“Beautifull hotel, but needs better service”

Camino Real Guanajuato
Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed November 23, 2013

It's a beautyfull hotel just a few block away from the center were all the glory of Guanajuato is. The problem with the hotel is that it needs to be cleaner, our room was full of dust and it didn't look clean at all, the front desk lost my reservation but they still gave me a room protected with a credit card, if I did not have a credit card I would've end up looking for an hotel. There's plenty of taxi services outside the hotel which only charge about $3 Dllrs to take to downtown.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesus O, Manager at Camino Real Guanajuato, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thanks to taking the time to share your experience with us.

For Camino Real Guanajuato es really important your comments and we will working in all the matters.

Tanks again we hope to see you in the future

Reviewed November 8, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Extremely expensive in idiotic issues. Parking costs, should not. Internet service is lame. The is a store inside the hotel, pray you will not need anything from it, its always closed. Restaurant service is s l o w. too bad to recomend. Below-Camino Real standards.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a great time when stayed at this hotel but there were some flaws that made our stay not so great. the last day the floor ran out of hot water which we reported around 7 pm. they said they would get it fixed asap but in the morning around 6 am when we woke up it was still not working. We had to take a shower with a wet towel it was so frustrating.

Room Tip: The rooms on the tower are really nice
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Adrian M
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights last week on a business trip and the hotel was poor. It is in an interesting building but the staff and facilities were not up to par. On checking in my key did not work in the room I was given - a bellman came to help and it turned out that the room was already occupied. I was given a new room but still problems existed. The hot water was poor to non existant - not only for me but others in my group also had cold showers. There were delays in checking in, for some reason it was very hard to charge meals and no one spoke very good English. Not what I expected for a business hotel in Mexico. Beautiful facility but poor service overall.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The former hazienda, remodeled into a large hotel- and convention-complex, has - no conventions going on - more employees (and especially 'supervisors', preferring to flirt with the staff...) than guests. But during conventions, the individual guest is not estimated at all.
At our arrival, the reception-staff didn't talk english and treated us very unprofessional, also my wife being mexican; e.g. they wanted to give us a small, badly located room instead of the reserved deluxe, wifi costs additional etc. They couldn't and weren't willing to give any restaurant advice - although the only food you can get, is in a cafeteria like 'restaurant' at this hotel. At least one of the bellboys gave us some excellent insider-tipps. We never would return to this place - and we saw very nicer hotels in Guanajuato. Sorry.

Room Tip: don't go at all to this place - or only if you want to spend your money in without proper value.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Consider this hotel a wannabe Westin. It has two fails. 1-service, 2-facility condition. This hotel that aspires to be four-star, but doesn't quite make it. The hotel grounds are attractive and beautiful. It's not in the central area, but is about a 15-20 minute walk if you don't get lost. It makes the hotel very quiet and peaceful. The design of the rooms, including furniture, bedding, etc., is all slated to an international standard and appeal. The service and staff training doesn't pass.

I spoke to two different front desk staff (both of whom spoke English) and they both mis-directed me to on-site ATM. Finally a bellhop (w/NO English but excellent customer service instincts) escorted me to the ATM which was RIGHT AT HOTEL MAIN ENTRY. Yes, I am a moron for missing it, but in my defense I was always in a vehicle. So hotel gets a plus for ATM accessibility! Minus for the front desk staff being unable to help me whatsoever. There were a few other incidents over a 2-night stay, which showed me that the staff needed additional training. Please note that I do not expect them to speak English, but if staff do speak English, I expect them to be able to provide customer service at a reasonable level.

The other fail is for facility condition. The facilities seem attractive at first, but then you notice issues like the 1-inch gap around the bathroom door frame, the mildew in the shower corners, the incorrect caulking and poor construction finishing details. I can't comment on whether this is due to shoddy original construction or poor ongoing maintenance, but either way it is not up to international standard. If I was staying at a B&B or family-run pension I would not have the same expectations, but Camino Real bills itself as an international premiere brand, and the Mexico City property was wonderful. This hotel was disappointing. I would not stay here again, or recommend it until they had a little facility facelift and additional staff training.

Other plusses of note: wifi excellent (good signal strength, speed, no passwords, no device limits), pool has slide and varying depths which should be attractive for families, hotel restaurant service (at breakfast at least) was very good - sharp and attentive. AirCon worked very well for cooling, though there was a rocket-blastoff-type noise when on high.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends