“Simply The Best!”

Ranked #9 of 75 Guanajuato B&B and Inns
Yakima
“Simply The Best!”
Reviewed June 26, 2007

Wow! What a wonderful place. I had spent the previous night in Guanajuato at a downtown hotel and hated it. Then I called Sharon and journeyed up the hill to her beautiful bed n breakfast. From the moment I walked in I was amazed at the absolute beauty of the home itself, its wonderful vistas of Guanajuato and the friendliness of her staff. I never locked my room door once. It was truly like staying with an old friend. And the owner, Sharon, couldn't be more accomodating or friendly.

The breakfasts were great. The pool is gorgeous with an unmatched view of town. We spent two lazy afternoons enjoying a cocktail before dinner, dining in town and taking a taxi back. That drive up the hill, away from the busy centro up to the Casa Estrella de la Valenciana was such a nice change. You can get to town easy but still enjoy the peaceful tranquility of this special place. On a scale of one to ten it was a ten. No kidding. Better than any hotel. Going to Guanjuato? Stay here!!!

• Liked — the owner, Sharon
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Automan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
indianapolis
Reviewed June 23, 2007

After one night at Quinta Las Acacias which proved disastrous (noisy, unresponsive management, etc) we ventured into Casa Estrella. What a breath a fresh air and lease on relaxation were we given by Sharon Schaap Mendez, the Inn keeper upon our arrival. She greeted us in such a warm fashion that we were instantly wooed by her charm, knowledge of the area, and impeccable taste in art and facilties of her Casa Estrella Inn. No detail has been spared. Quality furnishings, a superb bed(comfortable of the likes of Ritz Carlton) with fine linens, French toiletries, and beautiful bathrobes. We were in the suite La Sirena which had a sitting room, a fireplace in the bedroom (with candles in it), two balconies overlooking Guanajuato below and a large bathroom with a tub, double shower combo (beautifully tiled) and a STEAM room!!!

Diverse music was piped-in throughout the house which sits up in the hills of La Valenciana. Breakfast was served in the terrace overlooking the town and splendid pool and jacuzzi (tiled in blue with a star design after La Estrella, star in Spanish). It included lovely sweet breads, cereals, yoghurt, fruit, juices, coffee and a main course which varied day by day with some lovely Mexican dishes made to perfection by Angelica. The grounds were beautiful and the views outstanding. Sharon has surrounded herself with staff that is attentive and delightful. On one side of the dining room is a little area (tienda) where you can purchase various mementos of Mexico going from beautiful ceramics to clothing, etc...It was indeed difficult to leave every morning to go sightseeing.

The Inn has various rooms which vary in size and price but all impeccable. There is also the so called Casa Estrellita, which boasts a living room, dining room, and two bedrooms (each with their own baths) which has a fully loaded gourmet kitchen.

Sharon asked me how I had heard of the Inn. I mentioned the previous rave reviews on trip advisor. She told me they were not that perfect. I beg to differ.

Thanks for a great, relaxing stay away from the buzzling centro of Guanajuato.

OTHER USEFUL INFO:

1) The Inn is a short taxi ride from the centro. Do not be discouraged by this. Taxis cost 35 to 50 pesos each way (3 to 4 dollars each way.) If you drive into town, park your car and take taxis as parking is nearly impossible in town.
2) There are some restaurants nearby worth visiting: Jardin de Los Milagros in San Javier, nice and upscale.
3) Our favorite restaurant in town was La Capellina, italian and fusion dishes (Thai salad was great) and fab pizzas. Also they have a fixed three course lunch menu for 69 pesos totally worth it. Great service and hip atmosphere. Near the Teatro Juarez.

• Liked — Location, host, amenities
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gussito
New York, Ny
Reviewed April 10, 2007

There is very little I can add that hasn’t been said already about this wonderful B&B. Nevertheless, I thought I would write a very short and quick note because I wanted to confirm that they absolutely
deserve every word of praise they receive.

The meals are outstanding, the complimentary beer and tequila are above and beyond anything you would ever get at a 5 star luxury hotel, the views are gorgeous and the location is just far enough away to be quiet and peaceful but close enough to Guanajuato to have something fun to do every night. My own personal goal: to continue coming back until I’ve managed to stay in each of their rooms… what a great place.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank Urbanjalapeno
LoveGTO, co-owner at Casa Estrella de la Valenciana, responded to this review, April 14, 2007
Muchisimas gracias. We appreciate your comments and hope that we continue to live up to and exceed our guests' expectations. It's our chance to share our love of Mexico, it's population of artisans, and especially our beautiful city of Guanajuato.

Hasta la proxima! Until your next visit!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We have stayed in many hotels in Mexico and Casa Estrella is at the top. Our family of four stayed in the Casa Estrellita which was beautifully decorated and very functional for a family. Javier and the staff made us feel right at home and were happy to cater to our every need. The B&B is in a perfect location for visiting Guanajuato, Santa Rosa, Dolores Hidalgo and San Miguel.

• Liked — Beautiful view and accomodations
  • Disliked — Pool not heated
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit now before it becomes famous
  • Stayed December 2006
washington state
Reviewed December 19, 2006

Well, I was only going to give an above average rating but I just couldn't do it. In order to keep all the excellent ratings from looking fake, I told the owner, Sharon, that I would try to find fault with her establishment. I just really can't do it. I guess I could complain about the big CIMAT complex right next door that impinges a little on the view, or the construction that was going on there, or the shower that got the bathroom floor all wet, but these are such minor flaws that they hardly warranted lowering my rating. Not only is Casa Estrella a beautifully run establishment, the folks running it and working there are lovely as well. The bed was the best I had during my two week trip in Mexico as were the breakfasts. The decor, ambience and appointments are first rate and looked after with great care. Sharon frets over the tiniest details (like making sure the spare toilet paper rolls are in their own little wicker containers with lids). We also highly recommend using Javier as your local guide and airport transfer. His english is excellent (lived in Portland OR for 16 years) and since he grew up in Guanajuato, knows the area well. Guanajuato is an amazing place and gets an excellent rating as well. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — overall comfort, ambience and cleanliness
  • Disliked — CIMAT bldg. next door with construction, water leaking onto bathroom floor from shower
  • Tips/Secrets — leave worries at home
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank migobeachnow
Pleasant Hill, CA
Reviewed November 7, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a four-day stay at Case Estrella, in Guanajuato, Mexico. We visited Guanajuato to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We could not have been happier with the city and with Case Estrella.

The people at Case Estrella were wonderful, the room incredible, the food a daily delight. We met a great couple with whom we shared breakfast every day, and looked forward to our return each evening. The architecture and decor are perfect for the surroundings.

We are already thinking about when we can return.

• Liked — Room, service, view, romantic, food
  • Disliked — Nothing; everything was great
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank masouder
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed October 13, 2006

We had a great stay at Casa Estrella. Sharon has such pride in her home, and her staff, especially Juan and Javier, were awesome. Javier took us to San Miguel de Allende one day, stopping at all of the pottery towns along the way. We even got to sample local ice creams in Dolores Hidalgo - it was great. They also did a great job recommending restaurants...we especially liked the rediculously cheap French place in the corner of one of the squares in Guanajuato (Sharon will know the name). Valenciana and Guanajuato were charming, and we especially liked lounging around the hotel, just relaxing and soaking up the Mexican hospitality. We can't wait to return!

Stayed September 2006