“Beautiful Hotel”
Review of Quinta Las Acacias

Quinta Las Acacias
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed June 24, 2007

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Quinta Las Acacias. We stayed in the suite at the very top of the hotel, and had our own private linai. Our room was lovely with Mexican decor, and our bathroom had a two-person soaking tub.

Ana, the innkeeper, was so helpful and gracious. We are planning on going back soon!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank 217nashcaro
There are newer reviews for Quinta Las Acacias

Reviewed June 20, 2007

Having read previous reviews, even the ones that mentioned some problems with the hotel, were ignored at my own risk.

The hotel sits in a residential suburb of Guanajuato away from the noise of the Jardin in the Centro. I booked the reservation through the hotel’s website at www.quintalasacacias.com on a mastercard premium package which offered an upgrade, welcome cocktail and a flower arrangement and candles (did not really care about this) plus breakfast. Prior to check-in, I called the hotel to find out the status of the upgrade and was told that we would probably obtain it. Upon arrival, this was not the case. I insisted on this only to be challenged by Ana Perez, the Manager, on the veracity of my claim. A group had booked most of the rooms and it seems they were given priority. Ms. Perez handled my situation in a manner worthy of a novice in the hotel business. In addition, she mentioned that my reservation had been made through a travel agency (not the case) in a dismissive manner and as if I had obtained a particularly favorable discounted rate (U$S225 hardly seems like a discounted rate). The hotel’s website is run by Mexico Boutique Hotels. Ms. Perez’ brother Javier Perez owns the hotel which partly explains her behavior and treatment of guests. Perhaps Ms. Perez rudimentary use and understanding of English may have added to the confusion.

Our room, La Condesa, was a large room nicely appointed in 19th century imitation furniture. The bed was very firm and not comfortable. A previous reviewer mentioned the noise on the street-facing rooms. The earplugs on the night stands were an amenity that would later confirm my suspicion of why they were there in the first place. I was assured by the clerk at the front desk, that the traffic noise at night would be minimal. It was not. Trucks, buses and cars made it impossible to rest.

The bathroom was adequate if only in need of a remodel. By my estimate, it has been 10+ years since one was done. The toiletries seem home-made in refillable glass containers (fine in my environmentally conscious mind.)

Breakfast was pleasant and the homemade breads were nice. There were not “jams” (as claimed in the description of the hotel) but one jam. You could order from the menu and the omelette and French toast were nice as well.

While the rate was quoted in US Dollars, when I checked out the amount was converted to Mexican Pesos at 11 pesos to the dollar. All other hotels I have stayed in quoted their rates in Mexican Pesos (the correct, honest and probably legal way to do this).

In summary, I would not recommend this hotel. I am perplexed on how they have achieved a 4 diamond category from AAA.

Things to be aware of:

Rooms that face the street are: La Condesa, El Angel, La Abuela and Conde de la Valenciana. They are so called Standard rooms.

Suites in the back part of the hotel start at $260 + tax. Not worth it in my assessment of what other hotels offer.

Other hotels that you should consider in the same price category:

1)Villa Maria Cristina: 500 yards closer to town (from Quinta Las Acacias) also on Paseo de la Presa. A Small Luxury Hotel, rates U$S 250 for a suite to $375 for a master suite. Checked the rooms and they are superb.
2)Casa Estrella de la Valenciana: Superb bed and breakfast, with a home feel hosted by Sharon Schaap Mendez. Rates are U$S 170-220 for a large suite with sitting room, fabulous views of Guanajuato, a steam room, double shower and double sinks. Nothing has been missed on the amenities. See my separate review.
3)Camino Real is about to open their new addition to Guanajuato. It seems contemporary and was told that it will be a “minimalistic” type of establishment as far as the décor is the rooms is concerned.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank gussito
AnyGuanajuato, Manager at Quinta Las Acacias, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2007

As the General Manager of a small hotel, one becomes very involved with the hotel's experience and takes things much to heart when a guest leaves the property unsatisfied. Although 100% satisfaction is rarely obtained, we work very hard to make sure all our guests have a wonderful time and are treated with the best attention possible. I think this is reflected in the fact that our hotel has a very good rating on tripadvisor in general.
I'd like to respond to the guest from Indianapolis' comment directly.
This guest did book on our site (I'm not sure why Mexico Boutique Hotels is mentioned at all here) and chose the Mastercard premium package that clearly says that an upgrade will be one of the perks if available when guests arrive. The package also includes a welcome cocktail and a romantic montage with flowers and candles in your guest room. Our little hotel was fully booked when the guest arrived and the higher category rooms were paid for by this group. This was not favoritism but normal business procedure and we did not go against our word. We kindly explained this but to no avail. Our hotel is in fact family-owned. This means our hotel was built, renovated and continues to be operated by people that care about it deeply. I am mostly sad and disappointed by this guest's overall derogatory comments. I know that we have a nice little hotel and that our guests are given special attention and care. I only regret that we were never given the opportunity to show this to this particular traveler.

