“Quaint + good food ”

La Taberna de Diego y Frida
Ranked #11 of 327 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In our dishes coexist tradition and contemporary. Our goal is to generate unique flavors, appealing to memory, but also to the extraordinary variety of dishes that make our kitchen.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had a lovely dinner at this restaurant. My capreese salad was very flavorful. My husband had the cowboy steak that was good. My mojito cocktail was exceptionally good.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (391)

Reviewed April 25, 2019 via mobile

I, like others below, it seems, was tricked into coming here by glowing TripAdvisor ratings. Trouble is, on closer inspection many of the favourable ratings are rather elderly. Something seems to have gone astray with TripAdvisor's algorithm here - I probably walked past 7 better places to eat on my way here, never mind the rest of Guanajuato.

I will say on the positive side to kick things off, that the waiter was fantastic and the service incredibly friendly. The spicy salsa that came with the bread had a kick and was actually the highlight of the meal.

My starter was a tapas plate that qas not what I was expecting at all - sort of a grilled cheese sandwich with tapanade, some meat and pesto on top. Not amazing but not unpleasant though. Sadly the accompanying wine was mediocre if I'm being generous. Then, the main course was a total disaster. Somewhat against my better judgement, I ordered steak and prawns which came with a pasta side, and some seasonal vegetables. The pasta turned out to bs lukewarm - I was the only customer here so clearly the only explanation for this is that it was reheated (badly) and not cooked fresh. This is unacceptable. I sent the plate back but had it returned in essentially identical condition a few minutes later. Suffice to say I did not eat the pasta. Meat was cooked OK. The side dish of vegetables was horribly overseasoned and far too salty.

The waiter was incredibly apologetic and offered a free dessert or drink but I was done at this point. Instead they took 50% off the price of the main course which was an appreciated gesture but really didn't undo what was not a nice meal in any way, save the service.

I went and had dessert elsewhere to cheer myself up. There are lots of great restaurants in Guanajuato, but this isn't one.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Jeggles88
Reviewed February 8, 2019 via mobile

I went with some friends there for diner and honestly i was really satisfied. Nice local the food was just perfect we ordered almost everything they have and it was all delicious. Even the deserts were nice. I really recommend this restaurant without any doubt !

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank fatimazahra30
Reviewed February 1, 2019 via mobile

Loved the food and atmosphere! Would love to go back soon! We had dinner here on our first night in town and nothing else compared!

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 5, 2019 via mobile

Guanajuato is a special city which combines an authentic Spanish style. This city offers thousand of activities that anybody can enjoy. One of this activities that I totally recommend is coming to "La taberna de Diego y Frida". I think is the best restaurant of Guanajuato. You can order either international food. Also, the restaurant is characterized for preparing Mexican cuisine. When I visited, this lovely restaurant, I had the chance of ordering a delicious grilled octopus with stir vegetables. My first option was a Mediterranean pasta is called "Mar de los recuerdos". Furthermore, I ordered, two generous meat dishes which were cowboy steak and sirloin steak. At the end, I suggest ordering the dessert called, dark chocolate cake which had smooth Mexican cocoa flavor. Also, if you are fan of drinking a good cup of wine you should ask for the wine that the restaurant offers. The service is completely well the restaurant staff speaks Spanish and English.

If I have another opportunity come to Guadalajara I don't doubt visiting "La taberna de Diego y Frida"

Date of visit: January 2019