“Definitely take the time to dine here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Mercedes

Casa Mercedes
Ranked #1 of 235 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Definitely take the time to dine here!”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was one of the best meals we had in our entire year and a half in Mexico. If you are going, stay at Villa Maria Cristina and take a taxi to dine at Las Mercedes. I'm travelling quite a bit across Latin America and always find that the best restaurants - the ones you remember for years and years afterward - are those that require you to 1) plan for 2) take a little taxi ride or a half-hour stroll down small streets and alleyways for and 3) are family owned or run. This is one of those restaurants. Make an evening of it. Sit by the window and soak it up. And I definitely recommend just telling your host: just please bring me dinner. I trust you...

You won't regret it...

• Visited August 2011
5 Thank MrTopher

Torreón, México
“Encantador!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

From the moment I called to make a reservation, I knew we were going to have a good time. My call was kindly attended by a gentleman.

We arrived and we received a very warm welcome by the owner of the restaurant, Mr. Jesús. I was told by the people at the hotel that it was a small place, but I was surprised since it was even smaller than I imagined. Which at the end was part of the enchantment of our dining experience.

The service is superb, and you feel the staff is there only for you, without feeling overwhelmed or interrupted. We learned from the owner and the staff the history of the place, how they came to business and the secrets and charm of the recipes. I won't tell much, so you can learn the stories by yourselves, except that these are VERY OLD recipes.

The environment and decoration was so warm that it was perfect for a romantic dinner for my wife and me. There was also this very fine Jazz quartet (named Gadjo) playing live and making our experience even more delightful,

If you want recommendations, they will readily give some advice, which I found fun and entertaining, though useless, since the way the owner describes every dish make your mouth water and you find yourself wanting to taste everything.

Don't miss the Cocktail de Mezcal y Xoconoztle (which is the fruit of the nopal, the mexican cactus). I had the Sopa Negra de Cuitlacoche (corn fungus) and the Filete al Ajillo Campirano. My wife had a salad with a spectacular dressing and the Pollo con Mole de Pistacho.

Everything was perfect, in temperature, presentation and flavor balance.

My wife and me were thinking in a one-hour dinner, and then continue with our celebration plan. We had such a good time that we were there for two and a half hours. We even had a chance to have a pleasant and relaxed chat with the jazz quartet.

You have to go there. We will get back sometime.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank JHernandezGallegos
“Simply Magnificent; Perfect in Every Way”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

What could I possibly add to the hundreds of reviews that would just echo the very same things I would mention ... From the moment I arrived, without a reservation, and was graciously seated ... to the linen napkins and amuse bouche that began my meal all the way down to the live jazz ensemble playing throughout my dessert when the owner called for a cab to take me back to my hotel, this restaurant displayed charm, class, and above all, quite possibly the best food I've ever eaten in Mexico anywhere. Las Mercedes could easily hold its own in New York City or any other major cosmopolitan market. (In fact, a review from the New York Times proudly hangs on their wall when you enter). This is a destination not to be missed when in Guanajuato.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank washwestcc
Chihuahua
“Best contemporary mexican food, but with traditional receipes!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

It is hard to dind your way around Guanajuato, and to Las Mercedes, but once you are there, both are worth it every minute invested in getting there. Located in the north portion of the city, near La panoramica (Panoramic street) this restaurant has one of the best kitchens in the bajio area, with a value you will not belive. Every dish it is unique on it's own, with all the traditional flavor of Mexico, but balanced and cook to perfection to make a memorable ocasion. They also have a nice list of wines, and the view at night is wonderful. Just remember it is closed on monday. Do not forget to try the xoconostle cocktail!

5 Thank Signore_Colomo
Oakley, California
“Amazing Mexican Cuisine”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

You have to go and eat at Las Mercedes! Wonderful restaurant and great staff! The food was amazing and left me wanting more! This restaurant is a must and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2012