Villa Sueno Azul
Hotels.com
$180
$168
$81
Hotel de la Paz(Guanajuato)
$56
Official Site
$127
$118
Travelocity
All reviewsyogurtcontinental breakfast was very nicehome away from homepublic spaceslovely courtyardeasy minute walkprivate terracearranging taxispleasant place to stayevery morningspanish schoolwouldn't stay anywhere elsea great staystayed for nightscristinamaliclara
Reviewed March 11, 2013

If you want to feel as if you're staying in someone's home, and are not looking for modern, sleek hotel chain-like accommodations, this is your place. I've stayed here twice, once for pleasure and once for work. Rooms are comfortable and fairly spacious, even if the bathrooms may not be. The place is located about a 10 minute walk to Teatro Juarez, which is great for getting to know the city. Breakfast is just continental, but if you want something hot, you can ask for it the day before and pay an extra fee. Personally, I prefer the light breakfast and having something more substantial in one of the city's wonderful restaurants later in the day. Prices are extremely reasonable.

On the last stay, my colleagues where staying in three other rooms, and I understand that some rooms may have differences (problems with hot water, or weak wi-fi). I think I stayed in Gladiola (upstairs and the last one at the end of the hall) and I was 100% happy with my stay. My wifi was fine and I had plenty of hot water. I still used my ear plugs even though I was in a quieter room off the street as I am a light sleeper and little street noises bug me, and there are plenty in Mexico.

I love the terrace on the second floor - great place to have a cigar!

Close by (maybe 10 metres) from the B%B in the evenings is a taco stand called "Chino's" - worth a visit for a snack for sure. Small little taco place, but really funny guys running it.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a small bathroom, the room on the second floor at the end of the hall is spacious and offers a little terrace overlooking the breakfast space. It is also quieter since it is away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had the budget rooms facing the street, which were not as noisy as one might expect, as the traffic lessens by about 10 p.m, and the wooden shutters block out most of the noise and light. The beds were comfortable, but I did not like the tan/khakish colored sheets - even tho I'm sure they were clean, they just don't LOOK clean, like white sheets do. Also, have mixed feelings about the jug of filtered water in the rooms - unlike most hotels, this one does not provide a free bottle of water. I like having a bottle that I know is all mine, rather than a jug & glass, but on the other hand, it does save plastic and is better environmentally. Bathroom very small, but clean and served the purpose. My friend in next room took a shower in late evening and had luke-warm water, but mine was hot in the morning. Good location, only a 10 min walk to most attractions, felt safe, and staff helpful. Breakfast was average. Peaceful, pleasant common spaces to read, chat with other guests, watch t.v. etc.- nice homey atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
OwnerManager88, Owner at Villa Sueno Azul, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

You are right. One of the things we tried to do was to minimize the waste of plastic by providing glasses and a covered jug in each room for purified drinking water (since we provide unlimited purified drinking water for our guests). However, we understand sometimes a plastic bottle is more convenient. From now on we will put bottled water in addition to the glasses and jug.

On the other hand, we wish we had known about the warm-water in the shower of one of the rooms so that we could have addressed the problem on the spot. Unfortunately, we did not know about it until now. We just want you know that we truly appreciate your comments because that is what allows us to do a better job.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent 5 nights in the Gladiola Room in January. The entire facility is neat, clean, well appointed, and has lots of nice decor touches. There is attention to detail not seen in some of our other recent stops. The Gladiola Room was nice as well. Comfortable bed. As indicated by others, it has a small balcony and is near the back of the facility, which cuts down on street noise. The shower is a bit cramped but functional. The only real complaint with the room was I could not get wi-fi on any of the three devices we had with us. Great reception up front (where the router was), but it was weak to non-existent toward the back of the facility. Mali was a great hostess. She made excellent recommendations for sight-seeing and restaurants and helped us with a variety of questions that arose (e.g., laundry). The location, on the edge of the centro area, was fine, though I began to grow weary of navigating the crowded and narrow sidewalks after a few days.

Room Tip: 1) I think I'd be concerned about street noise in the front rooms (both pedestrians and traffic). 2) If wi-fi is important, be sure to check reception before settling in.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know about the WI-FI coverage. In the past we had our internet provider look at the problem and thought the problem was fixed because we were getting a strong signal throughout the B & B for a while. To address the problem we are talking to an American IT consultant and hope to resolve the issue pretty soon. We appreciate your comments and hope you can visit us again in the future.

p.s. The rooms facing the street are less expensive due to possible noise, since different people have different tolerance to noise in the city.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we spent 5 nights here in late October during Cervantino. located is perfect! close enough to walk anywhere and just far enough away from the maddening crowd. mali was the perfect hostess and could not do enough for us. we stayed in the gladiola room - spacious and with a balcony overlooking the "atrium". perfect spot for a morning cup of coffee or a an evening glass of wine. the "continental" breakfast is more than ample, but one morning I just had to have the chiliquiles and they were the best I ever had!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I spent two nights in the Gladiola room with it's private little balcony, perfect for reading while it rained. Diane went well beyond my expectations helping me receive and send papers for an unexpected real estate deal in Canada, it seems to me it's when you need something a little "extra" that you find out the true willingness of someone, or a business to be helpful. Thank you Diane.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo