“Wonderful food, ambience and service”
Review of Cocina 88 - CLOSED

Cocina 88
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband, daughter and I ate here on a recent stay. It was superb. We were made to feel very welcome when we arrived. The service was attentive and helpful,as we were talked through the many steak options. We started with a Marguerita which was one of the best I had in Guadalajara, shortly followed by a complementary amuse bouche of lobster and vodka soup - delicious. Cocina 88 is a restaurant in one of the old colonial houses on the Avenida Vallarta. The building is beautifully restored and there is plenty to look at. The other diners were interesting too; a great spot for people watching. My husband and daughter had the fillet steak with pasta and pesto. They both loved it. I had a cut of steak I wasn't familiar with, but as with everything offered here, it was cooked impeccably and presented beautifully. My husband was invited to visit and sample from the wine cellar. They had many good Spanish and South American wines and he enjoyed being talked through the various options. We all shared an incredible chocolate dessert (whose name escapes me but do try it if you are there), and a crepe suzette. The food at Cocina 88 is of a very high standard. I would be happy to eat here every week if I was in Guadalajara and will return on my next visit to Mexico. Thank you to all the staff for looking after us so well.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

This place is only blocks from our home. It's an incredible Spanish mansion and until recently was probably our favorite restaurant in Guadalajara. I won't go into what used to be... only to say that we are so disappointed what has happened. The owner is still the same, but they changed chef's, and suddenly the wonderful chilled room full of meats and seafood to select from became an almost empty sad place... The wonder temperature controlled wine room now sports half filled shelves and the wait staff seems like they have other things they'd rather be doing. Hope burns eternal that this place will turn around, but after waiting now for almost a year we're starting to feel like it's more likely that someday soon we'll walk by and see an empty building. It would be a huge loss.

3  Thank ManzanilloLou
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Liked the food, the people and the service. A little steep in price but well worth it.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I went there with my husband for dinner, and we would definitely go back!
The service might be the best service we had in Mexico: You can go to the back of the restaurant (which the house is beautiful) and choose the cut of the meat or piece of seafood you would like; my husband wanted to have a glas of red wine so the waiter (they all speak English) gave him a taste of a Cabernet and a merlot to choose from.
I have to say the meat was a bit tasteless but all the side dishes were very good.
In the end they bring you the dessert options to choose from and we chose to share a little chocolate warm cake (petit gateau) which took about 25 minutes to be ready. We didn't like to wait that long, but when it came out: OMG! We wished we had one each! It is divine!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Recommed by our hotel. The best food and service we have had in a long time. A bit more expensive but well worth it.