“Mestizo Chef is a real surprise”
Review of Mestizo

Mestizo
Ranked #3 of 245 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico
“Mestizo Chef is a real surprise”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have enjoyed many good meals since arriving in Guanajuato, but today's lunch was extra special. Our condo has a list of restaurants that the owner feels are worthy of patronage by his guests. We wrote them down upon arriving and have been working our way through them ever since. Mestizo was characterized as having wonderful food, but was on the second page so it has taken us some time to get to it. We stopped in after our visit to the Diego Rivera Museum. They didn't, however, open until 14:00, so we had a coffee in a delightful shop (not on the list) down the street. When we finally got back, we found the food to be AMAZING! It was so good, that my wife thought we must have a photo of the female (very unusual in this male dominated country) chef. Here she is outside her closet-sized kitchen.

• Visited June 2013

Davis, CA
“Quiet and classy”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Interesting menue. Had an excellent entree with pork and pineapple and onions, beautifully served. Good Chilean wine. Took awhile, but probably because food was prepared to order. Quiet location, very nice artifacts and art. Dining area broken up into small intimate spaces.

Visited June 2013
Guanajuato, Mexico
“A little hidden corner in GTO.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Xavier offers less dishes for a reason - he keeps his business small, inexpensive and very high quality. I've gone many times with friends, my parents, and my girlfriend and we've always enjoyed our meals there. Try it if you want a gourmet meal for less!

Visited January 2013
Paris, France
“Excellent food”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have dined at this place many times. The food is excellent and the chef is the son of one of Guanajuato's most important artist, Capelo. The father also runs the museum of Modern Art, also in the same street and maybe 10 doors down. My only problem with this restaurant is that the food when the chef is present can be quite different from the food when he is not in the restaurant. This can be a bit aggravating. The decor of the place is subdued and sophisticated. No false pretensions, but at the same time quite elegant. On the walls of the restaurant hang some of the paintings of Capelo. You will not go wrong dining at this place, especially if you are used to the fine dining scene of places like Paris, New York, or Rome.

• Visited April 2013
Mexico City
“Fresh and interesting food”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a nice small restaurant set on the second floor of a traditional house. The interior (the colors, the floors, the layout) made me remember of my grand mother’s house in Mexico City. The rooms are decorated with paintings and ceramic pieces to create an interesting ambiance of traditional mexican home mixed with contemporary and traditional art.

The food was a very pleasant surprise. The salmon carpaccio was delicious, very fresh and with a touch of nuts and some kind of cheese I cannot put my finger on which was it but made a perfect combination. The fish ceviche with pineapple was also very good. The dishes are not traditional food but they aren’t extravagant either. I think they hit a good spot making traditional dishes with a little twist and better presentation and flavor.

Mestizo offers a very decent meal for a good price. I would like to have something like this near home. Definitely worth a try. I would certainly go back.

• Visited March 2013