Ana Perez, general manager

Reviewed March 15, 2007

This is such a beautiful hotel and the staff so charming and friendly. My room was a joy, on the road side of the hotel but I didn't find it too noisy, perhaps because I slept like a log with the gorgeous comfortable bed, and the amount of walking I did in the rarified atmosphere! You opened the shutters in the morning and the birds were singing their hearts out in the garden opposite. The room was a joy, beautiful antique furniture, shiny wooden floors, wooden shutters and coordinating period drapes and bedspread. I really have never stayed in such a clean hotel, the maids scrubbed and polished my room every day, down to washing the mats and the overstuffed seat at the foot of the bed. The bathroom, well! A Roman-style bath, in beige marble, i.e. square, with high sides and a plug, and four taps, so you could use the shower and/or fill the bath, and as it was so deep it was a real luxury to wallow in after a hard day footslogging.
My only, very slight, complaint (and I would not let it detract from my Excellent rating of the hotel) was the food. It is not that I don't like Mexican food, but apart from the beautiful lentil soup with red wine I found it rather poorly cooked. The salmon and shrimps were definitely very overcooked. The sweet things were over-sweet. Coffee was a real bone of contention to me, never hot enough and very slow on the refills. I asked for capuccino several days, but it came as a latte, and I changed the order to ask for more coffee and less milk. This was hot most days, but on the last morning it was almost cold and with no froth! I did suggest in my written comments in the visitors' book that an insulated jug on each table would be better.
However, it was a joy to stay there, even though it was on the expensive side, but I was a single traveller and had an enormous room, so I guess two people could have stayed there for the same price.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank AshLawns
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I stayed at Quinta Las Acacias last November for a Don Eduardo Tequila media trip. Since I first contacted the hotel staff I received excellent service, they are commited to achieve full costumer´s satisfaction. They kindly helped us with the planning of a guided tour, Day of the Dead events and restaurant suggestions.
The hotel is really beautiful it combines the beauty of its classic architecture and modern ammenities. I would definetly recommend it!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank travelermex
Reviewed January 12, 2007

We were lucky enough to stay in one of the new rooms of the newly expanded hotel. It had a great hot tub, excellent new bathroom and comfy bed. The hotel, our room and all other places we saw were exceptionally clean and the staff is very friendly. We always looked forward to our breakfast in the restaurant since we got to try a different and traditional mexican meal each time.

It's an old house, and I was able to peak into one of the rooms from the original hotel (the house part) and they are quaint and clean as well. If you get the chance, you should absolutely stay!

3  Thank teagurl327
Reviewed December 16, 2006

I decided to stay at the hotel Quinta Las Acacias after re-budgeting our funds. We wanted something very nice for our last night in Guanajuato. I really enjoyed the location of the hotel--we spent nearly an hour or more just roaming about the park, etc. right out in front of the hotel. The walk to the city center was a full 20 minutes...but a nice one. I enjoyed watching everything while walking and it was a great way to sightsee.
The staff were superb...even allowing me to use their own computer to check my email. They were extremely polite, well-mannered, and friendly. Of course they also had a wonderful concierge service and since I've been home, I've received a couple of emails expressing their gratitude for our stay at the hotel.
The hotel grounds were beautiful and a great place to explore.

We stayed in "La Bufa" which was basically one of their lowest priced rooms. It's one of the "attic lofts". Truthfully, I was just a tiny bit disappointed in the room. After deciding to pay as much as we did, I was really expecting "fabuloso". I felt like the room was really nice...but I stayed at El Zipolote Mojado and felt like that room was nice too. There was a huge tub which I couldn't wait to soak in, only to find out there was no plug-- only showers.

In a nutshell, here are the pro's and con's (based on my opinions of what a 4 star hotel should include)

Pros:
-Great Service
-Nice location
-Hotel grounds are nice to explore a bit
-Breakfast included
-Comfortable bedding/linens
-TV
-Plenty of room

Cons:
-Non-typical Mexican cuisine in the restaurant.
-Restaurant staff & service friendly but mediocre / average
-No extravagant shampoo & conditioner / lotion combo. They just had regular stuff in a glass bottle.
-No business center/ Internet
-The "attic" rooms are right next to an ugly office they've added.

My main point: If you have a budget and you can only afford the lower priced rooms...don't bother. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place, but save your $200 for something else. The room just wasn't all that great. You can find a good room with good location and good service other places as well (try el Zopilote Mojado).
On the other hand, if you can afford one of the suites, definitely stay here. I got a peek at some of those rooms which were excellent and probably a bit better of a deal. In addition, I've already mentioned the great location and staff.

4  Thank JAKHouston
Reviewed November 30, 2006

Our first night`s room was in the original part of the hotel and was extremely noisy, both from traffic and creaky floorboards.
For our 2nd night the hotel kindly moved us to a suite in the new part of the hotel, which was excellent. The room was quiet and spacious with a superb jacuzzi.
Breakfasts are very high quality with a good choice. We took 1 lunch, which was also very good.
The staff are very attentive and helpful.
The local bus to the city centre starts about 200 mteres from the hotel, and is very convenient.
Guanajuato is fascinating.