“One of the most remarkable exican gourmet experiences!”
Review of Casa Mercedes

Casa Mercedes
Ranked #2 of 255 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Without regard of us arriving without reservation we were very welcome on Sept 15th! We tasted the special menu for the night (the best pozole, chile en nogada and mole we ever ate!!). Wine was very well chosen. The service was excellent. Definitely, a most visit in Guanajuato! We'll come back!!

3  Thank JITD57

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

The place is small and has that familiar feeling, you feel relax, you have a great view, the drinks ooohhh the drinks one special Garambullo Margarita, but that is just the package, just previews to whats coming, only the best food you can taste in Mexico, its not only true to the roots of our traditions, it has also imagination and the passion for greatness, in every detail you will be amazed. The Mexican Independece menu was a great reason to scream Viva Mexico. And for that I Thank You :)

3  Thank MBAPalma
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The prior reviews are all on the mark. The hotel is in a lovely private home. While the wait staff still needs more training the owner and chef are wonderfully warm and friendly. The menu is very good but the key is the execution. All the recipes have been carefully worked out and every dish was excellent. The two cream soup and Chamorro (suckling pig) Mercedes were particularly memorable.

Our meal was right at $100 for two which is quite high by Guanajuato standards but this is a world class restaruant and I think it would cost twice as much in any major US or European city. My only criticism is that the wine list is also rather pricey, starting at about $50/bottle but there is a very good selection.

My wife is dedicated to fine Mexican cuisine, inspired by her very talented great grandmother from Campeche and her grandmother from Puebla, referred to as the Mexican Julia Childs. We travel extensively around the world and sample everything from authentic street fare to Michelin 3 star gastronomies. We often find there is a generation [or two] of folks who don't even know what they are missing when it comes to their own cultural heritage, and it was wonderful to meet the Guanajuantense chefs who are passionately striving to conserve Mexican tradition and authentic flavors.

We will definitely return on our next trip. As of now this is clearly the top restaurant in the area.

2  Thank cpayne59
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My daughter knew I would be in Guanajuato for my birthday, so she researched all the restaurants she could find, and then sent me the gift of a lunch at Las Mercedes. She said Mom this looks like the best. And it was!! It is one I will long remember from the ambiance of the restaurant, the fabulous meal, the gracious host and owner, Jesus, and having Satchmo singing a birthday song (on a CD, of course) as a candle lit dessert was presented. What class!

1  Thank SydneyTucson_AZ
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This dining experience is a must for 'foodies' visiting Guanajuato. Las Mercedes is/was a private home in addition to being a small jewel of a restaurant, perched in the hills above Guanajuato, in an area called San Javier. From the minute you enter, greeted warmly by Jesus, and/or one of the family, you know it will be memorable. The decor is warm and inviting, beautiful pavers on the floor, dark wood tables, suble but interesting art on the walls. There are two rooms, plus a gorgeous terrace, where the bar is located. This was my second visit and from the amuse bouche to dessert, everything is beautifully presented and delicious. Complex flavors and seasonings abound, delighting your palate. All are old family recipes, and definitely not Mexican fare; this is fine dining! I look forward to my visit next year.

Sarah Connors, Tucson, AZ