“Great restaurant”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have been twice in this restaurant. Both times the food was just great. Once the main course was a tuna steak, once it was fish fillet in a "revisited" mole sauce. Both were superb. I tried a few appetizers, all of them were very good. Appreciable wine list, with some excellent Mexican entries (quite expensive however). Service was attentive, and the owner was friendly and nice. The second time they paid for our taxi to go back home. Highly recommended.

5  Thank YouBeeTs

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We live in Mexico City, and dine out often, to give a context for this review. Dining at Les Mercedes was one of the best meals ever, and certainly a remarkable adventure in the best of Mexican cuisine. Their ingredients combine in flavors richer than their parts, with thoughtful melding of textures and tastes. The family members are committed to providing a comforting and outstanding experience. I highly recommend booking a table if in the Guanajuato area. And I should add, their prices are not steeper than other nice restaurants in the area.

4  Thank jvanscha1
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Thought on my last night in beautiful Guanajuato I would splurge and go to Las Mercedes.
Had a reservation but got there early so sat outside with a delicious margarita (90 pesos) while waitng for a table by the window with a view. Well my table never freed up so had to sit in the interior. There are only 3 tables by the window with a view so be sure to request one when making your reservation (can do online). I had the nopal cactus appetizer with goat cheese and salmon. Very yummy but only a few bites for $108 pesos. Then had the tuna main entree that came raw when I specifically told the waitress "cooked well or no rojo". You would think at a fancy resteraunt like this that the wait staff would know english. I sent it back and the cook, who did know english, came out and appologized for the misunderstanding and cooked it some more. It was tasty but a bit dry and very strange that an entre for 200 pesos wouldnt have anything on the plate but the main entree. You would think it would have had some veggies or potatoes or something with it. I had to ask for some bread or I knew I would still be hungry and one roll came. Paid 400 pesos for 1 person which was OK but I would have preferred them to have been more generous with the food for those prices. And they definitley didnt offer me a free taxi cab back home, which I read on one of the reviews on tripadvisor. I asked them if it was safe for a single female to walk alone to centro and they said it was (they could have offered the taxi at that point)
But it was only a 15 minute easy and pretty walk back down to centro from there.

2  Thank julievida
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I went to Las Mercedes this afternoon, and had a great meal with excellent service. The servers are all very knowledgeable, and the owner himself came out to greet me and checked in on me throughout my meal. They send you a great little amuse bouche to start - a chalupa (mini tortilla formed into a square cup shape and fried) filled with goat's cheese (Mexican), slices of nopal, tomato, alfalfa sprouts and a sweet fruit sauce. It was a great start to the meal. I then went on to try the salad of the day - an heirloom black tomato salad with baby arugula, caramelized balsamic vinegar, figs, goat's cheese, walnuts and lettuce, finished with a chile-infused oil. Perfect balance of flavours on that plate.

Next was the pasilla chile stuffed with Chihuahua cheese, wrapped in a flour tortilla, baked, and then finished with nata (Mexico's thicker answer to whipping cream). The textures were excellent: the tortilla kept its firm texture, the cheese kept everything together with its firm and chewy texture, and the chile brought a slight bite and was not bitter. It was basically an haute cuisine quesadilla.

I had the huitlacoche soup, which was tasty and again, had interesting textures with tortilla strips, avocado, sweet corn, tomato and mushrooms. I think I would have wanted the soup without mushrooms to bring out the huitlacoche, but still, it was a lovely presentation.

I then ordered two mains - of course I couldn't finish them but asked that they wrap up the rest of lunch tomorrow or dinner later - the chamorro (pork shank) and the tuna. The chamorro was the winner hands down. I order chamorro everywhere I go in Mexico, and this was one of the best I've ever had. The meat was fork-tender but not overdone, and the sauce was a little tangy, with tomato, epazote, cilantro and balanced with black beans. It took a lot of discipline on my part to not finish it as I knew I had another main coming.

I also ordered the tuna, which was made with a cactus fruit - xoconostle - which reminded me of quince, apple and pear at the same time. The sauce was tasty, but the tuna was not the type I love (fresh, never frozen and a deep red), rather, it was pink and previously frozen. Nevertheless, it was well seasoned, and if you're a fan of the light pink variety of tuna, this will likely be a dish you will want to order.

Very friendly staff, with a family atmosphere. A nice change too from the places downtown - the 10 min cab ride is worth it. I will most certainly return with my husband.

2  Thank EatnDrinknRoamn
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Three nights ago I was at Morton's...granted, that is a chain so it doesn't count so much,...but anyway my experience with food tonight made that Morton's memory feel like a night at Burger King.

I showed up late without a reservation in a torrential downpour storm. The owner seated me, in spite of my bright blue Nike Free tennis shoes, at the big family table. He had been sitting there working so I invited him to continue. He sat with me and shared conversation. The conversation alone was refreshing after not hearing a peep of English for a couple of days. But the food...whoa. I can't describe how incredibly awesome that filet was...and the beans...OMG. I can barely move I am so full. But I had to share this amazing meal with someone!

Food that great shouldn't be spoken of in terms of price. However, I have to say that I feel like I stole it! I believe I had the most expensive entree on the menu, either the first or second most expensive appetizer, a glass of wine, a large bottle of sparkling water...tip included I spent roughly $50 US. Ad I will say that about $14 of that was the tip. I just couldn't be a cheap [--] and leave only 20% with food and service like that.

If you do nothing else while in the beautiful city of Guanajuato, do Los Mercedes! It is not just a meal, it is a destination.

1  Thank Amanda P