“Clean, central and affordable”
Review of Meson Del Rosario

Meson Del Rosario
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Tucson, Arizona
“Clean, central and affordable”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I really recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good price, no frills and a great location.

We visited the Meson del Rosario in June. There was a group of 17 US college students and myself, their professor. I was looking for something that was economical, central and CLEAN. I shopped around and after asking friends from Guanajuato, they recommended this place.

Note, I have been to Guanajuato several times and I have stayed in various hotels, including Hotel Luna which is twice the cost of Meson and on the central Jardin Union, and I have stayed in not well kept hotels such as "La Fragua" which is not even centrally located, but is cheaper. This hotel met our needs since the students did not want to stay in a pricier hotel but stil wanted something decent. The students stayed in triples (one double bed and a singe) and I stayed in a double (one full bed).

The rooms were very CLEAN. They even provide you with a bottled water free of charge, which I thought was nice. Note, the rooms are small but it met our needs since the students and I were never in our rooms. Each room has a TV, though not too many channels to choose from , but again, we weren't spending much time there anyway. The beds are a little stiff. The bathrooms were interesting. I had a shower curtain in mine but some of the rooms did not have a shower curtain between the shower and toilet so water got everywhere. Curiously, I have seen this several times in my travels in Latin America so I wasn't surprised but some of the students were, though they were good sports about it.

There is no restaurant but you have coffee shops 30 yards away walking towards the back of the hotel where you can see a cute plaza where they have music on some nights.

I also liked that they have quiet hours after 10 PM. They shut the main door, but you can still get in and out as you please though you are asked to be quiet, which allowed me to sleep despite the fact that I had the first room in the corridor.

The location is a minute from the government palace and a couple more minutes to the Jardin Union. No taxis were ever needed except to get to the bus station, but that was 40 pesos (4 dollars).

The staff was excellent. They were always worried about tending to our needs, including getting playing cards for a couple of the students who decided they wanted to play cards. They were also very patient in constantly giving us our room keys (like in most of Mexico, you leave your key at the front door when you step out). They provided me with a lot of touristic information and cautioned me of certain tours. They also got us taxis when we needed to go to the bus station.

All in all, I will be visiting the Meson del Rosario for all of my Guanajuato travels.

• Liked — clean cheap and excellent location
  • Disliked — Not too many double rooms available but triples worked out for our group
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Albuquerque
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Meson del Rosario is a great place. It is close to the main sights and though all streets run up and down hill in Guanajuato it does not require any steep climbing to reach this hotel.

The doorway is so ordinary that it doesn't seem like a place to enter, but inside the lobby is pretty and then the open area between rooms is beautiful to behold. They had our name for our internet reservation, which isn't always the case, and offered us three rooms to look at. The first, on the lower floor and the right side as you enter, was fine. The other two, on the left and upstairs, were much larger with a big closet and a spacious bathroom. These two, however, had a window in the room that looked out over a spot where cars pop up out of one of the tunnels. We chose the large room with the window and the tunnel traffic. This was not a problem for us. The buses are noisy and they stop between 10pm and 6am. Neither of us had problems sleeping due to road noise. It seems miraculous that this road outside the window exists. From the front of the hotel on the street there is no sign of it and a block behind the hotel there is a plaza with outside restaurants where one might expect this street to appear.

Both the bathroom and room had windows opening into the lobby. The bathroom featured a steel safety door that could be locked from either the bathroom or the room side. This would make it possible to open the bathroom window to let out steam and either leave the room or go to sleep feeling secure because there is a solid door locked between the bathroom and the room.

This hotel doesn't have a restaurant but there are many choices close by. People at the front desk were very courteous and helpful. The room was large and comfortable and the bathroom excellent. I enjoyed this hotel a great deal.

• Liked — comfortable and charming hotel in a great location
  • Disliked — the car tunnel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
israel
Reviewed October 18, 2007

First - a statement: when we travel abroad and our goal is to tour a place - we usually look for a nice, clean room with an ensuite bathroom. We take into consideration that we will actually use the room only for sleeping after a busy day. We prefer to spend our money in good food, museums, theatre tickets etc. For this purposes Meson del Rosario is O.K. We stayed there for 2 nights, got a room in the upper floor which was decently sized and clean. We had a window so there was no problem with light though no view. Yes the towels were thin but smelled o.k. The front desk stuff were very nice and helpful though fortunately - we speak Spanish. We did notice that they have problems with English. The beds were hard however but did not bother us. We paid around 49 USD per nights. We booked the hotel basing on the recommendation in the Lonely Planet which rated it as a "Mid Range" Hotel I am not sure that this is the right category. More like "Upgraded Budget". Nevertheless - O.K. for the money and purpose.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — thin towels and bed sheets
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artman
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Meson del Rosario is smack dab in the middle of the action in Guanajuato, adjoining a major thoroughfare. The Lonely Plant describes the hotel as having a "medieval feel" and this was true in both the best and worse sense of the word. We had a back corner room that didn't let in any light at all. It was a decent price (around $58), but the room was so small, with two small double beds crammed in, that you hardly had room to move. It had a musty smell as well. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in so far as we may have had bad luck to get one of their smaller rooms.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jazzpod

Travelers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Okay hotel for a young, unpretentious 20'something couple or a group of young friends. Quiet, clean enough, but the beds are rock-hard. Still, I would go back for the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard beds
  • Stayed April 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Licenciada
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 11, 2006

After staying at La Casa de los Espiritus Alegres (beautiful Bed & Breakfast in the Marfil area of town, THE BEST PLACE WE HAVE EVER STAYED AT) our first 2 nights in Guanajuato we looked for something closer to "el Centro Historico" when we stumbled upon Meson del Rosario. The lobby looked nice and kind of charming. Then we saw their prices and decided it was a great deal (a little bit less than $50 per night/double occupancy- we paid for the first night ahead of time). When we entered the room it seemed spacious and apparently clean. The first thing my husband and I noticed was the strong smoke smell combined with something else we couldn't quite point out. They have a very small tv (13 inch) on top of a very tall closet and they had no remote control available. Then the bathroom had only 2 bath towels no washcloths, no handtowels and no mat. Only one roll of toilet paper. My husband went to wash his hands and smelled the towels and told me not to even touch the towels because they smelled fithy (even though they looked clean) He said the odor impregnated on the towels was so disgusting (they smelled like body fluid). The sheets were so thin (like gauze). We were so uncomfortable that that same night we went looking for another place. We found a room at Hotel Luna (right in the heart of Jardin Union, great hotel, wonderful service AND CLEAN!!!) but was not going to be available till 1pm t he next day. We ended up staying the night but we couldn't get out fast enough of that place the next morning. I guess that if you don't care about little details like these, you could like this place. In appearance we did, but our experience ruined part of an otherwise perfect trip. I strongly recommend you spend a little bit more money and stay somewhere else. It will be worth it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay there!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank GretaBlueHdz
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2004

I have stayed here twice while studying Spanish at the Instituto Miguel Cervantes(highly recommended and inexpensive if study a language). This hotel is definitely central to all that is Guanajuato. Behind it is the childhood home of Diego Rivera, now a museum and must see. The architecture very old and wonderful, the rooms VERY nice for the price.
I payed 35 dollars a night both times, and for two people it is 45 dollars. MAKE SURE TO GET A ROOM AWAY FROM THE UNDERGROUND STREET, as these are very noisy. If this is too expensive or there is no vacancy, or the only rooms are streetside, the Hostel Canta Rana is very charming and even less expensive. It has an incredible view from the rooftop! It is not in the center of all the activity, but only a few blocks away.

10 Thank SpiritHiker