 15 separate pieces of art in one of the open rooms of the B&B, but other art can be found through out the place.

My friends were truly impressed and had a great time. In the future I will continue to recommend Casa Zuniga to my friends passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dduke999
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Casa Zuniga Was the close to perfect place to stay for us on a weekend visit to Gaunajuato, coming from San Miguel. It was a very comfortable luxury bus ride there and the location was excellent; right atop of the funicular. Talk about views! The view from our standard room with terrace was beyond compare. Our room was also really nice and spacious, but that best part of our stay were our delightful hosts, Rick & Carmen. Rick gave us the Royal treatment, a private tour of his incredible B & B with a narrated discussion of Gaunajuato City and it's fascinating history. Rick also gave us a personal tour of his beautiful metals sculptures and wall paintings. It was like a private art gallery tour! He made wonderful suggestions for us, and Carmen served a delious traditional Mexican breakfast. A big surprise was Rick's solar heated roof top lap pool that wasn't even listed in the amenities; I was sorry I didn't bring my swim trunks. I won' forget next time I go!

I give my highlest recommendation to Rick & Carmen & their B & B to anyone staying in Gaunajuato! It was an a delightful stay in a delightful colonial city!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrmtrock
Vancouver
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rick and his staff did a great job during my 3 night stay in the Margarita room which overlooks the city of Guanajuato. I booked this accomodation based on reviews posted here and they are accurate. The breakfast was fresh and well prepared. WiFi available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Pv_Langosta
Patzcuaro, Mexico
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We just returned from a too-short visit to Guanajuato and our stay at Casa Zúñiga was perfect. Rick is a knowledgeable and cheerful host who can direct you to the many attractions of this UNESCO World Heritage city. The location, adjacent to the very cool funicular, is ideal for those who aren't enthusiastic about climbing the 200+ stairs to get back to the hotel. Rick provides a 10-trip punch card to his guests, and has made arrangements with a nearby fenced parking lot for his guests' cars. Driving in Guanajuato is not for the faint of heart, but if you do, free parking is a real bonus.

The B&B is filled with Rick's metal sculptures, including an aircraft on the roof complete with wind sock, and he has many projects in the works that he'll be glad to show you. The entire hotel is immaculate. I wish all B&Bs had breakfasts as good as the ones at Casa Zúñiga.

We intend to return to Guanajuato and Casa Zúñiga will be our choice of accommodations.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Margarita," which has windows on 3 sides, a killer view over the city, and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple