“Great location...not fancy, but okay for one night”
Review of Luna Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guanajuato
Luna Hotel
Ranked #48 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed March 31, 2008

The Luna Hotel is in a great location. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are clean. This hotel is old and the music from the square is loud. The beds are hard and the sheets are thin, but so are other ones in Mexico. Is this the fanciest hotel? No, but it is nice enough. I would recommend this to students who came to party or someone who is spending only one night in Guanajuato. I would not recommend this to travelers looking for luxury.

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed March 20, 2008

Guanajuato was amazing, this hut called hotel not.
The so-called vintage rooms are just fake, but I don't mind! Cheap furniture is common in bad hotels.
Hair in the shower --I am bald.
Stained sheets, no bulbs, mistaken phone calls in the middle of the night... all of this reported to the front desk but it was ALWAYS someone else's responsibility or just had no answers.
A bug in breakfast... IN THE PLATE! Of course I refused to pay or even have a new dish, but then intended to charge, anyways...
When I decided to leave...Voila! Phone calls charged to my room. Another fight with the 'manager' who couldn't speak English. Then the owner, a total... incompetent who claims being 'influential' locally... nevermind!
I moved to a wonderful, classy hotel on Embajadoras to enjoy this magnificient mining town. The total opposite.
Please, make sure you got an experienced travel agent before you make a decision, this mistaken recommendations can ruin you vacation.
Luna means 'moon' in English, that's where these... gentlemen belong.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Journalist-on-duty
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This place is actually in the heart of the city (Jardin) so you have to expect some noise, and if thats a problem you can easily request a back room, which i did and they gladly accomadeted me. The service was awesome and the food was the best in GTO. As far as thefts (previous post claims) i NEVER had any problem like that and i left money/change on the counter all the time.

If you do "live it up" like youre supposed to in GTO, by that i mean Eating and Drinking and Dancing, the bed should not and did not matter to me AT ALL. We had a blast and would never stay anywhere else then Hotel Luna!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I read other reviews before making our reserve there and after staying there I noticed that some bad reviews doesn’t pay attention to a couple of BIG issues.

First: keep in mind that Guanajuato is not a “normal” city.
(Try to look on the photographs available in flickr or any other website to notice how Guanajuato is like, Google Earth doesn’t gives a good satellite image of the whole city at the moment).
The city is built on a very hilly ground so in some places it has pedestrian streets where you’ll have to climb a little.
During the years they have built a network of underground tunnels in order to keep most cars away from the historical center and the streets on the surface are narrow so your taxi will not reach the Hotel entrance or you won’t be able to park your car in front of the Hotel.
Also if you travel in your car is very easy to get lost in the tunnels trying to get the Alonso parking lot.
On the other hand the good thing is the Hotel staff is very aware of this whole situation and if you take a couple of minutes to send them an e-mail and asking for advice they will give you a big hand and you won’t get lost.
The good thing about this is you won’t hear any car/bus noises from your room and you’ll walk the downtown streets with no heavy car traffic.

Second: location.
I think the best way to know a city is by walking it, and in Guanajuato you won’t need a car or bus if you stay at the Luna Hotel.
Some walk distances to “must-see” places in the historical district: Templo San Diego and Teatro Juarez (one minute), La Paz square (three minutes), La Compania temple and Guanajuato University or Pipila (five minutes), Diego Rivera house and Plaza San Fernando (seven minutes), Alhondiga Granaditas or Callejon del beso (ten minutes).

Third: the “limitations” of the Hotel building
You’ll get out from your car two blocks away from the Hotel and yes, you’ll carry your luggage to the Hotel and yes, the Hotel does not have an elevator.
And also there’s a place for bands to play in the middle of the Jardin so music and mariachis are always around.
Yes, but the Hotel is small and beautiful, it wasn't expensive and the mariachis gather around about 11 AM at about 9 PM they go away and you won’t hear a sound from the street.
And what was more important to us: THE STAFF WAS BEYOND FRIENDLY.

A couple of important things more: we are the kind of "have-breakfast-and-out-to-the-streets" travellers so we didn't went to the restaurant/bar there...and we're from Argentina, so language was not a problem for us.
The city (they say) is the most safe of whole Mexico, you won't have troubles in the streets.

If I had to come back to Guanajuato, I’d stay at the Hotel Luna again, no doubt.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank mcbish
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Great location on the Jardin Union. Lots of activity at night right outside the hotel. In Guanajuato. No parking. Use parking lots at 10 Pesos per hour. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2007

As mentioned in the other reviews of this hotel the beds were rock hard. It was also not very well insulated against noise. It was clean.
But the worst problem we experienced was stolen property. When we returned to our room after breakfast the first day our room had been done. When I was getting ready to go out again I could not find my bottle of perfume. Upon looking through our belongings my expensive tweezers and mascara were also missing. I went to the front desk and asked if anything from our room was turned in. No. I mentioned what had happened. No answer. We checked out of the hotel and went next door. We paid a little more but felt safer. The next day I went back to Hotel Luna and again asked if when it was cleaned anything was found. No. After I returned home I wrote an email to the hotel managment letting them know what had happened. I never received any reply or acknowledgement. Be careful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank warmwaters
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Just returned from a driving trip through central Mexico with my family and stayed at the Hotel Luna for a few nights. Like everyone had said the beds were hard, the hotel was at the best location available in Guanajuato and the staff was accommodating, but my problem is the parking with the hotel. When we eventually found a spot which took sometime because of the confusing tunnels and congestion, we had to park at least a 15 minute walk from the hotel. With all our luggage it wasn't easy to navigate the narrow sidewalks carting our belongings. So beware all of you who drive into this beautiful city and stay at the Luna it will probably be a challenge to find a spot for your car (plus $24.00./day) but overall a nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family