“Best meal in Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mestizo

Mestizo
Ranked #3 of 237 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Guanajuato, Mexico
“Best meal in Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I can't say enough about this wonderful dining experience. We had the ceviche and Tortillia soup for applies. Both delicious, fresh and the flavour divine. For entres we had the fish with mango sauce and the fish with peanuts lime, butter olive oil served with vegetables. The presentation artful, the use of fresh herbs delicate and delicious. There were four of us and we tried three of the deserts all beyond our expectations. The lemon mousse, the chocolate cake and the ice cream with brandy and fruit. We're just wonderful. The meal was light and flavourful, allowing us room for desert. The chef spoke excellent Engish and personally came to our table to explain the dishes. I asked for tea at the end and instead they made me a fresh infusion of herbs that was soothing and delicious. $30:00 per person including a drink and all that food. Amazing!

• Visited February 2013

Colorado
“Ok but nothing to rave about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

It is a pretty reseraunt but I wasnt impressed. First of all the waiter was extremely unfriendly and snooty. I ordered the ginger salmon(125 pesos), recommended by some on tripadvisor, and I had to send it back as it was totally undercooked (raw in the center) and it was extremely small and a few potatoes with it. I knew I would still be hungry if this is all I ate. So I ordered the tortilla soup which came in a beautiful ceramic bowl and was quite tasty and filling and for only 35 pesos. If you must eat here I would recommend just getting tortilla soup and maybe a salad and skip the entree or be prepared for a small piece of salmon if you order that. But the salmon was good after it was cooked some more. It was a pleasant enough meal just not amazing.

• Visited January 2013
Canada
“Good little place - affordable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I visited given the reviews on TripAdvisor, but I was a little disappointed as it was getting rave reviews. I had the ceviche - I liked that were are nice big chunks of fish, but the flavours were not well balanced. It was a little too acidic, and although I know that the fish is "cooked" in the lime juice, I've had better balanced ceviches. At least the raw red onion should have been soaked in salt water to get rid of the strong raw sulphite flavour.

The cream soup of the day was onion - it was a little plain and did not have body, but was well seasoned.

As for the main - the pork with artichoke hearts... the jamaica reduction was beautiful and worked well with the dish, but the artichoke hearts were not fresh, but from a can.

Perhaps I ordered the wrong dishes to be wowed. I would try the place again just to be sure. The actual ambiance is quite lovely though.

• Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Jewel of a restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Best restaurant I ate at during my 4-day stay in Guanajuato. Besides a lovely, intimate and charming restaurant, it's also an art gallery featuring many dazzling and intriguing works mounted on the walls. If you're tiring of the usual Mexican fare (enchiladas, quesadillas, tacos, chile rellenos), this is the place to check out. Lovingly and expertly prepared modern, continental cuisine. I started with a deliciously appetizing fresh spinach salad with goat cheese, walnuts and peaches, followed by a grilled pork loin with artichokes accompanied by sauteed vegetables beautifully presented. There's a decent wine list as well (not often available in Mexican restaurants). The apple tart a la mode was excellent and very generous in size. Coffee was great! Very highly recommended.

Visited December 2012
Guanajuato, Mexico
“Great food and beautiful ceramics.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I think this is the best reasonably priced restaurant in Guanajuato. The salmon and bass dishes are cooked perfectly. Great mojitos, salads, and desserts, too. As you eat you are surrounded by beautiful ceramics by Capelo. Compared to other restaurants in this price range (main courses are priced $80-$125 pesos) this is your best choice.

• Visited November 2012