“DO NOT use hotel ATM” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Camino Real Guanajuato

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Camino Real Guanajuato
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Chapel Hill, NC
“DO NOT use hotel ATM”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed in this hotel as part of large conference and every colleague who used the ATM in the hotel lobby had money go missing from their accounts within 48 hours. They reported to the hotel who said the ATM was not theirs and refused to do anything. After guests insisted, hotel staff put an out of order sign on the machine. Four hours later the sign was removed. Some colleagues reported to local police who informed them the ATM was indeed property of the hotel. The experience left a very bad taste for all participants, especially those who lost hundreds of dollars because of the ATM fraud.
My room was TINY but well kept.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank alself

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

I was here with my spouse who was invited to attend a dental conference. We were in room #1009, a beautiful suite with a king size bed and large sitting area. Robes and slippers were available. This room was near the lobby, not in the high rise area, so we had to climb several stairs. The staff was wonderful and the food was delicious. As an American, I found the restaurant had exceptional US dishes/menu selections. The breakfast buffet was especially good and I loved the Dannon yogurt in apple flavor. The chicken salad at lunch was delicious. I never saw a vending machine. The bellman delivered and picked up our luggage quickly. Most of the restaurant waiters did not understand English, but that was my fault, for not remembering my basic spanish words. The grounds were mainucured and the staff was constantly painting and sweeping. Purified water was available. We felt safe here, but never left the property without our private guides. The airport in Leon is about 40 minutes away. Eat before you go, very little food is offered at the small/fairly new airport.. If you can stomach it, go to the local mummy museum for a bizarre experience! If you visit this area in February, bring a jacket...it was very chilly at night and additonal clothing is needed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Isky
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

spent a weekend at the hotel, built into an old hacienda, nice setting, but rooms in the main (modern built) block (as most of the rooms) are a bit small, and what is not good, no opening window, no balcony (only ground floor have a terace), no coffee free of charge, no outdoor restaurant or bar, a bit a pity in the pleasant climate in Guanajuato, swimming pool is just a pond, bed comforable, room was quiet, quite near centre (about 10 min with taxis) not bad in total, is convenient, but lacks a bit of atmoshpere one could expect in the marvelous town of Guanajuato.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Frequentvoyager
Guadalajara, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

My husband and I decided to go to Guanajuato after visiting San Miguel de Allende. And what a dissapointment!!!! After staying at a wonderful hotel (Antigua Capilla) with exceptional service, we encountered the front desk ladies at the Camino Real...Beware of JULIANNA...she can be pretty annoying and lacking any training at customer service...

I made my reservations through Bestday.com on September and requested a king size bed...when we got the hotel JULIANNA told me she didn't have king size beds and the hotel was too full to help me out....Probably it was a mistake from the travel agency, but this girl has NO clue on dealing with customers, she even rolled up her eyes at me when I asked her what could she do to help us out....

There were also a lot of kids running around, yelling and making noise through the aisles...The acoustic is terrible, and door seem to be made of paper since you can hear what the people at the aisle are talking...

The beds are TOO soft...´We were there just a week ago and my husband's back is still hurting... It so funny most people complaint (at mexican hotels) is the hardess of the matresses...well, this is not the case...

Walking distance to downtown is around 25-30 min..or a 10 min taxi ride

On the bright side the hotel has beautiful gardens ... :)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank latrevi05
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

The hotel in general was very nice. The location was not that bad as the downtown area was about 10minutes away via taxi. Walking distance was about 30 minutes away. What was very bad was the bar service, I went to their bar one night to see how the environment was. There was only one person sitting at the bar so I figured I would have full attention service. Nope it took them like 5minutes to get to my table, it took another 15 to 20 minutes to get my drink. While looking over at the bar I seen two Bartenders working but the service was sloooooowww. When I asked for the check, that took another 10 minutes and after another 15 minutes they never picked up the check, I had to walk up to the bar and pay. So one drink that I drank took 10minutes but the service overall took about 45 minutes of my life. Other than that the hotel was nice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank enriqueg2k
Mexico City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

The hotel is nice and clean, the room is ok but the bathroom, it's small and not very comfortable.

The only real issue that i had, is that since the holidays just started, we had some neighbours with kids and they were shouting and running, both early or late...the walls should be thicker because at some point the kids yelling was drilling my brain...

If your room is away from the kids, the hotel is a great choice, since it's close from most of the points of interest of the city.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChristianIsl
san diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

When we first arrived we were given a room right next to the elevator which was being repaired...Oh No! We were moved and then told we would be moved again... Oh No! We came to stay for 9 days and we were not going to pack and unpack... We kept the room.
You cannot get wireless connection in your room so you had to walk down to the lobby.
The acoustics in this hotel are so bad. You could hear people ALL night long talking and slamming doors. The first night there was a confernce down the hall with a man speaking on a microphone... that was the easy part...when he finished everyone about 100 people started talking. The last night and every night we were there (which began in the middle of the week), we were awakened by loud voices all night long.
We thought that may be during the day we could make up for lost sleep...no way...there was construction right down the hall.
There were some good things...great showerhead and the bell-men were wonderful. Food was also good. Would we go back? Never. A nice door to the patio but no window to open at night and, worst of all, they charged for the coffee in the room - $2.50 (U.S.).
We fled to the Best Western in San Miguel de Allende - so far so good; nice room, free breakfast, close to the center of town.

• Liked — the bell men
  • Disliked — too expensive and too noisey ...we could not sleep
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mimisandiego

Travelers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels