“great location but not 4 star”
Review of Luna Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guanajuato
Luna Hotel
Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Guanajuato
Houston
“great location but not 4 star”
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I am currently staying at this hotel, great location - but do not expect 4 star luxury. The hotel in my opinion, is located in Guanajuato´s best plaza. The hotel rooms are well furnished, however, the beds are less than soft. Also, you will notice that the TVs do not have cable, and only recieve four channels, however other hotels (like Hotel Santa Fe) do have cable. The restaurant downstairs has a breakfast that is included with the price of the room, but leaves something to be desired. The service and staff are very friendly and eager to help. Guanajuato is a great historical city to visit - I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no cable, hard beds
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank ika43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
chicago
Reviewed June 22, 2007

Hotel Luna is at the Jardin Union, the city center of Guanajuato. You are right in the middle of many restaurants, street vendors, Teatro Juarez, etc. It's a beautiful location, full of eneregy.

We requested an exterior room. The room was nicely decorated, firm bed(like all of Mexico), with two French doors that open to very small outside terrace. Bathroom was small, with shower, but clean and adequate. Housekeeping did a good job, left us two bottles of water everyday. The mornings were great, when we woke up to the town's noises. The view and the sunshine were very nice. Afternoon to evening, you'll can see and hear Mariachi bands playing loudly by the cafes. You can always stay in an interior room, but the atmosphere will be very different.

Hotel staff was courteous and helpful. Victor's English is superb, but everyone speaks some English and can help you line up anything you need. One night, when I absolutely couldn't stand the music anymore, I requested to switch rooms and they were happy to oblige, showing me two rooms to choose from.

Breakfast is included in the hotel cost, that makes things easier in the morning. The selections were good: omelet, huevos ranchero, yougurt with fruit and granola, steak with rachero sauce, plus a coupel more. Always served with juice and coffee.

• Liked — location in the city
  • Disliked — noise level at night
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kngChicago
Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Hotel Luna is in the Jardin, so the location can't be beat. I requested a back room, and noise was not a problem. The service was very good. Any questions that I had were answered immediately, and twice when I asked for directions, the staff walked me to the place rather than telling me where it was. I didn't care for the breakfast, but it was included with the price of the room. As for the room, it was very basic, and the bathroom was quite small. The bed was not particularly comfortable, but I've slept in far worse. Overall it was an okay stay, but you're definitely paying for location.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Gajat
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 15, 2007

The Luna is a bit of a splurge, by Mexico standards, but it's worth it. It's a beautiful old building right on the Jardin de Union. The service is wonderful. The restaurant is good. (The room comes with breakfast.) There is free wireless internet (the best connection I had in Mexico). My only complaint is that they don't like to give receipts when you pay in cash.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MSPXelaforNow
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I am Latin American, live in the US, and we have traveled a lot in México. This was our first visit to Guanajuato, and we had a great time. We just came back this week from our stay at the Hotel Luna during Semana Santa. We arrived very early in the morning, and they let us check in hours ahead of time.

It was comfortable and clean. The staff was professional and attentive. The room was airy, and we had a great view of el Jardín Unión -it's very noisy, but we loved it.

We found the food and service in the restaurant to be excellent, especially la sopa poblana. The breakfast that was included was very good, and there were many options. Their café was a great place to read, have a drink, people watch and listen to the mariachis.

Our bathroom was very small, but clean. Our bed was very comfortable, and the big armchairs were perfect for reading. We will definitely return to Hotel Luna.

• Liked — Location and service.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vamador
Raleigh, N.C.
Reviewed April 1, 2007

From the moment my wife and I arrived at Hotel Luna we felt right at home. We were immediately welcomed at the front desk and taken to our
room (front, exterior, w/ balcony). It is a beautiful, old, Mexican hotel with two floors, an open atrium suported by columns, and a large chandelier. Our room had a high ceiling with decorative molding, hardwood floor, and a chandelier. When we opened the two balcony doors, the atmosphere was pure Mexico. From the cafes below we could hear the mariachis playing, and the people enjoying themselves at the "Jardin". When we checked in, we were told that there would be music playing until after midnight out front. We appreciated the "warning" but we really enjoyed listening. I hardly used my I-pod the whole week. The music was usually over by 12:30 - 1:00, and we are not early to bed types. There are quiet rooms in the backside of the hotel. The bathroom was a good size with talavera
tiles covering the walls. No tub, but a large walk-in shower. The room had a TV and telephone, but we didn't use either. I must say the beds are firm to hard, and me being 6'4" they were a little short for me. We found the restaurant to be good. A full breakfast is included with the room, and there are 7 choices including vegetarian. It was nice to start the day having a good breakfast at the outdoor tables with the locals walking by. Being able to walk out the front door of the hotel and be right in the center of activity in Guanajuato was the best! A 10% discount on the room is given when paying in cash. We found Victor and George, at the front desk, to be two of our favorites at the hotel. Victor spoke perfect english and was very knowledgeable about the town. George went out of his way to make sure we had a good stay. We would definately recomend the Hotel Luna to our best friends.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GEOJ
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Walked in from another hotel at which I stayed the day before and stayed 3 nights. They are offering a 10 % discount if you pay cash. Better write it down to be on the safe side at check out. Never keep an open tab for food and drinks because at check out you will not see any receipts you signed but only adding machine tape.
When you check out they give you the bill with a figure on a sheet of paper and adding machine tape. And you better watch out even with the adding machine tape figures they were going to over charge me by 400 pesos. It took me 10 minutes to figure it out. and I speak good mexican. You make a call pay right away, later they charge you doppel the minutes. What else is new in Mexico, in no other latin country do they dry to cheat you like in Mexico. Just came back from South America, no problem anywere.
The hotel restaurant is lousy, they cant even make scrambled eggs,
Most all restaurants charge close to the same price in town.
I found the best food with the best service in the big restaurant across the park on the corner opposit the theater. Think Valdez was the name.

Another thing, if you take a tour there might be 8 foreigners in the bus and 2 mexicans ( with the tour company oposit the tourist office) but the guide cant speak a word of english.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007