“Great Location”
Review of Hotel San Diego

Hotel San Diego
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Guanajuato
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed at Hotel San Diego in Guanajuato for a week in April, 2013. I have stayed at this hotel twice before and always enjoyed it. This time the rates were much higher even though Easter week was over. We had adjoining rooms on the corner of the building with balconies overlooking the central plaza( the jardin) , the church and Teatro Juarez. The rooms were adequate with excellent showers. This hotel has an elevator, something uncommon in nearby hotels. The staff could not have been nicer. They were very helpful. At night the noise from nearby bars was annoying. Bring ear plugs or go out and join the fun. The hotel restaurant did not serve breakfast. The weather was great. Guanajuato is a beautiful town. I will stay at this hotel again.

Lynn Walker, West Hollywood, Ca. "hobbleguy"

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are probably less noisy
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank hobbleguy

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were so lucky to happen to be there the night of the World Championship Rally introduction. The party went all night. Noise was deafening but well worth it as we had front row seats from our balcony.. We had dinner in their restaurant and that was possibly the best lamb ribs I have ever had! Rooms were needing a bit of TLC. Beds hard. Rooms were clean.

Room Tip: Call the hotel as you are arriving by car. There is no parking so they will meet you behind the hote...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank oly99
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very loud surrounding area. Bring ear plugs. Parties and loud music and revving motorcycles right by window. Great location to see city though. Very clean. Comfortable. A hotel with character. Fast wi-fi in main lobby. Shower/bathroom window vent opened right up into public women's restroom in basement of building near garage which was awkward. Free water bottles. Expensive. Nice roof decks to view city and cathedral next door. There's also a ladder you can climb onto the rooftop and see the city lights at night which was neat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Justin B
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel was simple but lovely. Good location and comfortable bed. The water in the shower wasn't as hot as I hoped but I love my showers steaming, burning hot so I think my expectations might have been too high =P

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

As others have said this hotel is so close to the zocalo you can almost touch it, and thats why I chose it. However, Guanajuato is quite small and easily managed on foot so you can stay in a hotel outside the centre for a much better price and still walk everywhere. The hotels exterior is very nice, lovely areas to sit and relax in, but the rooms and furnishings are very old and not worth the price. There is no AC or fan but big opening windows with small balcony and anyway, I don't think it gets unbearably hot, we were there in July and the weather was quite pleasant. This city is, I think, one of the loveliest in Mexico, the zocalo and streets around it are beautiful. Be sure to take the cable car up to the "Pip" statue just on sunset for the most beautiful view of the city and surrounds as the lights come on, makes for a great kodak moment. Some great restaurants include Mestizo, Cafe Tal (a bit hard to find but well worth it) and Santo Cafe.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank moulder89
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great location just off the central park and beside the cathedral and beautiful Teatro Juarez, friendly staff, nice enough rooms for an older hotel, clean etc and very pure bottled drinking water provided in each room every day. How do I know this? I brought my TDS water meter tester with me! It is the purest bottled water I have every tested.

My only reservation with this hotel is finding the parking. It is located some 8 or so minutes away and was almost impossible to find. The concierge had to come with us. If you have not been to Guanajuato before you will not know that the downtown area has lots of tunnels and roads that are not straight. It is also in a valley so there are some hills to climb as well.

There was no A/C in the 2 different rooms but it was not needed at least in March when I went. As it is high in the mountains the nighttime temperature even in summer probably does not stay high.

All in all a great trip and I would consider returning to the hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are 2 or 3 singles travelling, one of the rooms has 2 single beds in the main area and a sepa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel location is excellent. It is across the zocalo and San Diego Church.. We booked a total of 3 rooms. The double rooms (no king beds) are so small that so we asked for 2 double beds instead so that our rooms would be bigger. The rooms are very basic and the furniture / carpeting are really old. There is no air conditioning or fan in the rooms so we opened the window to get some breeze in. Because we had booked 3 rooms, we were assigned the rooftop rooms (5th floor) where there was a large covered private veranda for our personal enjoyment. The private verandah had really offset all the "negatives" of the hotel as we stayed there talking, enjoying the hillside view and even brought back Mexican take-out grilled chicken dinner one night while we enjoyed the band music coming from the zocalo.

There is wifi in the lobby. You can get the password from front desk.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family