“Unbelievable View of Mexico!!”

Santuario de Cristo Rey
Ranked #9 of 79 things to do in Guanajuato
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on a nearly 3,000-foot mountain called Cerro del Cubilete, this huge statue of Jesus is one of the largest in the world.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The short ride from Guanajuato to this pilgrimage site puts you smack dab in the geographic (so it is said) center of Mexico over 8,000 feet above sea level. (Bring a jacket - it is cold and windy that high up). The views are awe-inspiring. One of those few moments in your life when you will be speechless by what your eyes are showing you.

1  Thank washwestcc
"gto"
"vendors"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I loved the place. Definitely something worth watching for anyone that wants to feel the energy there.

1  Thank Onnan
Reviewed May 18, 2012

a bit of a journey up the mountain for this one, but the view is remarkable and quite spiritual

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've done this twice but I love it. What's even better is stopping at Dona Carmella's outdoor roadside restaurant where Carmella cooks on a real woodburning stove which makes the food even more"sabroso!"

See more reviews
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I visited El Cerro with my nice and friends on the last day we where in Guanajuato. "I had to see him" I told them. We were so busy during the trip to see the POPE that we ran out of time, but I asked the taxi driver to take us there before he dropped us off to the airport. He was very nice and waited for us while we toked pictures. I was so amazed and happy to be right in front of the statue: The impressive and beautiful Christ opening his arms. It was a blessing to me, because we got there right when the mass going on. At the end of it, father blessed people and religious articles. It was an overwhelming experience. The crown all around inside the circled chapel is the most amazing pice of art I have ever seen. I'm running out of word to express myself. You must visit monument to understand what I mean.

1  Thank Yospring