“Very disappointing”

La Taberna de Diego y Frida
Ranked #11 of 327 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In our dishes coexist tradition and contemporary. Our goal is to generate unique flavors, appealing to memory, but also to the extraordinary variety of dishes that make our kitchen.
Reviewed January 4, 2019

We chose this restaurant after reading reviews on both trip advisor and Facebook so we arrived with high expectations. We ordered margaritas as cocktails tasted like lemonade or a soft drink. My partner ordered an appetizer I just chose a main course. After a reasonable wait 2 main courses arrived. I asked the waiter what happened to the appetizer he just looked at me with a blank face and said we didn't order anything else but that he could bring it now. Really, why would I want an appetizer when my main is in from of me. My partner had ordered a seafood pasta dish it was just ok. My fish of the day order came with no sides. Usually when that is the case you are asked if you want a side not in this case. My fish was beautifully presented on the plate but very salty. I did not finish it. I advised the waiter to notify the chef of my complaint. There was no comment or apology. In conclusion it was a very disappointing experience.

Date of visit: January 2019
Write a reviewReviews (391)

Reviewed December 17, 2018

We were excited to take our friends there as we had such a great time last year. This year we were let down. My fiends love wine and even though they have wine, they really did not have anyone who knew what wines from where and could not describe them. The staff was young so we did not expect much, but the owner should know his wines. Anyway we did not like the first one as it was like a port, we said we would pay and ordered two more bottles. We did not ask price but were charged at probably the high end of the spectrum, so be it.

We ordered some great apps, the spanish sausage was really good, as was the baked cheese. The caprese salad was the best app though. The octopus was a bit hard. and the clam that came with the octopus was really bad, I was worried that would come back to haunt me.

The main issue was the entres. One ordered the seafood pasta, and I had the pasta and beef filet. We were the only 4 people in the entire restaurant and all entres, including the fish my wife ordered came out at room tempurature. We asked them to be heated up, and they came out cold again. My buddy sent his back again, and this time it came out with a slight touch of steam but still not hot. The fish was room temp, and maybe 2-3 ounces of fish tops. The final was the Cesar salad which was really good.

I love the restaurant, the menu is good, but man delivery is just not there. Servers were young and really tried hard, this place is close to being tops, but Mestizo blows this place away, half the price, and is just down the street. I really want this place to be good, 3 stars is generous considering the prices.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed October 26, 2018

Dungeon like ordeal with bad service and worse food, looks nice from the outside but best avoided. We were a party of four and all the dishes arrived at different times so that the last unforunate one of us had to watch the others eat and then we waited whilest she ate her gruel, wish we had gone to Tulum (just opposite), we ate here after visiting the Rivera museum and unfortunately it spoiled the experience.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Calm and comforting place with friendly staff. I would recommend this place anytime of day or for any quick stop in Guanajuato.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

When there with a party of 5, we enjoyed several entrées and shared paella. Everything was really good. Our favorites where the paella, provolone and the tapas.

We would definitely return on our next visit to Guanajuato.

The chocolate cake was average and the chocoflan was really good.

Date of visit: July 2018