“My Home Away From Home For Six Nights”

Casa de Dante Hostel
Austin, Texas
“My Home Away From Home For Six Nights”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked a room at La Casa de Dante. I stayed here for six nights and I have to say this was the BEST part of my trip! I had a truly amazing stay: Señora Irene made the best breakfasts (I miss her!), the views from my room were fantastic and Dante was very helpful in answering my questions. I am very much looking forward to my next visit in Guanajuato - I'll be staying at La Casa de Dante again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelography

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 24, 2011

My partner and I stayed here three nights and absolutely loved our experience. We shared a room with one double bed and private bath. The bed was comfortable, the decor lovely, the view of the courtyard from the window charming, and everything worked. Every morning we had fresh sheets and a new comforter on the bed, the room and bathroom were spotless, and even our laundry was collected and washed/dried (for just a small tip) on our last day! The family that runs this guesthouse makes you feel like their own. Finally, I can't say enough about Senora's cooking! I don't know if I've ever tasted such amazing food. We are both vegan, and this woman can create amazing dishes for every type of diet. We awoke to fresh fruit, salads, juice, incredible coffee, a hot entree, and bread with jam. Delicious and made with care--and the guacamole was the best I'd ever tasted.

Unlike some of the other reviews, I found the distance into town perfect. A 10 minute walk that gives you some good exercise and takes you through some lovely streets and markets before you reach the main square. While the 165 steps up to the house after a long day of sightseeing might be a turn-off to some, we both found the steps much easier to climb than we expected. They make clear that their location isn't suitable for those who cannot manage this type of uphill walk, so keep this in mind. The other thing to mention is that if you book online, note that booking a "single ensuite room" and then inputting "2 people" will actually result in a reservation for two separate ensuite rooms! It's the same price for one room with a double, so if that's what you want, be sure to specific "double ensuite room" for 2 people. Luckily, they were very accommodating and fixed the reservation mix-up with no problem.

I cannot recommend this guesthouse enough. For a unique and unforgettable experience in Guanajuato, stay here!

Room Tip: If you want one room with a double bed and you are booking online, be sure to book a "double en...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roya A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2011

La casa de Dante is a little out of the centre but not that far. Yes, there are 160 or steps to climb on your way home, but it's well worth it. The family who run the place are super welcoming and friendly, my bed was really cozy and comfy, there was free wi-fi in the room, free bottled water (and a filling station too, for your water bottle). The breakfast (included) is Mexican style and delicious. The rooftop patio/terrace has a fantastic view over the town. I wouldn't think twice about staying there again - and for the price, it's a bargain.

Room Tip: ask for one with windows (I saw one without)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank travla67
cork
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed here with 2 friends, a single and double room. The rooms were comfortable,the steps are steep, but the friendliness of Dante more than made up for that. We only planned on staying one night as we were only passing through but there was a festival on in Guanajuato so we decided to stay another night, unfortunatly we had to change rooms and share, but no problem to be found with the shared room either. Lovely place.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Honduras
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I was beyond impressed with Casa de Dante. Let's spell this out plain and clear: you're not just staying at a guesthouse, you're staying at a Deluxe homestay. Every time I went downstairs, I was offered coffee and/or food. The breakfasts were triple my normal portions...primarily because the Dona of the house wanted me to experience several different types food from different areas of Mexico. I found that this is the type of place you have trouble leaving because you feel so much at home.

Yes, there are quite a few stairs to climb up an alley, but who doesn't need a bit of exercise? Guanajuato is a walking city, anyway. All-in-all, one of the coolest places I've stayed in all of Central America. So much character!

Room Tip: Go for the single bed private room. Great view from the balcony!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is a lovely BnB with really comfortable rooms kept very clean. What really makes the difference is that the family that run it are so nice and happy to help and answer all our questions. The breakfast is amazing- real mexican breakfast and as much as you want. There is a great family atmosphere and a nice place to sit and chat with other guests.
It is not very far at all from the town but the only access is up a staircase with a few crumbling steps- maybe not ideal if you are not strong on your feet or can´t carry luggage up or down steps.
We booked the "Mexican experience" as advertised on hostel world and so got a slightly cheaper rate. We thought about booking another night but the normal rate of around $60 is way over our budget (we are backpacking) and maybe a bit steep for what you actually get. It is on hostel world but more of a guest house.

Room Tip: Just ask- they moved us to a room with a window.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deckchair26
London
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I don't have too much to add to other reviews. The Casa de Dante is a bit out from the centre and up many steep stairs, but the rooms are beautiful and very very cheap. What make this place special though is the super-friendly staff. Dante and hos mother make you feel like you are a guest in their home. I've never stayed anywhere before where I've been offered free tacos because I look hungry, or where I have gone out on a bar crawl with the owner. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo