“Wonderful hotel in an enchanting city”

Hotel Antiguo Vapor
Ranked #13 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We loved our stay in Guanajuato and it was made even better by the staff and accomodations at Antiguo Vapor. Great central location, but still quiet. Amazing view of the vibrant city. Wonderful breakfast, well appointed room and extremely clean. The staff was tremendously helpful and recommended wonderful restaurants. Guanajuato is amazingly beautiful- we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Antiguo Vapor

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Owner and staff couldn't do more to make us feel welcome. Good location - an easy walk from Jardin Union and University. Newly redone historic building. Spacious, comfortable, beautifully decorated & impeccably clean rooms. Generous continental breakfast included. We had a terrific view of the city. We stayed 6 nights, traveled around and then returned for another night. It was like coming home. This lovely family-run hotel definitely enhanced our stay in this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I chose Hotel Antiguo Vapor based on reviews here at tripadvisor, and feel that I couldn't have picked a better place. This was my first trip to Guanajuato, and the hotel was the perfect place to stay for my wife and I.

While not exactly easy to find, every aspect of this hotel exceeded my expectations. The entire staff was exceptional, the hotel location was perfect (no need to drive anywhere), and the entire hotel was spotless. Our room was under the parking area, and next to the restaurant, but absolutely quiet. The room itself was huge, very tastefully decorated, and comfortable. The owners have obviously spent money refurbishing the building, and did not cut corners - it is a piece of art in itself. Even the view of the city from the parking area is a picturesque. Everything from restaurants to shopping to cultural sights is within walking distance, and Guanajuato is the perfect city for romantic walks and exploring.

With so many great restaurants nearby, the only meal we ate at the hotel was the included continental breakfast. The dining area is an extension of the hotel - beautiful and tasteful. When we return to Guanajuato, I won't consider staying in another hotel. Antiguo Vapor is the best place I can imagine for singles or couples, and affordable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I spent hours pouring through reviews trying to find the perfect place to stay in Guanajuato and I think we found it here. We stayed 5 nights and were extremely impressed. Each room is different, but the design is really bright and beautiful. I saw several rooms and can honestly say that the decor looks straight out of a glossy magazine. We stayed in Jilgueros- which is a large, beautiful room with a stunning view of the city, and the most beautifully tiled bathroom with a tiled dome ceiling like i've never seen before. The only con of this room is that its a bit noisy at night- barking dogs and what not- but they also have plenty of quite rooms, so just ask for a room to suit your needs. (you may have to sacrifice the great view if you want a darker, quieter room, but those rooms are also quite beautiful) I saw about 6 of the rooms and they all looked spacious and inviting. I would, however, agree with one reviewer who noted that the beds are very firm, but I would argue that this is very typical for Mexican hotels, and I doubt you'd find a more comfortable one in Guanajuato (no westins or marriotts there!) The other bit of advice is that if you like ceiling fans, a few of the rooms have them- so ask for one of those.

The hotel is in itself an attraction, its an old historic house that has been renovated very stylishly. The food is great- the continental breakfast is no frills, but its worth it to pay just a few bucks more for their excellent cooked to order breakfast. We liked everything we tried, especially the eggs veracruz and the chicken enchiladas in mole.

The staff is also extraodinary- they really bend over backwards to help you. They will help you with whatever you need and will let you use their laptop as well. The location is also ideal- just a short walk away from everything. Give this place a try, its well worth what the price.

As for Guanajuato itself- by all means- spend some time in this town. We stayed 5 nights and found plenty to do. I have not been in a city of this size that is more lively or fun. You'll be content just to sit in the Jardin and listen to the great live music every night!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2008

My wife and I selected this B@B based on a recommendation by our daughter who was studying in Guanajuato in the fall of 2008. We drove a rental car up from Guadalajara (about four hours) and found the Antiguo Vapor, after an exciting circuit around glorietas (roundabouts), through tunnels, and down alarmingly narrowing alleyways following the directions on the hotel website. We made only one wrong turn, and were pretty proud of ourselves. Only visitors to this lovely city will have any idea why this is an accomplishment- there is not a right angle turn in the whole place, and you're below ground almost as much as above. The hotel is charming, immaculate, comfortable and historic. The city center is a short stroll away, via several circuitous routes. The staff (especially Pilar and Ricardo) are friendly, attentive, and willing to forego their excellent English to try and follow a visitor's terrible Spanish. The continental breakfast provided was excellent. A full, and very good, breakfast menu is also available. Our room was downstairs, with a window and balcony on the small courtyard- quiet and comfortable. Lots of hot water, and pressure. There is secure parking, and a nice terrace to sit on and enjoy a great view of the city. The Ahondriga, site of the first battle in the Mexcican war of independence is just down the street and the main market is a block and a half downhill. You'll like this place.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Arbegar
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Very friendly and personable staff. We traveled with our 2 yr old son; they went out of there way to make sure our stay was pleasant. The hotel was much better than we expected and in a great central location. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this charming hotel during the Cervantino festival. It was our first destination out of two other hotels we would be staying at during the nine day course of our honeymoon trip. I have to say, I wished I had stayed longer at this hotel, because of the charm, privacy I felt, location and reasonable price. The two other hotels we stayed at were: Villa Maria Cristina and Casa Estrella de la Valenciana.
When we first arrived we were helped with our heavy suitcases and bags. It was nice to have them help us down the steps with our luggage, we were tired, they did not accept our tips for them helping us with all of our luggage??
Pilar, the owner, a very sweet and classy woman immediately asked us what kind of wine we would like since we were on our honeymoon. The wine was a delicious Cabarnet! She had red roses for us in the room as well, a very sweet gesture.
Getting to our room we walked down some steps passing a cozy resting room, with couch and old fashioned sewing machine as decoration, then passed the beautiful courtyard with plants and stone walls.
We stayed in the Codornices room with balcony overlooking the courtyard. It was huge, very clean and traditional Mexican style, with armoir and safe inside, t.v, little vanity table with mirror above. I loved it. The bed was King size--huge and perfectly firm, but not too hard for me at all. I am a yogi and prefer more firm beds, they are better for your back. It wasn't like laying on a table at all, like someone had previously written.
I loved how dark the room was when waking up, we had the wooden doors on the windows closed at night so when we woke up we didn't know what time it was. Perfect, when you have a little jet lag!
The bathroom was spacious, two sinks, mexican tiles, a large shower, and sky window.

Overall I have to say that I loved this hotel for it's charm, cleanliness, friendly owners, staff AND location. Being centrally located, it was nice not having to find a cab to get back to the hotel.
This is the one hotel I will stay at again if I go back to Guanajuato...

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travlerluver