“GREAT ARGENTINIAN RESTAURANT” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Matera

La Matera
Ranked #31 of 889 Restaurants in Guadalajara
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Buenos Vinos, Buenos Amigos, Buenos Aires
“GREAT ARGENTINIAN RESTAURANT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This restaurant has been here in this location for at least 14 years. My first meal was back in 1999 and I had a "Churrasco" and I did not like it. It did not compare to "La Estancia Gaucha" located in the same city in Ninos Heroes.

Well needless to say I have been to La Matera approx 4 times since 1999 and on Friday a colleague of mine decided to have a dining meeting at La Matera for a business discussion. I made a reservation for 2, reservation is a must it is a very well known and liked restaurant, at 2 PM. I arrived first and they had a table that I had asked ready for us. It was a table in the terrace and on the railing. I did notice that the music although not loud did bother my hearing.

My friend arrived and we discussed what we were going to eat, I suggested the grilled octopus and he wanted meat so we ordered a grilled octopus and a 350 gm Beefe de Choriso. We particularly asked for each of both dishes to be divided in two seperate plates and we wanted them as differrent entries. I first ordered a sangria, was not that great. My friend had regular soda drink in its can but served on a glass with ice.

The octopus is generally served whole with baked and grilled potato cut in wedges. Since I am cutting down on fat I asked for steam vegetables and my friend wanted the potato. It was than served as we had asked and we both really enjoyed it very much, I sincerely believe this is one of the best octopus around if you come and order it I suggest you asked the server to have it cut up byt he cheff after it is grilled, this is much easier to enjoy.

The Beefe de Choriso was than served and again it came with an Argentinian Salad, it is ok but here again "La Estancia" has a better Argentinian salad, it is a salad comprised of romaine lettuce, wedges of tomatoes, purple onions and an olive oil with a touch of pepper and lemon, very simple but tasty. The La Matera had about three different types of lettuces and white onions this does change the flavor it is more sour than it should be.

But let me tell you the Beefe de Choriso was cooked just as we ordered it and it turned out to be tender and full of flavor, this cut is something I will continue to order in the future. I highly recommend it! My friends tell me that the other cuts of meat are just as good and that I should try them (maybe I will in the future.)

They also have pastas and Pizza soy you do have a variety of dishes if you are not looking for a beef dish.

Since I was the only one that would drink wine a botlle would have been exccesive so I ordered by the glass. The first glass, a Shiraz, tasted a little bitter and had more bubbles than it should have, it turn out that the by the galss wine is served by a machine that uses a gas for pressure so it changes the flavor. The server informed me of the manner it was served so I asked her if it can be served straight from the bottle she comply with my wish and a second glass of wine was served in that manner and it was much better. So if you are going to drink wine order by the bottle, or by glass directly from the bottle.

Over all I give it 4 stars and it loses one because of the music and and the Argentinian salad, this by the way is an Argentinian restaurant. But the service ent and the food are great, again you must try the grilled octopus!

If you like meat this is one of the restaurant you should try while in Guadalajara!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Hector B

Mexico
“Always a very high standard of food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This Restaurant always has the highest standard of food and service. This time there was no difference. The staff work very well as a team as was shown that day when it was our Waitresses Birthday. Isabel is her name and we have been very fortunate to have her wait on us a few times in the past. She is great, very personable and always willing to assist. We were one of the first clients that day and the staff had arranged a get together for her and presented her with a cake. It was great to see the camaraderie of all involved. The food was outstanding. Three of us shared the Vacio which was huge and was perfectly cooked. There was ample room for a doggie bag as well!! My wife enjoyed the Sopa Campesina which also was delicious.
If you ever have the chance and have the urge for great Argentinean food La Matera is the place to go.

• Visited April 2013
“One of The best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

En cortes... De lo mejor...
Vinos.... Variado y buen gusto...
Ambiente casual y acogedor
Great food... Excellent price and good staff
Really recomend... One of The best in gdl...

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank chuy06
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Argentinian? This a good one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Steaks are well prepared according to your order and aregood size; service is prompt and always ready for you. They have one of the largest wine menu in town. Prices are reasonable and as the place is always fully packed, it is a delight to eat at La Matera at mid day ( 2 pm, mexican lunch time). Care for steak? Go to La Matera. At night, there is a lively bar downstairs serving tapas.

• Visited December 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“Boca de Vaca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

La Matera has successfully translated that Porteno attitude to eating to its location a couple of thousand kilometres up North. Huge quantities of top quality beef, washed down with wines which are certainly more than just passable.
Prices are fair, service is spot on, and if you really love your meat aromatic and bloody, this is the place to go.

Visited December 2012